In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunbroker auctions

D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I've been watching the shotgun auctions for some time now. Just trying to figure out what is available and for what price. (New guns)

It appears that no one is buying much of anything. Almost 100% of the bids are on guns with a reserve price. These phoney bidders seem to bid about 40% of the gun's value knowing quite well they are not going to win and their bid is worthless.

Can anyone tell me if there is much sales going on concerning shotguns lately? With decent guns being over $1000.00 and 6 million americans a month becoming unemployed, who is actually buying anything? And aren't those still enployed too fearful to spend a grand or more for a shotgun?

Dealers don't seem much more interested in sales. Most don't accept trade-ins and when they do they want to steal the trade-in for next to nothing? Hell, many even make up their own rules concerning transfers? Reminds me of car salesmen.

Sales seem almost non-existant to me? However, reloading component sales have skyrocketed! Dealers everywhere have little left. At least until Barry and his mob try to stop it all.

Any thoughts or opinions on this will be appreciated. I'm not looking for arguement or debate. I'm just curious what others perceive or are experiencing.

Regards,

D.K.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Might ought to hurry with your curiosity.

...Bogus bids? If you check out a lot of the really low ball bidders on reserve auctions, they are NR bidders and have no idea what a "reserve" even is. Even with sellers POSTING what the reserve IS...plenty of dummies still place bids under the reserve.

...Typo?.."six million" a month loosing jobs, not even close.

...Yes, people are still buying, just not as much, besides, it's comming into the "slow" time of year.

...Trade in's on the net are HARD to do, next to impossible,
    NO where will you ever get a "fair" price for your gun unless you sell to an individual. A dealer HAS to MAKE money, or there is no sense in being a dealer, buy low with room to mark up and make money.

...Transfers, sellers DO set their own price, don't like the price...find another FFL...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    In store sales for most shotguns (non collector or ultra fine like Purdy) will peak just before 1) dove season 2) waterfowl season 3) turkey season (spring esp).
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    The shotgun market can be divided into two segments new and used. You can have the new market, the used shotgun market has softened a little with the economy and the season, but I dont ever see it "tanking". Unless you just have to have a box with your new shotgun, I would look hard at used guns.

I think every shotgunner should have at least one double gun. The ruger red label, the Winchester 101, the Browning citori can all be bought good this time of the year if you find a seller that just wants (needs) to get rid of their gun.

I have a hard time looking at the reserve price auctions, but I will refrain from knocking them. I would do a GB search on the gun you are looking for, make sure you have a reputable seller, and buy it.

If I am in the market for a gun, I would much rather buy it from a dealer here on GB, than most individuals at a gun show. I ask for a 3 day inspection period and have never been burnt. Good Luck.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I'll bid on a gun just to bump it a bit and show some interest. You never know, if I'm the high bidder but under the reserve, maybe the relist price will be lower. At any rate, every bump helps that much. You never know if you're going to start a bidding war, but sometimes one bid will get the ball rolling. I'd rather see that than no bids at all.
  • Options
    Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D.K.
    I've been watching the shotgun auctions for some time now. Just trying to figure out what is available and for what price. (New guns)

It appears that no one is buying much of anything. Almost 100% of the bids are on guns with a reserve price. These phoney bidders seem to bid about 40% of the gun's value knowing quite well they are not going to win and their bid is worthless.

Can anyone tell me if there is much sales going on concerning shotguns lately? With decent guns being over $1000.00 and 6 million americans a month becoming unemployed, who is actually buying anything? And aren't those still enployed too fearful to spend a grand or more for a shotgun?

Dealers don't seem much more interested in sales. Most don't accept trade-ins and when they do they want to steal the trade-in for next to nothing? Hell, many even make up their own rules concerning transfers? Reminds me of car salesmen.

Sales seem almost non-existant to me? However, reloading component sales have skyrocketed! Dealers everywhere have little left. At least until Barry and his mob try to stop it all.

Any thoughts or opinions on this will be appreciated. I'm not looking for arguement or debate. I'm just curious what others perceive or are experiencing.

Regards,

D.K.

Damn...6 million jobs a month? You mean 24 million people have lost their jobs in the last 4 months!! Crap...72 million in a year!! We are in trouble....(note the sarcasm)
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very well said COLT ! + 1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    6 million jobs lost? My bad! I must have read or heard something incorrectly?

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/05/08/2009-05-08_unemployment.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your replies. [:)]
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Sales seem almost non-existant to me?An average day this year is over $1,000,000.00 worth of gun sales, so that would be very wrong.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that @ 6M people losing their jobs a month, the past year would have killed 30% of the US workforce. I am guessing your numbers are, a tad, high....

But retail gun sales are rabid, atleast for rifles and some pistols. Lack of ammo is hurting sales, but I would guess they are brisk considering the economy.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the best buys Ive came across were right here at GB, I just got through purchasing an older fellows set of 3 very old but nice single shots. He had a 12, 16, 20 Ga I wasvery lucky to find them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I must have really pissed somebody off with my question?[?]

GB JUST CLOSED MY ACCOUNT! SAID ACCOUNT WAS COMPROMISED??????[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey therm. Did you bother to read my post saying I was mistaken about my unemployment numbers? Try again![V]
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    The best buys to be had are at gunshows (from walkins) and live gun auctions. Although it's been harder to get good deals at live auctions since Proxibid opened them up to the internet and a much larger audience. It has been my experience that guns sell for top dollar here on GB. Probably because it is such a large market. Deals can be had, but you have to be vigiant and look hard for them.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by admin
    quote:Sales seem almost non-existant to me?An average day this year is over $1,000,000.00 worth of gun sales, so that would be very wrong.

Wow!!!

Where can you find these statistics...I'd be interested in tracking trends. I need a larger chunk of that $$$![8D]