In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ok answer this one

lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
say im lucky enough to go to heaven when I die and then stupid enough to say to St Peter, I wish to petition the lord our God to give me a bucket of water and send me to hell that I may lend one moment of relief from the fires of hell to one soul. what would Gods answer be?

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I'd say that was one question you wouldn't get to ask.

Nord
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Those souls do not deserve to be reliefed. Here's your bucket and bye bye.

By the way son water boils at 220*....I wouldn't throw it on yourself.[:D]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on elevation
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never wanted to paint a fence before, so I don't know what the best type of paint is.

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    He'd probably respond like the Eagles said in "Hotel California"...."Once you check in you can never leave".[:D][;)][:o)]

heat1.jpg
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Why is the grass green and the sky blue

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lazerus, it all depends on what religion you ask.

As far as Catholicism goes, that idea is incomprehensible. The souls in hell are there through their own rejection of God's mercy and forgiveness. Really, that's the only way you can get there.

"The fact is that when politics want to bring redemption, they promise too much. When they presume to do God's work, they do not become divine but diabolical."
    - Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you ask him?

Sako Fan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Because if it were the other way around you'd be upside down
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sometimes its one thing during another
    and if its not one thing its two
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gbeggrow
    He'd probably respond like the Eagles said in "Hotel California"...."Once you check in you can never leave".[:D][;)][:o)]
    You mean: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." [8D]
  • Options
    drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

If the sky was green too, we wouldnt know when to quit mowing[:D]

Never trust a government that doesnt trust its own citizens with guns 80076-T.gif
    --Thomas Jefferson
    gopher2.gif
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    HE wouldn't say anything - he'd hand you a bucket
    of gasoline and send your silly butt on it's way!
    [:D]a.gif
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I think you'd be better off quitting while your ahead.[:D]

Or maybe I should say,"Quit before you get any farther behind."

[;)][;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet you wind up in New Orleans!

Butch HC

Why me Lord,
    What did I ever do,
    To deserve even one,
    Of the heartaches I've known.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He would tell you to tell them to wait for winter,it might get a little cooler then.[:D]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He would say "Water you thinking of".

"Tax evasion is illegal; tax avoidance is an art form"
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you believe the Bible, you will find the exact answer in Luke 16:19-31. The answer is no.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking about this one all day, tried several times to address it, and cannot think of but one truthful answer.

I believe my God's answer would be "go ahead"

To my way of thinking, my God wants me to do what I think I can to help the tortured souls of Hell, or any place.

I have now Biblical references to point to, or any deep philosophical reasoning, just my firm belief that if you can do something to help, you should.

Probably has something to do with being big dumb and southern!

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    My own belief is that Heaven and Hell are in the same place. Hell is the absence of God. It is not a place that actually physically burns and where people go thirsty. These immages are as parables, allegorical usage of terms, to show the desparation of souls who are without God. Viewing it in terms of allegory and parables, God is the water.

Jesus Christ could not describe what the Kingdom of Heaven was. There are no terms in human language that can describe what Heaven is. The best Jesus Christ could do is describe what Heaven is like. He could explain Heaven only by trying to form immages in people's minds with things they were familiar with. His descriptions of Heaven started with, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like..." and then he would tell a parable to give the listener something tangible to imagine. This is because, even Jesus Christ could not put into words exactly what the Kingdom of Heaven really was.

These parables include the story of the treasure hidden in the field, where someone finds the treasure, then hides it again, and goes and sells all he has to buy the field. It also includes the parable of the pearl of great price. You might remember, the merchant is offered the most fantasic pearl possible, and he goes and sells everything so he can buy this one treasure. Such is the very best Jesus Christ could do to describe Heaven in terms people could understand.

Describing Hell would be similarly problematic. In fact, the term Jesus Christ used to describe Hell was Gehena, which, literally translated means, "City Dump". When Jesus said there was was a Hell, where the fires burned eternal and the worms would eat the flesh, he was using the City Dump as an example of what Hell was like. When he made reference to Hell, it was obviously in parable form. The City Dump was (and still is in many places) a place where fire was always burning to consume combustible material, and where maggotts and worms were always at work. Again, this is an immage people could start to comprehend, not an actual description of what Hell really was, but an immage that people could begin to grasp.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A man died and went to heaven. [:I][:I][:I] From amongst the quiet and peaceful clouds, he looked upon hell and saw the hullabaloo going down in Hades every weekend. [}:)][}:)][}:)] Most respectfully, he asked St. Peter for a weekend liberty call at hell. [:0][:0][:0]

Months went by and once again our friend became restless at the degeneracy witnessed going down in hell. [8][8][8] The music, the sex, the drugs, and the parties. "Please St. Peter, would you let me spend a week's vacation in hell?" to which the Gatekeeper adamantly agreed. [V][V][V]

Years went by and the man finally became bored and tired about the routine going on in Heaven. [:(!][:(!][:(!] "I've had it with the righteousness going on at this place. I demand to be let go from Heaven and be cast upon hell!!!". His wish was finally granted. [|)][|)][|)]

He was released upon hell where a lake of fire was waiting for him. [:(][:(][:(] Rivers of tears, oceans of sadness, and clouds of gloom fell upon him. "Oh Lord, this is not hell as remember it." To which Satan replied: "You were a tourist then, but are a resident now.... Welcome to the Jungle!!!!" [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Believe it or not, this is the story I have used for many years to keep my sister living in Switzerland from returning home.

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Well, if you were to die right now, and ask Him that question, He would probably shake His head and tell you to go sit in the back of the remedial class, since there is no hell as yet. It will be created when the antichrist is defeated after the Second Advent of Jesus Christ (Rev 19:20)

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lazerus
    say im lucky enough to go to heaven when I die and then stupid enough to say to St Peter, I wish to petition the lord our God to give me a bucket of water and send me to hell that I may lend one moment of relief from the fires of hell to one soul. what would Gods answer be?

If there really is an all knowing, all powerful and just God, then there is no Hell and your question has no meaning.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BTW, if and when we are all judged by God, and say God finds one of us "unworthy" and orders us to report to hell (kinda like saying "go to Hell") exactly what would happen if we instead said "Well, I kinda like it here and I an NOT going to Hell".

What would God do? Have the Devil come and get you? Threaten to kill us if we don't go? (Hey, we would already be dead). Make us go at gunpoint?

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    A man died and went to heaven. [:I][:I][:I] From amongst the quiet and peaceful clouds, he looked upon hell and saw the hullabaloo going down in Hades every weekend. [}:)][}:)][}:)] Most respectfully, he asked St. Peter for a weekend liberty call at hell. [:0][:0][:0]

Months went by and once again our friend became restless at the degeneracy witnessed going down in hell. [8][8][8] The music, the sex, the drugs, and the parties. "Please St. Peter, would you let me spend a week's vacation in hell?" to which the Gatekeeper adamantly agreed. [V][V][V]

Years went by and the man finally became bored and tired about the routine going on in Heaven. [:(!][:(!][:(!] "I've had it with the righteousness going on at this place. I demand to be let go from Heaven and be cast upon hell!!!". His wish was finally granted. [|)][|)][|)]

He was released upon hell where a lake of fire was waiting for him. [:(][:(][:(] Rivers of tears, oceans of sadness, and clouds of gloom fell upon him. "Oh Lord, this is not hell as remember it." To which Satan replied: "You were a tourist then, but are a resident now.... Welcome to the Jungle!!!!" [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Believe it or not, this is the story I have used for many years to keep my sister living in Switzerland from returning home.

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

Unfortunately, Satan having any control over Hell has no basis in theology. Satan will be cast into Hell, he does not have any rule over it. Biblically, Satan will suffer in Hell with sinners.

Fear not him who can kill the body. Fear him who can cast both body and soul into hell. That is not Satan.

You should not fear Satan or anything about Satan. Mainly because, the only Satan to fear is yourself. You are the sinner. Fear God.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

• Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

• Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox you speak with wisdom. The Bible and Biblical classes speak of this wonderful, forgiving, peaceful and loving God, how then someone or thing that possesses such attributes could even imagine such a place and if imaginable, how could such a God send any of his children there? I don't buy the whole thing and I guess if I'm wrong I'll wish I had of been a believer. Not today, too many things wrong with the whole concept. Higher being-yes. God as is written-NO. A higher being with intelligence and powers over humans- again yes. Powers of a non-physical type in the spirit of dreams-NO So what is this higher being withpowers over humans? We have yet to meet THEM yet. But someday...

Now you can't tell me you don't believe in extra-terrestrials? I refuse to believe that we are all there is in the entire Universe. Somewhere out there is a being far superior to us. This may have been the God as it were to the Ancient Egyptians, they definitely saw something.

Consistency is the final refuge of the unimaginative
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thankya, thankya very much.

4lizad
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost never weigh in on these theological questions but I'll make an exception this time.

One of the parables says that the day of judgement is like separating the wheat from the chaff. The wheat is saved and chaff is cast into the fire.

What happens when you cast straw into a fire? It is destroyed.

It's hard to believe that an omniscient, omnipresent, loving creator would damn souls to eternal punishment. I believe the souls of those who do not attain heaven will be destroyed.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Check out what I've got on the block!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lazerus

Why dont you ask him and find out for yourself?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After you are dead, nothing is in the Devil's hands. Truth be known, the only devil you have to worry about is your self.

Is it, Satan is tempting me, or God is testing me?

You are the only one responsible for your soul. Satan is a scapegoat for your own failure. If you want to blame someone else, you can blame God. But soon, if you do that, you will conclude in your own mind there is no God.

It would have been better to blame yourself all along. The Devil is only a scapegoat. Blaming God will leave you with only yourself to blame.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    [green]I almost never weigh in on these theological questions but I'll make an exception this time.

One of the parables says that the day of judgement is like separating the wheat from the chaff. The wheat is saved and chaff is cast into the fire.

What happens when you cast straw into a fire? It is destroyed.

It's hard to believe that an omniscient, omnipresent, loving creator would damn souls to eternal punishment. I believe the souls of those who do not attain heaven will be destroyed.

In red one of the most reasonable thoughts I have read in a long, long time. And fair to everyone. The "punishment" for all eternity would still be delivered (i.e. soul destroyed for all eternity) yet there would be no eternal suffering or burning in Hell for that soul.

Actually a pretty reasonable, sensiable and fair solution to the "believer/non-believer" or the "sinner/non-sinner" question.

4lizad
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Read once that a prominent and respected Catholic theologian said that even Adolph Hitler would eventually sit at the table of g**. His position was that there were no sins that any man could commit that warrant eternal damnation--if g** were just. [;)]

An interesting point of theology, eh? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to be present when that Catholic Theologian told that goofey theory to parents who's daughter has just been kidnapped, tortured, raped and killed.

If I was the parent I would beat his * for saying that.

4lizad
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    Read once that a prominent and respected Catholic theologian said that even Adolph Hitler would eventually sit at the table of God. His position was that there were no sins that any man could commit that warrant eternal damnation--if God were just. [;)]

An interesting point of theology, eh? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria

Respected by whom?

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The reason I dont wait til after I die to pose this question to God is it just might be a dumb idea.