In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Garand question

REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I always hear how wonderful the M1 is, and how acurate. I always hear how the Mini-14/30 is neat, but not acurate due to its action. I owned a -30 for a while and the manual said it used the garand action. (I never owned a garand, and no longer own the -30)

SO, IF both use the same action, how can one be great and acurate because of its action, and one be inacurate because of its action? Sounds like the action is the strong point of one, and the downfall of the other, how is this possible?

As stated, I own neither, am curious nonetheless, what part am I missing here?

-Ralph

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall

Comments

• REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to tell if the top hand guard is original to the gun? Supposedly it is but was reworked at Benicia arsenal. Wood just doesn't match? The left side of the stock has the BA over JPL stamp with I believe indicates a Benicia arsenal cleaning and repair. Also OG which indicates an Ogden Arsenal rebuild. Thanks
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both Jennings and Raven use action designs shared by other firearms. Therein lies your answer.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The Ruger's are Garand TYPE actions, not the same action. Just close to the same design.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mini-14 has a very small barrel contour. This allows it to "whip" and it also heats up very fast. I think that the M1 was a heavier barrel and had less whip (this is assumption not fact). This causes most of the mini-14 complaints about accuracy. Most people are too hung up on accuracy nowadays, and want sub-moa out of box for any rifle. The mini-14 is accurate to an extent and excels at what it was designed for, a ranch type environment where quick shots were needed.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both the Garand and a Ruger Mini 30. Two different rounds . Garand of course in the 30-06 with the Mini 30 a 762x39. Both my guns are accurate but the Garand is more accurate at a longer distance. Mini 30 will do a quarter size 3 shot group at 100 yd with my ol' eyes and optics. Of course that is with NO dry firing and my un expertise off the bench....( just a little sarcasm off the other post on dry firing ) Chuckles
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...the Garand has a heavier barrel and better support.

Mudge the Garand fan

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the same action ... it is the same design principal.

Not the same calibers.

Mini-14 is often called a "Ranch Gun" and in that name is the implication that it is a utility type gun, not a match rifle.

Garand is a battle rifle that shoots pretty good at the general mil. spec. tolerances and very well if it is reworked to a better fit.

You can't compare them other than to say they are guns. Can't even technically call them both rifles as the Garand is and the mini is a carbine or short barreld rifle.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah you are right select-fire a quarter sized group off the bench at 100 yards is fairly weak. Work on your dry firing and try to improve it. Just a little sarcastic humor to cause a chuckle on this cold evening. Beach
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you are discussing accuracy and military firearms it is important to remember that the average service rifle was not a tack-driving piece of shooting machinery! Most of the wonderfull tales of record winning shooting from U.S. military firearms like the Model 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand and M14 service rifles were achieved with carefully prepared and fitted national match rifles and not a typical piece pulled off the barracks rifle rack! In the case of the M14 service rifle the Army demanded nothing more than that all M14 approved for service (MIL-R-45012A, dated 27 March, 1959) be test fired and group five shots into a 6.1 inch (155mm) circle at 100 meters. This accuracy was not exactly stellar for a rifle which many people believe was the most accurate service rifle ever adopted by the United States (calm down Sheepman...I said most people). The fact that an M1A can shoot sub 1" groups does not mean GB members Dances with Sheep, Neal Myers, or Rufe-snow's old M14s ever could!

Mark T. Christian
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Jump over to the "Experts" forum, there's a real good shot over there who claims to be able to hit an orange 80% of the time at 600 yards with open iron sights. He didn't mention what kind of action he used, probably lubed with plenty of imagination. Can't even see one that far away.

Semper Fi
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beach , Your inmature comments aren't worth the time of day. I have shot around plenty of GB members and I can hold my own.. NO F******* dry firing needed. IN fact I did not see ANY members do this action called dry firing and hopefully never will.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    MC, I have to disagree with you, I shot competition with an off the rack M1 Garand, scored 395 of 400 to take top spot in 1961, The M1 was one of the most, "Off the Rack" accurate weapons the army ever had. It was designed with off the rack accuracy for the average Joe GI to be able to hit what he was shooting at.

Granted a person could work one over and fine tune it, as with any other rifle or gun produced.

Ill take one off the rack any day, give me a few rounds to zero it and it will shoot with the best of em[:D]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    You won the national service rifle match in '61 with an off the rack Garand and a score of 395[:0] How did I miss that[?] Funny I seem to recall that year's score being decided by the "X" count. Course I am gettin up there in years and my recall is a tad fuzzy.

Dry fire ... not dry fire, give it a rest, if there ever is a get together of the dirrerent schools of thought we'll have a little "friendly" shoot, seperate the wheat from the chaff, then talk about who does what after the results are in.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
    edited November -1
    Contender Man, not only are you getting up in years, ya cant read either, Where did it say in my post that it was a national service match.It SAYS, I shot competetive, didnt say where. The match happened to be in EUROPE at the time, A three Battalion match, pitted agains the German Police and Army.. and yes I have the trophies..

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    Not doubting ya ... just a lil "tweek" to bring you back toward the center.

Once you dope a rifle you can shoot it pretty darn good. Called know you weapon ... oops ... firearm. But when you get to the sectional and or regional match level you pretty much need a well tuned rifle coupled with mucho live and (dare I risk it) dry practice.

Any retired military (with the possible exception of the Navy and Air Force and what the heck throw in the USCG) "ground pounder" type is good with a rifle, probably while they use the term rifleman.

Anyway I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments, 395 in anyones book is good, very good.

edited November -1
    And we did do the DRY FIRE thing, with the DIME on the front sight, if it fell off, ya flinched. Also the pencil thing in the barrel to make little black dots on a target 2 inches from the muzzle.

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif