In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone use the Majic Jack for telephone service?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
$20 for a year of local and long distance? Whenever something sounds too good to be true..it usually is.

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I use it. I thought the same as you but i figured what the hell and picked it up anyway. You have to run it with high speed internet and us at least win xp. You can pic a region you want for your number. I picked back home sense both mine and the wifes family live there. That way they can call us and not have to pay long distance. I got a phone number, caller id, voice mail, ect. all for 20.00 a year. Cool think about it is you can use any reg phone. I hooked up a cordless phone with anwering machine.
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    My mother has the Majic Jack and so far she likes it. She has had for about two months now.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    $20 for a year of local and long distance? Whenever something sounds too good to be true..it usually is.

No, but I used mine yesterday to change a flat on my wifes H3
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I've been wondering about that myself.
    do it access a "free" band on internet "space" or something?
    I've made phonecall to germany on my ffice computer for no charge, is magicjack the same idea?
    what about Vonage? isn't that the same type of service?
    sorry about all the questions! I'm just trying to understand the technology.[:I]
    tom
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I don't leave my PC running 24/7 and don't think it's a good idea for anyone to do so.
    Therefore i believe the MJ would be useless to me.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine that has one.
    Couldn't tell the difference from my end, and he LOVES it....so far.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i thought all ya need is a microphone on the computer and a phone tool program[?]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote: thought all ya need is a microphone on the computer and a phone tool program

Topic

that's true, but its a pain in the * carrying the computer around with you![;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My sister used it and hated it...NUMEROUS problems. She is back to regular phone service now.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    I tried it and had nothing but problems with it. The dial tone would just disappear for hours and then it would come back for some reason, then when it did work you couldn't understand about 1 word in 10. And their customer service is terrible...the rep just goes through a series of reboots, etc with you and then hangs up on you when nothing works to fix your problem. And it is a nightmare trying to cancel it, they try to say you can do it right on their website, but it still is not canceled and that has been after months of trying. You may want to research it a bit, things like this pop up real easy:

http://www.magicjackclassaction.com/

I switched to Vonage and it works perfectly, and your computer does not have to be on all the time, as the Vonage box connects directly to your internet line, not to your computer.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use magic jack and have for a year now. Never had a problem with it. Sure saves big $ over the local telephone company. If any of you need a test of it just call me. PM and I will email my #
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I don't leave my PC running 24/7 and don't think it's a good idea for anyone to do so.
    Therefore i believe the MJ would be useless to me.

You can set it up so when the pc is off they will foward calls to your home phone or cell phone instead of going right to voice mail.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228
    I tried it and had nothing but problems with it. The dial tone would just disappear for hours and then it would come back for some reason, then when it did work you couldn't understand about 1 word in 10. And their customer service is terrible...the rep just goes through a series of reboots, etc with you and then hangs up on you when nothing works to fix your problem. And it is a nightmare trying to cancel it, they try to say you can do it right on their website, but it still is not canceled and that has been after months of trying. You may want to research it a bit, things like this pop up real easy:

http://www.magicjackclassaction.com/

I switched to Vonage and it works perfectly, and your computer does not have to be on all the time, as the Vonage box connects directly to your internet line, not to your computer.

Those were some of the the same problems my sister had.
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    repeat after me......security issues, security issues, security issues
    .....any questions?
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Has a very good reputation from real users in my local Linux user's group

International rates are really cheap too