In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer habitat East Texas and like areas

chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I live in a area that does not have a large deer population. I have property in another state that does. With all the talk about leases I am wondering how large a property would have to be for it to be worthwhile to lease?

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that would have a lot to do with what is going on nearby, large tracts adjoining would make a smaller lease still attractive
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many acres are considered a large tract?
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be thrilled to lease a 5 acre plot of woods
    if it were huntable, held game, and was reasonable
    in price.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about leasing some one elses' land or leasing land that you own to others?

On your own place, if you provide the proper habitat, you will pull in game from elsewhere. Give them some greens and grains they can't or don't get on adjoining properties and they will be hard to keep out. The size will not matter as much as cover, food plots and water.

If you are looking to lease land for your own hunting, I would want 100 acres per hunter at least. But it sure is getting expensive. I know people that spend 2K and up to lease quality deer hunting property and share it with plenty of others at the same price. It sucks!
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of buying a property then leasing. How many acres and how much money to see if it would work.
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on how good the hunting is. I know some guys who lease 50-60 acres. Leasing land is big money here in Texas. The biggest problem in east Texas are the poachers and trespassers/meth heads.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    i have leased 50ac up to 500ac that I lease now in north east texas
    I pay 200.00 a year for the 600 ac with two other guys for a total of 600.00 bucks [:D]
    I have seen lease per gun for an avg. of 1000.00 to 1500.00 for up to 3000ac around