In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need to sell this colt UPDATE

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128433362

A guy wants to trade a remington 40x for it with a 36x leopold scope 250 rds of ammo, still haven't figured out what caliber the gun is new except that he has broken in the barrel (fire and clean, fire and clean)...I don't KNOW anything about these rifles but the information I found from looking around makes it seem Like something I shoud do. It would be fun to shoot and probably more valuable than the colt.... on line they range in price from 900 bucks to 2500 and I can't figure the difference other than if they are single shot and what caliber they are....any ideas?

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I set the reserve at 1750....too much?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got 1450 for my factory engraved one.....but I have a bad mojo from time to time. See....not everything of mine sells so hi.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started at $0.01

Current Bid $1,000.00 Reserve Not Met

I wont waste my time on such auctions.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a little higher than I would pay but someone might want it bad enough. That is a beautifully clean Colt and I am a Big fan of the 44 special though.

I have been on a SAA revolver kick recently and just spent 4800.00 for a set of USFA revolvers with class C engraving, that I wont even shoot[B)]. They will just sit here in a glass display case to be looked at.
    edited November -1
    the thing that makes this one special is the factory dual cylinders. and those grips are real stag over 300 bucks without fitting. I told you the reserve, les...I tell anyone who asks [;)]
    anyway I am open to offers if you want it but think it is too high. I can always change the auction to match what we agree on.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    It's a nice colt and more desireable with the dual cylinders, but it's still a 3rd gen gun that's been fired and doesn't have th original box and papers.
    that makes it a shooter or, at best, an entry level collectible.
    don't get me wrong, I love the gun!
    I just think your pricing is more in keeping with a NIB 2nd gen.
    If youre in no rush to sell, I would spend the $75 and get a letter from colt with the DOM and verifying its dual cylinder from the factory. that will help alot with the selling price.
    also, the grips are desireable, but unless they are colt factory you would do better selling them separate.
    just my 2c.
    tom
    BTWif that stainless delta doesn't sell give me a call.
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    It's a nice colt and more desireable with the dual cylinders, but it's still a 3rd gen gun that's been fired and doesn't have th original box and papers.
    that makes it a shooter or, at best, an entry level collectible.
    don't get me wrong, I love the gun!
    I just think your pricing is more in keeping with a NIB 2nd gen.
    If youre in no rush to sell, I would spend the $75 and get a letter from colt with the DOM and verifying its dual cylinder from the factory. that will help alot with the selling price.
    also, the grips are desireable, but unless they are colt factory you would do better selling them separate.
    just my 2c.
    tom
    BTWif that stainless delta doesn't sell give me a call.
    tom

yeah I really don't know what the delta is worth, I set the reserve really high because Im not really sure I am ready to live without it.
    I searched for years to find a bright stainless steel delta, I saw a few but they were used.
    As for the colt, the cylinder is numbered to the gun so a letter won't help much and yeah it's used but I like the idea of that if I want one to shoot, at least it has been well cared for, just one owner till me. If it doesn't sell I won't be too hurt, but this is one of those guns that would serve someone else much better than me.
    I priced it based on 1100 for the gun 400 for the cylinder and 250 for the grips....

I was thinking of using the money toward my barrett BMG. I can't wait to get one, I think that will be more fun than an AR.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Beautiful guns like beautiful women and fast cars need to be shot-ridden-driven[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I got 1450 for my factory engraved one.....but I have a bad mojo from time to time. See....not everything of mine sells so hi.

these guns are not bringing near the money they were a year ago...CAS is one sport I think has suffered in this depression and era of fear over gun grabbers. I think people with disposable income for guns are investing in something else...it took 6 weeks to sell my marlin for 300 less than it bid the first time thru so Im guessing rifles arent doing much better.
    I bought a Browning 45-70 carbine in near new condition for $850 and about two years ago I sold the same rifle for 1300, I sold my high grade model 71 348 for 2200 in 06 and I see them sitting at 1600 now.
    maybe those would be good investments, I know people love them
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    That would be a very nice trade...

The 40X's run around 2 grand new...and the scope is worth a small fortune as well.

If you are looking to turn it over, I'd part the rifle and scope...sell them separately...but be advised, it may take longer to unload the Remington and scope than it would your Colt.

I would imagine that rifle is probably a one hole shooter.