In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The GARDEN is IN, done, finished

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
well,..I don't know ifin yall remember my question about the troybuilt rototiller my neighbor wanted to sell,..but I bought it. Troybuilt bronco, counter rotating, used one season, set-up for 3 years. It wouldn't stay running, bud judicious application of a dental pick inside the float bowl and carb journals has her purring like a kitten. He payed $600,..I gave him $250[:D]

Anyway, 5 houses went together and put this thing in the back of my property where everyone can come and pick their wares.

15' x 80'[:0] we planted strawberries, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers, 3 varietys of tomatos, jalepenos, haberneros, cayeanes (sp), cucumbers, yellow squash, zuchini, basil, sweet corn, 2 types of lettuce, cantelopes, and string beans[:p] Hope we got enough[;)]

man I can't wait to see this thing come up and be gettin bushy.

Any tips from the experienced gardeners that would help any of the plants grow faster or thicker?? anything we can do to help it produce at maximum capacity and health[?]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Well I hope you added fertilizer and tilled it in before you planted.

Miracle grow does alot of good. Also keeping the water to the soil will boost things along. Don't over water though.

Keep grass and weeds hoed out. The rob water and nutreints.
    edited November -1
    Congrats![8D] That is one thing I miss about living back east!

Sounds like a small garden for 5 families.?.?...I'll bet you that it grows each year.[:)]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I put down newspaper and cover it up with grass clipping to keep the weeds down, also helps hold moisture in the soil.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I just finished my first garden yesterday. Planted zuchini, okra, red/yellow/green peppers, banana peppers, green beans, corn, 5 different 'maters, and some herbs. I fertilized with rabbit manure last month. Just have to keep the rabbits out. My neighbor said to put kitty litter around the garden and that will keep them out.
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    I just finished my first garden yesterday. Planted zuchini, okra, red/yellow/green peppers, banana peppers, green beans, corn, 5 different 'maters, and some herbs. I fertilized with rabbit manure last month. Just have to keep the rabbits out. My neighbor said to put kitty litter around the garden and that will keep them out.

would that be new or used kitty litter??
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    That would be "new" kitty litter. The only problem I see is every cat within 3 miles will be crapping in my garden.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grow tomatoes, peppers, peas, beets, green peppers, cukes, lettuce and radishes on a plot 15 x30' but it takes planning and staggered planting. I use Wall o' Water tubes on the tomatoes and peppers so I can plant them as much as two months ahead of last frost (which is about now here in northern Utah). I've had mine in now for a month, and both the tomatoes and peppers have fruit on them within the water walls!

I have not had a tomato worm or other insect pest in may garden for 15+ years and I never use bug sprays. How? I always plant marigolds among the veggies. Bugs seem to HATE marigolds and won't come near them. (You ever had bug damage to marigolds? Nope.) That's my "secret" although I tell it to everybody.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Congrats![8D] That is one thing I miss about living back east!

Sounds like a small garden for 5 families.?.?...I'll bet you that it grows each year.[:)]

Yeah, this is the test garden,..I figure it will get bigger next year also.

Rocky, marigolds is on the plan for next year

Cartod, might just try that.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a flat of marigolds real cheap. Just stick them in here and there between 'mater plants. Doesn't matter what kind or color of marigolds, but I usually use the miniature ones just to take up less room and use up less of my Miracle Grow and water.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    well,..I don't know ifin yall remember my question about the troybuilt rototiller my neighbor wanted to sell,..but I bought it. Troybuilt bronco, counter rotating, used one season, set-up for 3 years. It wouldn't stay running, bud judicious application of a dental pick inside the float bowl and carb journals has her purring like a kitten. He payed $600,..I gave him $250[:D]

Anyway, 5 houses went together and put this thing in the back of my property where everyone can come and pick their wares.

15' x 80'[:0] we planted strawberries, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers, 3 varietys of tomatos, jalepenos, haberneros, cayeanes (sp), cucumbers, yellow squash, zuchini, basil, sweet corn, 2 types of lettuce, cantelopes, and string beans[:p] Hope we got enough[;)]

man I can't wait to see this thing come up and be gettin bushy.

Any tips from the experienced gardeners that would help any of the plants grow faster or thicker?? anything we can do to help it produce at maximum capacity and health[?]

Here is mine...first year, but I am not sharing, except with the old people accross the road. They are too old to garden. Everyone else has been eying min, but they are all of sound body. They can make their own.

Garden001.jpg

Compost Pit
    Garden2005.jpg

Garden3001.jpg
    edited November -1
    My Keep out Javelina fence!!

Fence001.jpg

087.jpg

217.jpg

220.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you got a jump on me,..we could just now get this one in from 2 weeks of rain[V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    you got a jump on me,..we could just now get this one in from 2 weeks of rain[V]

We have not had rain for a few months. Life in the desert I guess.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    hey survivalist,
    nice garden! next year you might want to give the corn more room. you'll get a better yeild.
    I planted 10 acres of feed corn last year at 2 feet apart.
    may be different for sweet corn though.
    tom
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keeps the weeds and rabbits out and water generously until the seeds/plants are 2-3" tall. Then water regularly.
    Then keep an eye out for bugs/cut worms.[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    hey survivalist,
    nice garden! next year you might want to give the corn more room. you'll get a better yeild.
    tom

I use all non-hybred stuff. Problem with planting corn here, is the wind constantly blows. You got to keep it compact or the wind will blow it over. If it is too close, I will re evaluate it next year.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    hey survivalist,
    tom

I use all non-hybred stuff. Problem with planting corn here, is the wind constantly blows. You got to keep it compact or the wind will blow it over. If it is too close, I will re evaluate it next year.

Relax...
    I plant my sweetcorn on 15x6's. That is 6 inch plant spacing with rows 15 inches apart. Mine did fine. You must keep it watered well though as it will dry out quickly.