In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

no serial # transfer?

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
how do you buy a rifle that isn't C&R but has no serial number?
does it have to go to an ffl?
thanks
tom

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before the Gun Control Act of 1968 only imported handguns (since 1919) and domestically produced handguns (since 1937) required serial numbers. Huge numbers of .22 caliber rifles as well as a lot of cheap shotguns never had serial numbers applied when they were produced. Simply make a notation stating no serial number visible. Note that this does not apply to rifles which have had their serial numbers removed, transferring such firearms is a felony.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer the original question, if it is not a C&R, it has to go through an FFL if it has a serial # or doesn't have a serial #.
    edited November -1
    I am working on the notion that this is a private party sale and not an interstate transfer. Is this correct?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Simply make a notation stating no serial number visible.

Mark...that brings up another question...do you enter them in your bound book that way as well? Thanks!

It's good having you back on the forum![8D]
    edited November -1
    Yes. You can use NSNV (No Serial Number Visable) and this is acceptable to any BATFE compliance inspector, or at least is has been for the past 25 years that I've been in business.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. My bound volume has 4 ea Mossberg 152s, which never HAD serial numbers. Same for the 3 Remington 550-1s, no serial numbers. That's how they go in the book.