In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mason Members....

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This is a question for MASON members. I am not interested in hearing from any NON members...

What exactly does a member get from being a member? Does it further your existence somehow, either financially or by way of useful knowledge?
Is it costly to be a member and move along with your "training"?
I had considered joining once, and was told of the intiation fee of $100. How much more can one expect to spend for costs?

I am not looking for secrets to be revealed, that are not supposed to be. However, I would appreciate straight answers, from straight shooters. If you would rather not respond openly through the thread, your welcome to e-mail me privately. My e-mail is in my profile.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    I am not interested in hearing from any NON members...

As in "non-Mason members " or "Non-GB Members? Don
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Don't you have some nuts to play with? [:)]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Fellowship, charity, knowledge, something to study.. That's what I get out of it.

There are annual dues that don't ammount to much. It will never interfere with your religion, personal life, relationships, family or finances. It is set up for all men.

HOnestly, you can learn just about anything you want to know online about masonic studies and history. The ritual is the secret and is an old preserved method of keeping non masons out of the lodge when business is being conducted.

You move along at your own pace and are forced to do nothing. If you decide to join, as a mason. They will form an investigative comittee and you will be looked at to see weather you are a good man or not. Most men are accepted. Felons are not for example. Your reason for becoming a mason will also be questioned. My reason was to find out what my family members did. My great grand father is a KT and i have is sword. Simple honest reason.

Since I have joined, I have found out some really cool tricks on memorization, how geometry works and how people think.

Good luck
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

[:D][:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    Fellowship, charity, knowledge, something to study.. That's what I get out of it.

There are annual dues that don't ammount to much. It will never interfere with your religion, personal life, relationships, family or finances. It is set up for all men.

HOnestly, you can learn just about anything you want to know online about masonic studies and history. The ritual is the secret and is an old preserved method of keeping non masons out of the lodge when business is being conducted.

You move along at your own pace and are forced to do nothing. If you decide to join, as a mason. They will form an investigative comittee and you will be looked at to see weather you are a good man or not. Most men are accepted. Felons are not for example. Your reason for becoming a mason will also be questioned. My reason was to find out what my family members did. My great grand father is a KT and i have is sword. Simple honest reason.

Since I have joined, I have found out some really cool tricks on memorization, how geometry works and how people think.

Good luck

Have you been a member long? Have you done much of the training?

Is the knowledge learned something that I won't easily get somewhere else?
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    It's not as secretive as you might think. certainly not like the Illuminati legend, but I doubt you'll find anyone willing to tell you much.
    I will tell you that you have to be invited to join and approved by the existing membership, and you will be happy to be a member.
    tom
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Masonry makes a good man better.

To be one, ask one.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    It's not as secretive as you might think. certainly not like the Illuminati legend, but I doubt you'll find anyone willing to tell you much.
    I will tell you that you have to be invited to join and approved by the existing membership, and you will be happy to be a member.
    tom

First, I was not, nor will I, ask for members to reveal "secrets".
    Secondly, you ever heard, "to be one, ask one"? You don't have to be asked, you can ask yourself.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't there a "secret" thread before? I have some Mason jars..[:)]
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by storm6490

Is the knowledge learned something that I won't easily get somewhere else?

How long and what order... so on is intimate and private but I can tell you that in this day and age, you can find the exact same knowledge we have online. It is how you put it all together.

Mansonry dosen?t have any real training or drills per se. It is more like a study and some memorization work. The work helps you understand the lessons and the lessons help you out in life. It helps you become a better person.

I go to AA meetings and notice they use a lot of things that are similar to masonry to help people get better and be well.

Not sure what you are looking for, but Masonry can be boaring sometimes for a younger person but then you find something in it that sparks your interest.

Look online for a lodge near you and ask them for some more information, they have some general information that will help you with the more frequently asked questions. They are not pushy and wont feed you a bunch of crap. The lodge will give you an information pack and you can toss it in the trash if you don?t dig it or you can ask a mason how to become one. They will never recruit you. But, in some cases they may say something like, ?have you ever considered masonry_?

It is illegal to recruit. You must ask, we will give you info for you to make your own decsion. Masonry will not hurt your pocket book, will not make you rich or famous, but will help you understand this world a whole lot better.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    tom

Secondly, you ever heard, "to be one, ask one"? You don't have to be asked, you can ask yourself.

If you are a church goer, you may want to check with your Priest, or Pastor. Some churches forbid you from being members of secret societies. Mine will deny you the Eucharist if you are a Mason, Shriner, or a memeber of any other Secret Society. Just an FYI.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    well james, please forgive me for my ignorance of you substantial knowledge base. I was just trying to answer your question. rest assured, I won't make that mistake again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    tom

If you are a church goer, you may want to check with your Priest, or Pastor. Some churches forbid you from being members of secret societies. Mine will deny you the Eucharist if you are a Mason, Shriner, or a memeber of any other Secret Society. Just an FYI.

I know all about that. At this point, I don't care.
    edited November -1
    Secret society.. Anyone know what this is?

DSCN0327.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

DSCN0327.jpg

could be a bible, could be neumonics
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe Storm is his brother's keeper. In fact I refuse to believe it. But the AA part makes perfect sense.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

DSCN0327.jpg

could be a bible, could be neumonics

My Dads Masonic Bible. King James Version. I've had it 31 years since his death.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    tom

I know all about that. At this point, I don't care.

Then you have found your new religion.
    edited November -1
    and finally, there is a lot of mis=information about masonry out there. i am no expert and you surely don?t want to listen to non masons about masonry.

good luck ang God bless
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Any Mason, anywhere, can blackball you from entering the Lodge.

Brother.

Doug
    edited November -1
    and finally, there is a lot of mis=information about masonry out there. i am no expert and you surely don?t want to listen to non masons about masonry.

good luck ang God bless

I am after my own quest for knowledge. This is why I wasn't interested in hearing from NON members. I have seen all the other's opinions on Masonry. I have a profound desire to learn.

I gather, I need to find a Mason, to pass me some information. I just don't know any locally. I looked at the Indiana Freemason's website, but my lodge (local to me) has only a address to send a letter to. No phone number.

Guess it is time to go old school, and send a letter....
    edited November -1
    My grandfather was a Mason,.....he was far from a "devil worshiper."
    I have many of his items, and have considered the same questions that James is asking.

I guess I just haven't asked them yet.
    BTW,.....he never told me anything, other than general things, and I was his whole world in his latter years.

He quit the association a number of years before he passed.
    I don't know why either,......probably simply due to a lack of time, I presume.
    edited November -1
    well james, please forgive me for my ignorance of you substantial knowledge base. I was just trying to answer your question. rest assured, I won't make that mistake again.
    Well Tom, you ASSUMED I was asking for someone to reveal "secrets". I was not.
    You also said you "must be asked to be a member". That was untrue.

I appreciate anyone giving me info, just not bad info. I am not going into this blind. I have researched, on the limited basis that is the net. I am looking to join something that my time is used wisely, both for myself, and the community.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    This is a question for MASON members. I am not interested in hearing from any NON members...

What exactly does a member get from being a member? Does it further your existence somehow, either financially or by way of useful knowledge?
    I had considered joining once, and was told of the intiation fee of $100. How much more can one expect to spend for costs?

I am not looking for secrets to be revealed, that are not supposed to be. However, I would appreciate straight answers, from straight shooters. If you would rather not respond openly through the thread, your welcome to e-mail me privately. My e-mail is in my profile.

I'm thinkin you'd have to learn the secret hand-shake, and I'm also thinkin you ain't up to that kind of responsibility. [:D]

And....speaking of secrets, you gonna keep hush on that sex-change operation you have scheduled? [:X]

I was waiting for this!
    I guess DQ closed early tonight?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by dano

I'm thinkin you'd have to learn the secret hand-shake, and I'm also thinkin you ain't up to that kind of responsibility. [:D]

And....speaking of secrets, you gonna keep hush on that sex-change operation you have scheduled? [:X]

I was waiting for this!
    I guess DQ closed early tonight?

Yup. I hear he got his winkie caught in the soft serve machine... [:)][:)]