In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHTF Trading Goods

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Was talking about gold and silver on another thread. Someone brought up SHTF. No think what do you have now that could be used for trade or barter if it happened.
Gold and silver coins are OK but not really useful cause you can't eat them and if it was really bad they would be worthless.
So what would you squerrl away to use as trade bait.
Common caliber ammoand reloading supplies
Salt and canning equipmrnt
Medicines (Vitimins and such) and medical equipment (firstaid stuff)
but what other stuff comes to mind?

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
- Max Lerner

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toilet paper, you gotta hoard the T.P.!!!!
    It's worth it's weight in gold if the SHTF[;)]

"Knowledge talks, wisdom listens"
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

americashapeflag.gif
    "If I'm ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it"
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    1) Gold and silver will always work - there's always someone who will want that sort of item, even if things got REALLY bad.

2) Ammunition - 9mm (common caliber)

12ga - 2 3/4" since these will fit 3" chambers and are more flexible because of that

.38 special - since these will fit .357 revolvers as well, but not vice versa

45 acp - pretty common caliber and powerful to boot.

7.62x39 and/or .223 - AK or AR.

3) Durable food items like Spam or MREs.

4) Batteries - AA and D cells (I think these are the two most commonly used sizes).

5) Alcohol. It doesn't go bad, most people like to drink, and in a pinch it can be used to sanitize things.

6) Honey. Doesn't go bad and is a fairly portable food source. And most people like sweets.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    guns , guns and a few more guns . hopefully enough common sense and knowledge to be able to live off of the land and take care of my family.

Neo-Jedi
    Order
    th_reblogo.gif
    th_israel-army_04.gif
  • Options
    burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    invest in lead; it'll get you all the gold you want.

ammunition - currency of the 21st century.

...if it's worth doin', it's worth overdoin'...
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Honey CAN and WILL go bad. It can actually sour, and when it does, it is nasty! Of course, when it goes sour you are probably a step closer to distilling it! [:o)]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Ritz Crackers and a dustbuster!

That way, I get all the babes that got tossed for eating crackers in bed! Go on & hoard your ammo!

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:"Gold and silver coins are OK but not really useful ... "

Only the dead have no use for Gold! I'll take gold over spam any day!
    Easy to carry and universally desired. If there's anyone out there who
    wants to send me some of their old dirty gold I'll take as much as you
    can ship! [8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I'd buy up all the Slim Jims and Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs! Those ought to go for top trading dollar.[:D][;)][8D]

heat1.jpg
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quoting Richard Pryor,

quote:In America if you have money or a gun you can eat anytime you want to

• Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold is questionable, because you are counting on somebody being dumb enough to still want it instead of food.

Canned goods, salt, flour, and sugar packaged in plastic or glass containers, and ammmunition seem like good choices.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I would rather have a bucket of water, some detergent and cloth if SHTF.

I'd want to use the fan and not stink up the place.

President of the PolarBear Order
    Polarbear.gif
    Motto : Polarbears walk a lonely path..

But we sometimes do sit back, relaxes and downs a whisky. =o)
    In fact, that's what we live for.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would shoot anyone that tried to trade me spam for anything.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Bleach to sanitize water,

dry food,ex: coffee, rice, peanut butter, flour, cooking oil

Food presevation ex: canning, salt

Hand tools

22 ammo, everyone has a 22.

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Several people told me that following Katrina the hottest barter material was cigarettes.
  • Options
    The Load RoomThe Load Room Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I would shoot anyone that tried to trade me spam for anything.

Isecond that![V][:D][:D]

07.jpg

"Yeah but will it hold up in court?" TLR
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys want field training? go live in mexico for a year and bring nothing. youll learn real quick how to survive and youll learn whats important and whats not. take notes and when the ballon goes up, youll live.
    odds are, all your stores and all that so called planning you did will be wiped out and youll be on the run anyway, so learn from scratch what you need to collect. your needs change with the area. what you planned for then, may be not be what you need now.

learn from the squirrels....not the one posted above. learn from the real squirrels on how to plan and survive.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I would say:
    1- guns & ammo, then you can take anything
    2- Drugs, medications & medical help
    3- Food & water
    4- Shelter
    5- Gas, diesel, propane, misc fuels
    Walte
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One group of items that I would definitely NOT be storing up for trading material is guns, ammo, or any components for reloading. If they do not have the means to "take" what I have, I d@mn sure ain't going to provide them with the means to do so. No matter how "nice" or "trustworthy" they seem at present, in a SHTF scenario, tomorrow they may feel that they NEED what I have. No thanks.

The basics are always good, food, water (and/or the means to purify it) medicine, clothes, since YOU need them too. If you want to branch out, there will always be a demand for the "addictive" substances. Alcohol, tobacco, drugs. Personal hygiene items would bring a fair price from some. (Chapped "cheeks" are no fun after a while) Consider "ladies" hygiene, etc. items. What would a lady make a man do, to acquire some of "those" items? [;)]

Depending on how bad the SHTF scenario is, seeds, basic "how to" books, simple hand tools (non-power) would all have value.
    Don't forget the most important item......CHOCOLATE. [:p]

I have to wonder, if these people did not have any guns, food, water, etc. What would they have to trade? (That I would want)

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    John N.John N. Member Posts: 421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,I have 12 cases of MREs left over from the Y2K panic.Are they still good?[:p]Just kidding about the MREs but I still have ammo for guns I sold years ago.I am a pack rat about things like that when I don't think they will ever get any cheaper anytime soon.[:)]

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -- James Dean
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boots and socks would be valuable.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..........friendlies with stuff you need. then, bum it.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    learn from the squirrels....not the one posted above. learn from the real squirrels on how to plan and survive.

Bobski,

What technique do you suggest? Should I try to make friends with local squirrels, take them out for a drink, pump them for info, pick their brains etc.?
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have to wonder, if these people did not have any guns, food, water, etc. What would they have to trade? (That I would want)

That is exactly what I was thinking.

If something ever did happen, the last thing I am going to do is open up my home as the local pawn shop. For all of you with great ideas of getting rich trading ammo, tp, toothpaste, socks, spam, whatever, sooner or later, no matter how well planed you think you are, and no matter how many guns you have, you will eventilly be over run if they know you have all the things they want. You would be better off keeping as low a profile as possible, instead of being known as the place to go to get stuff.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herbs & Spices, especially pepper. Keeps well, light and immensely useful for concealing "off" flavors when refrigeration is not an option. Obviously salt as well. If one is truly in a survivalist "end of civilization as we know it" situation, gold is not going to do anyone much good. Seeds & medical items as others have mentioned are other choices I'd make.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on how badly the SHTF. . .is it just local chaos like New Orleans, or is it out and out destruction, like post-nuclear war?

These would be useful commodities:

1. Water, including water purification tablets, filters, systems.
    2. Food: Canned goods, MREs, grains.
    3. Cigarettes.
    4. Hard liquor (can't spoil, less volume).
    5. Spare clothing, including shoes, rain gear.
    6. Blankets/sleeping bags/bedding.
    7. Flashlights/candles/batteries.
    8. Soap, detergents, toilet paper.

Guns, first aid kits, shaving kits, medicines, radios, walkie-talkies, binoculars, other personal hygiene products, are all nice to have, but they arent necessarily easily tradeable.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the SHTF there won't be any trading or bartering going on. The only interaction between people will be life or death struggle for what they need right then to survive, most likely food.

They won't have anything to barter with, the people with food wont have enough to feed themselves forever so they wont have any to trade. Those who have no food cannot afford to accept the notion of "not trading" so they take what they can by force. force is the only currency of value.

Ten years, or maybe a hundred years, after the SHTF, things have calmed down a little, some people have learned how to survive, most have not. The few that remain will be the toughest ones and a few their weak slaves.

These people cannot be easily intimidated or robbed of their goods, they have to learn to get along and now a sort of balance of terror has been achieved, free commerce and a barter economy will emerge. Now is time to build wealth by unearthing lots of old SHTF dumps that people abandoned when TSHTF.

Much money will be made by the survivors, the economy will flourish again, and so will civilization, someday, in about a thousand years after the inbred barbarians who rule the world decide to turn to peaceful agriculture.
  • Options
    imacboimacbo Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MREs good for seven years and taste good. .22 cal semi rifle. You could carry 2,000 rds and not really feel the weight. Water, water, and more water. Water pure tabs. Anything that will make water drinkable. A good knife. Fishing pole and tackle box. Some sort of heating device (wood stove, colman stove) Someway to say warm and cook. Not everything but a few that I could think of.
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wundudnee and beantown have 2 of the hottest items i think, boots/socks (or any footwear for that point) and blankets
    ask anyone who has humped any distance, hurtin dogs are the worst pain there is when you GOTTA stay movein
    and blankets for cold nights? ever had to be on the go and un-able to sleep cause of cold/wet? vets know...
    never give possible future enemy ammo/arms...are ya nuts? give them those and then they take whatever else ya got they want later!
    next the addictives, someone will always want them
    after that whatever you can get hold of you dont need for yourself or yours, theres always someone that will want the strangest things
  • Options
    edited November -1
    squirrels forget where 9/10th's the nuts they bury were put. all the squirrels forget, and 9/10th's of all the nuts a squirrel finds are from other squirrels. thus, he didnt plan his survival, ALL the squirrels did for each other. each squirel does his part to help the collective.
    learn from the squirrels.
    you cant survive alone. you cant pack enough. eventually, youll need more. shtf depends on everyone allowing everyone to have whatever they need, and only what they need, leaving the rest for others.
    ever come across an old campsite and find wood in a cold campfire pit left for you?
    learn from the squirrels.

Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During Y2K the guy across the street ask me if I was prepared.
    I told him all I have are guns and lots of ammo.
    He said he didn't have a gun and I said I know.
    He got the strangest look on his face when he figured it out. lol
    AC
  • Options
    WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alcohol
    Tobacco
    Chocolate
    Salt, Pepper, spices
    bic lighters
    duct tape
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ref: water, and purification tabs- they don't work on a LOT of stuff. They may kill off MOST of the bacteria- but have no effect on chemical pollution in water, and protozoa like Giardia. Yep, have a bottle of iodine tabs taped to the cap strap on my canteens- but I also have a backpackers water filter- about the size of a beercan, good for couple thousand gallons.Better outdoor stores everywhere. Thing I have really worked on stockpiling (I live WAY out in the sticks) is NEIGHBORS- GOOD neighbors- folks that can help me/ I help them- I borrow from them, they from me- mutual defense, and in worst case scenario, my early warning system. Strength in numbers. [^]

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.