In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Went to a High School Basketball Game.....

WarMongerWarMonger Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
...and during warm up they were playing a rap song over the PA. I heard the N-word, F-word, Femal Dog word, S-word and so on...... Is this really appropiate for a high school sporting event ? There were many families there with children. I think one mother complained but they didnt turn off the music.

Comments

• Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And we wonder why the NBA changed their dress policy , evey game we have been to is crowded with people that need to pull up their shorts and watch the vile spewing from their pie hole. Seems that basketball and rap is joined in some homo foreplay nowadays , total waste of time as far as I am concerned. Maybe I'll throw in some LL Coll j , put in my gold teeth caps and try to slam dunk a Mr Pibb before bedtime.

Neo-Jedi
    Order
    th_reblogo.gif
    th_israel-army_04.gif
  • Options
    morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it is not appropriate. Too bad, too, since basketball at the high school level is usually (or used to be) a lot more entertaining than college or pro.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And I didnt even mention the dance that the girls did at half time....although to be honest I kinda liked it, lol.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to a High School football game at Norfolk in 1961. The Cheer Leaders did a cheer that got some laughs and shocked the crowd. If your not familiar with the Virginia pronunciation of Norfolk, you might not get it. They separated the syllables of Norfolk.

"We are the girls from Norfolk. We don't smoke. We don't drink. Norfolk."

The difference was they got in a little trouble for it. I thought it was funny though. Back then people just didn't do stuff like that.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    I went to a small-town rural high school graduation this past summer, for a cousin of mine. During a slide show they put on in the middle of the ceremony, the music included "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day. It's a great song, but from the first note I was waiting for the point 1 minute and 46 seconds into the song when the F bomb gets dropped. Sure enough, loud and clear as day in the high school gymnasium at a ceremony mostly attended by grandparents, we heard about "what's F'd up and what's alright." I give this a 3 out of 5 on the irony meter.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WarMonger
    ...and during warm up they were playing a rap song over the PA. I heard the N-word, F-word, Femal Dog word, S-word and so on...... Is this really appropiate for a high school sporting event ? There were many families there with children. I think one mother complained but they didnt turn off the music.

I would raise holy heck with the principal and school board. I would also write a letter to the local paper. Music with obscene lyrics have no place at a HS function!

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    The kids put their own warm up tapes together before the games its what they want to warm up to

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am our local high school's Girls Varsity Basketbal Coach and we "screen" no pun intended all music before it goes into the pre game stereo system that way only appropriate material is heard !! The kids make their own CD and give it to us days before the first game. Iwont allow any rap music because Ican not stand it .. By the way we open our season tonight ..

Buy a Livestrong Band today and support cancer research !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i've always wanted to coach a high school basketball team. how did you get the job ? they have a law/rule here in los angeles that to coach a varsity sport you have to be a teacher at the school.