In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Roses, since you are awake...

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just found out from a friend of mine who is the highest ranking OR nurse at the hospital here that she was asked to and in her resignation along with every other nurse and surgical assistant who had enough experience to warrant a pretty good paycheck. In a cost cutting move that I can only see as compromising the quality of services and health care in general they are replacing these people with fresh recruits at a third the pay scale. Is this going on everywhere? This hospital has always been very good about recruiting the best personnel money could buy. With the high percentage of retired CEOs and ordinary millionaires in the Pinehurst area this hospital has always been able to raise a small fortune whenever they needed it. The failure to pay rate is less than three percent. I'm just not getting the wisdom of this move to replace the knowledgeable staff with inexperienced grads.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    YEs it has been going on for years....In the hospitals I worked in Canada, the practice went on all the time...less experienced, less money, and the big thing?...only part time and that means they pay NO BENEFITS.....
    It will compromise health care...always does...
    I was going back over things in my mind, and the one item that always hit a sour note in negotations at contract time was part time hours....the union reps wouldnt hear of it (they were just following what the workers told them)...the companies wanted to cut full time to part time...always a long drawn out battle over that when everything else would get settled quickly...
    cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but why cut costs at the personnel level? How are their prized surgeons that they searched the world for going to react to having to work with people who are just out of school. Perhaps more importantly, how are the doctors' wives going to react to a bunch of twenty something year old ex-candystripers taking the places of the forty and fifty year old senior nurses. Bet that it doesn't go over to well. I work for a lot of the docs in the area and they are very upset and want the nurses to fight the forced resignations. They don't want to be forced to work with inexperienced assistants.

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ?? I don't get this at all. Most parts of the country have a shortage of trained medical personnel at all levels and this place is firing experienced nurses en masse?

The love of money is the root of all evil.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Our hospital is near an excellent nursing school as well as being in a very upscale market. Beverly Hills is one of the only places that have more millionaires per capita than southern Moore County. It's the golf that attracts them and the relatively low housing costs. In the Pinehurst area a couple million dollars will buy you a home that would cost 10 or more in the Hamptons or LA. 70% of the people that live here don't work for a living and never have. They call it "doing well". So they spend tons getting docs from London, Geneva or wherever the best are and entice them to come here to work. Ofcourse these caliber of docs are used to working with highly qualified assitants so I don't think the forced resignation plan will work out in the long run. The docs will express their unhappiness and a desire to leave then the rich old farts who rely on these docs to keep them golfing will stop the fundraisers 'til the docs are happy. I don't understand the reason to cut costs unless it is to line someone's pockets. The hospital has enormous resources at it's disposal.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    It's like Henery O said around here. Places are paying hiring on bonuses for RNs and they can set their own hours. In fact there is a stink sometimes because some places want nurses to work mandatory OT.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    And its still cheaper to pay a signing bonus to someone than to pay someone with 10 years experience etc....

As for fighting the forced resignations...how?....Can the drs tell the nurses just HOW they should fight it?....If a company wants to get rid of you they will, one way or the other...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion