In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

left hand rifle for wyoming hunting

pranqstrpranqstr Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
My father has tasked me with finding a rifle for a (probably not going to happen) trip to wyoming. He asked about a 270, I suggested a 243, but what kind of range would Wyoming deer be shooting at? Should I go with a Magnum rifle (7mm mag or 30/300mag?).

He doesn't like bolt actions, but honestly he hasn't hunted in many years (20+), so he hesn't shot a lot. He's left handed, and I'm right handed, so I'm not going to buy a left handed bolt action just for him to try. He's just retired, so he's finding hobbies, and being older weight/endurance could be an issue.

Any advice to this dilemma?

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    A Sako Finnlight in 280 would be a good choice. I'm sure there are lefties out there. The rifle is light but is spendy. A less expensive alternative is the new Remingtons. They are light as all get out and I'm certain that Remington would build it in lefty.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Expect to shoot over 200 yards - both .243 and .270 will do the job. The key is a bullet the is designed for the game and of course shot placement. I shoot a .300 WM from antelope to elk/moose here in MT. Good luck and happy hunting.

P.S.

If you get a pump or lever action, it'll be ambidextrous [;)].
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.savagearms.com

Check out Savage. They have good rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks,
    I am not even going to try to get a bolt action. I doubt he would learn to like it, he's set in his ways. Pump or lever, possibly a semi seem to be good choices.

Any further ideas?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pranqstr
    thanks,
    I am not even going to try to get a bolt action. I doubt he would learn to like it, he's set in his ways. Pump or lever, possibly a semi seem to be good choices.

Any further ideas?

A right handed semi-auto shot left handed will put the ejection port right in front of his face with "gas & brass". Not a good thing.
    You might look at the Browning BLR (Browning Lever Rifle). You can get them in most any caliber ( Std. Calibers, Short Magnums, Long Magnums, etc. ) and will be good for left or right.
    Another route would be a good Single shot like a Ruger #1 or a Thompson Encore. With the Encore, if you don't like the caliber you can just but another bbl chambered in something else (also in Muzzle Loader and shotgun bbls).
    Be sure to look at the buttstocks and make sure what you get doesn't have a high rollover cheek piece that will be in the way when shot left handed.
    Something to think about -- Good Luck.........[^]
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    All of you are working too hard.

Why not a lever action?

Especially considering this might be a one time or not going to happen hunt.

I would even consider a 30/30 with the LeveRolution ammo from Hornady. Should be PERFECT for a 300 yard hunt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dcloco,
    sorry, I have to disagree. A 30/30 is not a 300 yard cartridge.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco,

+1. See my response above.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Give the deer a chance and use the ole 38-55 a wonderfull old gun. Hey if guys with the bow and arrows can get close enough to shoot them you sure can with a 38-55 lever gun. An old hunter would appreciate the opportunity.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the BAR short or long trac. Numerous calibers and a beautiful rifle to boot.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    dcloco,

You have not shot a 30/30 lever action with the new Hornady rounds.

Try it...you just might be surprised!!!!!
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Or a TC Encore...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would go lever action.

I am left handed and I don't believe in left handed guns. I even use right handed bolt actions (and I can chamber another round just about as quick as a right handed person).

I just feel that a lefty is limiting themselves too mush by wanting a left handed gun. Learn to compensate on a right handed gun and you can shoot anything!
  • Options
    yellowdog2yellowdog2 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a a BLR in 7mm-08 with Leupold 3x9 ? Less than 1 box of shells thru it. Email at jr1772@tds.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the 30 carbine a 50 yard deer rifle?
    NO.
    At 300 yards the hornady round has similiar values as a 30 carbine between muzzle and 100 yards. Hornady 170 gr flat point @ 300 yards: 1381 ft/sec 720 ft-lbs energy Taylor knockout (TKo)11.6

30 m1 carbine: 110 gr (pretty much all manufacturers) muzzle: 1990 ft/sec 965 ft-lbs TKO 9.6 @ 100 yards: 1570 ft/sec 600 ft-lbs TKO 7.6

Now, according to you the 30/30 is a 300 yars gun for deer?

According to Bob Folker in Ammo and ballistics... the quoted velocity is from a 24 inch barrel, it loses about 100 150 ft/sec in a 20 in barrel.
    In the 10th ed of cartridges of the world by Frank barnes states ... In no case is it (30/30 any size bullet)suited for shots beyond about 200 yards. You stand alone with your 300 yard deer rifle.

I like 7mm-08, but it's extremely limited factory loads handicap it.
    But, I'll mention it to my father.

I know a couple of lefties that use right hand stuff, but I know my 62 year Father will not. He's set in his ways.