In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any antique sewing machine experts here?(pics adde

proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
got 3 out of my moms house, she passed 09/18/08. she always sewed and i want to refurb these. will add pics later if some one is in to this stuff. thanks

Comments

• Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    I'm an expert in storing them. I got my Grandmothers, and my wife has her Grandmothers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    2 are in cabinets, so they fold up for use. the tables themselves are worth displaying.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some pics and what kind are they? I've owned about 100 over the years.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Got a few. this is my prize, made in 1874.

TreadleSinger012.jpg

Guy was hauling it to the dump. I gave him $100.00 for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by proapp
    2 are in cabinets, so they fold up for use. the tables themselves are worth displaying.

If my house was bigger I would display. They are beautiful. They look like what searcher5 posted. I have no idea what they are worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

TreadleSinger012.jpg

mom had one of these and here pos husband sold it.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    quote:Originally posted by proapp

If my house was bigger I would display. They are beautiful. They look like what searcher5 posted. I have no idea what they are worth.

thats our promblem, no room. but mom made all my clothes till i was about 10 so im making room. sure miss her.....
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

TreadleSinger012.jpg

Got one of those. Belonged to my Mother, who got it from her Mother.
    Singer stocked the belts for them until a few years back. Some stores may still have a couple 'somewhere in the back'. They're usually leather with a heavy duty staple connecting the ends.

Good luck on getting one adjusted if it needs it.
    Mine will no longer pick up the thread from the bobbin, guess sewing leather caused that. Letting an 'expert' fool with it made it worse. [V]

Allen
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't get anyone to help you, E-mail me and I will send you the phone number of a very good friend. He operates a harness shop and can make any sewing machine sew. He would be happy to try and help you over the phone. He doesn't do E-mails.
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Here's one that gets used every week. This one somehow made it to Slovakia. My wife's mom used this to sew up some of my pants and was even able to repair a pack for me. Parts are readily available over there for the old singers so when you redo yours, take a photo of the part and I can find it for you.

These things are pretty cool and handy if you have them set up.

NICK

singer.jpg
  • Options
    bojangies46bojangies46 Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got this one
    14922.jpg
    14921.jpg
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are too many of them out there to have a market. their value is in the ability to sew things and make money with piece work.
    100 to 200 is average.
    i can fix those old machines if it doesnt stitch. just ask. it requires an engineering degree to work on! they are the most mechanical device ever invented...second to a locomotive.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are very cool. Beautiful too! My Grandma used to sew on one with the foot operated treadle. Like Bobski said, they just don't have much financial value since there are so many of them out there.
    Thanks for the memories,
    Ed
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad repairs and restores those. A trick on replacing your leather belt. You can still get the leather belts just about anywhere. The trick is to pre-stretch it before you cut it to length. Hang the belt and put a little weight on the end and let it hang for 24 hours, then cut to fit. Presto!

I have a Singer 29-4 leather machine that will sew till the cows come home. Don't use it very much, but it does come in handy now and then!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a sewing machine for wife at an auction- it is a table top (hand crank) Vickers Vibrating Shuttle- nice wooden case, uses a totally different bobbin than American machines (yes, Vickers of machine gun fame) Not many bidders- IIRC, cost me about $40. From the 1920s.