In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Constitutional Violations

ScottymacScottymac Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Every Constitutional Amendment has been trampled and violated if you take them in the same strictest literary terms as many here do with the 2nd. Somewhat due to differences in society and culture, changing times, but whatever the reason we allow violation of search and seizure everyday, speedy trial, free speech, Etc.
Everyone seems OK with modification, or common sense interpretation of most of the other amendments but not the second. Truly if you stand hard on the word's themselves you could twist this even further. My point is not to give up the right to bear arms, but to reason with the concept that I may not be entitled to them if convicted of a crime. Similar to everyone being OK with restricting the rights of say kiddy sex ex-convict's, even after they have served their time.

Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Now using the same hard-line interpretation of some here what is cruel?

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    The big point in that line of thinking, is everything is a crime now days. It's a felony to run from the cops, it's a felony to online gamble in this state, and I could go on and on and on. People who have their right to arms taken away because of a crime, need to be in prison or executed. If they're out that means they served their time, and have ALL their rights back.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Well you have crimes with victims and victimless crimes.

Lots of folks doing hard time for victimless crime such as possesion of a little weed. Folks getting fined for not wearing seat belts.

Then I was reading in the paper this morning about the elected officials borrowing money illegallaly, without taxpayer approval. The Charlotte city council building an arena for the basketball players, overiding the voters wishes.

It would seem to me that a whole lot of our elected officials and bearucrats might benefit from a little stay in jail.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    The big point in that line of thinking, is everything is a crime now days. It's a felony to run from the cops, it's a felony to online gamble in this state, and I could go on and on and on. People who have their right to arms taken away because of a crime, need to be in prison or executed. If they're out that means they served their time, and have ALL their rights back.

This situation where a person has served thier time, but cannot get back thier rights without major effort, money and time, is they biggest load of BS ever seen. How can this be constitutional?

Just another way to make sure once they(govt) get a person for some crime(felony) that person will never legally be able to stand up against said govt. The more people they can tag for a felony, the less people who can stand against them. If they have done all society, courts, govt etc. have required for punishment/restitution they should be immediately and automatically be returned rights.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When we allow government to twist, subvert, or to ignore what the Constitution clearly states and to then exceed the seventeen (17) specific, enumerated or delegated powers and duties that the Constitution limits government to, then we have, in effect, made meaningless the Supreme Law of The Land.

Once this is willingly conceded, then any violation of the Constitution is acceptable. It becomes a matter of degrees alone.

It is as simple as that.