In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Have you recieved payment.....do you have tracking

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Why do people think you automatically KNOW what they are talking about when they say.......did you recieve my payment?

Most of the time the bidder's name has NOTHING to do with the email address or real name that I am looking at...so, for me to see who they are I have to open each auction and then open the second window to reveal the real names of the auction winner.

I sell a LOT so I can't keep every transaction in my head.....but I'm supposed to know what gun "John Smith" won?

I do know what guns are here....and I can tell you what I have shipped, but the rest I'm going to need a little hint???
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    So...Did you get it or didn't you? [:D]
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    I do all my surfing on V2.

However I like using the green bubbles on V4. You can avoid those pesky questions by simply marking payment received on your end. When they see that on their end there is no point in asking you. They know you have it. Then once sent, mark item has been shipped to avoid more questions and send them a tracking #.

I'm guessing you don't do this and brought it on yourself.

It takes 2 seconds to do while your already there. VS 2 minutes or so fooling with their questions that could of been avoided.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    I do all my surfing on V2.

However I like using the green bubbles on V4. You can avoid those pesky questions by simply marking payment received on your end. When they see that on their end there is no point in asking you. They know you have it. Then once sent, mark item has been shipped to avoid more questions and send them a tracking #.

I'm guessing you don't do this and brought it on yourself.

It takes 2 seconds to do while your already there. VS 2 minutes or so fooling with their questions that could of been avoided.

You obviously overestimate the public and don't deal with these guys. They want to email you, talk to you, and have a daily "touch base" while a transaction is in the works. Which isn't nearly as hard to deal with if you are given a little info or told what they are talking about.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!!
  • Options
    roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would assume most payments would have a name attached somehow, don't they? Why do you have to look at the auctions at all?

I agree that some people just aren't that great at long distance sales though. Sending cash, not paying with an account under their name or business that they purchased under, payment with no notes on what its for, etc. Tracking those sales is a pain.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We get this type of crap all the time !!!
    and ,
    We get these phone calls : did you get the thing I ordered for my gun ?
    ect.ect.ect.
    Geez !!!
    makes me really wonder if some should be around firearms at all !!!!!!!
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns...................................a.k.a.......SKEEZIX.....
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roadchoad
    I would assume most payments would have a name attached somehow, don't they? Why do you have to look at the auctions at all?

I agree that some people just aren't that great at long distance sales though. Sending cash, not paying with an account under their name or business that they purchased under, payment with no notes on what its for, etc. Tracking those sales is a pain.

I get payments all of the time that say NOTHING about what they are for??? I get a certified check for $568 with nothing at all on there....no customer name or anything. The envelope SOMETIMES has a name on it, but not always. I have to go to my auctions and figure out if I sold a handgun for $548 with $20 shipping or maybe it might be a long gun with a bigger shipping charge.

If the payment does have a name on it.....that still means I have to figure out what "Mark Doolan" bought??? I have to go into the auctions and look for a total that matches, open the auction to see if the winning bidder "concreteking" is actually "Mark Doolan?" These guys think you can just keep all of this in your head....I guess. Even if you match it all up its not like you can get an email 6 days later from Mr Doolan asking if you recieved payment and know what he is talking about?
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres an idea. All of you that sell to us dumb * and don't want to talk to us get out of the selling business. Every time I see a seller pissin and moanin about having to talk to the customer I write them into a note book I have in my desk. They are the people with the auctions I won't bid on. Bite the hand that feeds you and pretty soon you won't get fed.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I've received money orders with illegible names, addresses, no auction number, etc.

I've found the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it. When someone wins one of my auctions, as many of you can attest, I send them an e-mail with payment instructions and ask that they respond to my e-mail to confirm their bid, ask any questions, and to provide me with their complete name and shipping address. Sometimes, people move and forget to change their address in their profile so do NOT rely on that for shipping! Also, they may want to have an item shipped to another address (at work, a neighbor, a relative, a gift, etc., so get all of the information up front. I also ask them to enclose a print of either the auction or a copy of their return e-mail in the payment envelope and to print the auction number on their check or money order.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Rosie!
    Don't want to deal with it? Easy fix, don't sell online!
    It's not always easy, want to make money selling? Take the good with the bad.
    IBTL
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider nailed it!
    Communication is every thing.
    I realize that must work both ways though.
    Let us know what is required/expected, and most will follow instructions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah kasey!! cant take the heat dont play with fire!!! LOL
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    The buyer only bought one gun. He probably was searching for a particular item, and you only had one of them, so he saw only one, and ASSUMED you only had one gun for sale, and he is your only customer.

I send a detailed email to the winning bidder the same day the auction closes, with complete ordering instructions. Thusly, I also get a little annoyed when I get a phone call asking questions that I already answered, if the buyer would only read his email.

The ones I love are the ones who set their email accounts so that I can't get in without asking permission first and being granted clearance. Those auctions usually get relisted.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excuse me for butting in per se,......I am not an FFL, but I have run a business of my own for 18 plus years.

Nothing is without stress one way or the other. If you want minimum stress and short hours, I recommend working for someone and simply passing the bad stuff to the boss.

I don't post much anymore, but have read about your heart palpitations you are having lately. Maybe this is just not for you Kasey? I like you just fine, and we have spoken several times.

I could start a hundred threads about all of the crazy nonsense that has taken place over the years in my business and what I have had to go through. I don't do that because I know it is part of being in business for yourself.

In short,.......anyone that chooses to be self-employed better have a lot of patience, and learn to deal with stress. If you can't, then simply get out of it because it will kill you otherwise dwelling on every little thing that happens.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I always immediately email the seller when I win something and ask for payment instructions.

I send a printout of the auction page with my payment as well as a note including my phone number and email. If a gun, a copy of my dealer's FFL and his phone number.

As a seller, I always include a copy of the auction page print out, a copy of my driver's license if going to a dealer, and a quick note with phone number etc. on it.

It isn't hard.

I've never ONCE, in 51 gunbroker transactions, 400+ ebay transctions, a few on the 'other' gun auction sight, and a bunch on Amazon.com's used merchandise side ever had a buyer this stupid.

Some of you must be really lucky with your buyers to get such knuckleheads. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't want the auction page printed out. Anyone can print that page. I want the "Congratulations..." email that Gunbroker sent to only one person, the high bidder.

I almost never get it though. Lots of times the buyer prints out the page with MY contact information and sends that, I suppose to reassure me as to my own identity and address.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Typically in a week I will have anywhere between 10 to 35 guns come off line. The guys that KNOW what to do and send me an email saying "I will have payment sent to your address first thing tomorrow, do you have a fax for my FFL?" are the majority of the messages.....that is fine. I can deal with that. I actually have a detaile email that I send to all of the winners that answers most questions.

The ones that want to pay with a credit card always want to talk in person....that is great. I understand that completely. I wouldn't do things any other way myself.

Its the random "how much is my total" and "have you gotten my payment" (without any hint of what they are talking about) that is very VERY frustrating. People turn into 4th graders out of nowhere! Anyone dealing with a transaction over the internet should be "together" enough to add up the shipping and winning bid. I just don't understand some people at all.

I'm just lucky that these guys are few and far between. Most know how to do everything and aren't hard to work with.....I would say one out of twenty are simple minded that need extra "attention."
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I don't want the auction page printed out. Anyone can print that page. I want the "Congratulations..." email that Gunbroker sent to only one person, the high bidder.

I almost never get it though. Lots of times the buyer prints out the page with MY contact information and sends that, I suppose to reassure me as to my own identity and address.

I get that all of the time!!! One thing I have noticed is when they print that page out in the top left hand of that page is the "Last Auction Viewed" with the auction number.....that will be the auction they have won. It took me some time to figure that one out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How about when you get an envelope in the mail that contains only a check or money order, with no reference to any auction number or item description?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lately most of those have been electronic checks that they guys have directly coming from the bank. I don't think they realize that sometimes there is NO info on these checks, no names, nothing at all that gives you any hint as to what it is for?
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I, as a buyer, have printed both the auction page and the GB Email I get for when I've won and I'm ready to mail out a money-order and when I did I took a hi-lighter and hi-lighted the auction number and my Username and wrote my mailing address on the printout. I've also included this info on email transactions w/sellers.

I do see LF plight.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basically LF what the one gentleman said was if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. I can understand the aggravation but that will always be part of doing business. The guy that you are calling a simpleton will read your rant and never buy from you again. Where I worked we had a saying. "If you lose one customer he will take five more with him" That is probably true.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get the same kind of calls daily. Such as "Do you have an oil filter for the forklift I bought from you last year?" Or "I bought a forklift from you back last fall and I lost the Key. Do you have another one to fit it?" When I ask them the model, they say "It was the yellow or green one." Hell, I sell at least one forklift a week and have for the last 10 years. I love my customers but I cant remember everyone of them and what they bought. I feel your pain hun.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you cant juggle the good fortune alone......time to hire help.
    want less stress? ya gotta pay for it, or else you get to keep ALL the profit and ALL the troubles related to it.
    [;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

We are working on a checkout system, part of which is a sheet for the Buyer to include with payment and a sheet for the Seller to include with the shipment because just as many sellers include no paperwork with the item and the receiving FFL doesn't know who its for etc etc.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the question has been addressed...but this is an auction related concern and the customer service folks on the auction side of things are most suited to be able to help you with such issues in the future.[;)][:)]

Personally, I just see this as part of the leg work of doing business over the internet.