In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Americas largest Gang

SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
edited October 2009 in General Discussion
Before clicking this video, realize, it is a long video. It is also a very shocking video. This is not an I hate Police thread. I deal with officers daily, and have the utmost respect for officers that do their job protecting the innocent from the viscious criminals out there. The cops on this video, dont seem like very good police officers, and they down right scared me.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54162036

Comments

• Options
    BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Police departments are quickly losing the respect of the public. Their authority is one of respect, without it they are rendered ineffective. Police are not powerful enough to control the public unless the public allows it. It's something that needs real evaluation in this country. I personally have had to deal with our local police departments on several occasions the past few years. Not for issues concerning my behavior, rather for events that have happened and other's behavior that has got me involved. I can't list the lies and deception put forth by our local police in this note. It has caused me to lose respect for the police departments involved. I still hold some respect for a few individual officers. It was a sad day for me to admit the very people my community relies on for protection and service are dishonest.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I grew up in a
    family of cops
    -nuff said
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you guys see the scary parts where people are asking how to file a complaint and you see the cops flip out and get really sketchy and not let the people leave? That is scary. The entire video is scary.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize
    Did you guys see the scary parts where people are asking how to file a complaint and you see the cops flip out and get really sketchy and not let the people leave? That is scary. The entire video is scary.

Yes I watch that part, all of it actually. That is pretty much the type of assistance I have come to expect from our local agencies. Question, evade, intimidate. Problem for them is I'm persistent and don't intimidate worth a damn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are plenty of good cops out there, this video doesn't highlight their accomplishments.

This just shows us that it is important to rememeber to not assume just because someone is wearing that uniform that they are there to "help you".

Someone posted that like to the lawyer that told people to "never talk to the police". Good advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im glad this hasnt gone crazy. I thought it was a great video. It reminds me that theres always two sides to everything. Ive only been pulled over by an officer one time in clearwater, where I was clearly speeding. I got pulled over, standard procedure, I had both hands on the wheel, window down, car turned off, e brake on, wallet on dash with Registration, Proof of insurance and Drivers license ready to go. I was a little shook. Cop came over, took all my info, I waited about 5 minutes, he came back, gave me a verbal warning, told me to slow it down through there, and he sent me on my way. I think it was the NRA card he looked down and saw when I gave him all my info from my wallet, I saw him look down, and make direct eye contact with it. I also noticed he had some kind of nascar number sticker on the bottom of the mag of his gun, so I figure he was a gun guy. That was the first and only time ive been pulled over. Real nice guy, very professional and polite.
  • Options
    vrabinecvrabinec Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't doubt there are cops with anger/power issues, but I've never met one. I've been pulled over a bunch of times, and the cops have always been professional.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Someone is taking lessons from the Michael Moore school of film editing.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a problem with short cops, I call it the 'short cop syndrome' the ones with attitude always seem to be shorter than average. I know it's not true since some of the best cops I've met have been short, including a couple of good friends. I see a short cop and expect attitude, not right, just a stereotype I've can't get past.
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Lost all respect for law inforcment a while ago,as far as I have seen these days most of them are bullies.I have police in the family,both male and female they are the same.
  • Options
    stayathomedadstayathomedad Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This site makes me want to build a bunker and hide. I know there are some bad cops, I hope there are more (good ones than bad), but I keep seeing things like this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Someone is taking lessons from the Michael Moore school of film editing.

Nunn, while that is entirely possible and probably did happen in many of those scenes, the guy who was shot in the back while in handcuffs, while another cop was beating him in the face: it's difficult to explain that. That off duty guy that went behind the bar and beat the crap out of the bartender... I don't care what she may have said to him, that was inexcusible. He was drunk (probably drove home too)and he should have been fired.

A few bad apples are going to make it difficult for any of you good guys to be respected. It'll make your job considerably more difficult as people automatically disrespect you for the actions (or perceived actions) of others. Some will be more vocal and non-complaint with your requests. Others will be more reluctant to provide you with info that might help you out.

Just my opinion of course. While I have never encountered a "trained" police office who was disrespectful of me, videos like this and testimony from folks here (one of you guys said you were required to surrender your firearm during a traffic stop) will make me more leary and less likely to assume I will be dealing with a moral, professional individual.

The reason I said "trained" above is because of the one incident I had in a small town in GA, where the guys must have received their LEO training from TV. I was 17, it was 3 AM. I had just left work and was taking a co-worker home (we tried for an hour to get his car to start in the parking lot before we left it). It was a one caution light town. I dropped him off and headed back out of town. I saw the patrol car as I passed the caution light, he followed me the additional 1/4 mile to the city limits and lit me up just before I passed outside them.

When the 300 pound office, wearing a name badge bearing the same name as the city approached my window, while the 80 pound "Barney Fife" took up his cover position on the passenger side quarter panel, gun drawn, I knew I was in trouble. His first question to me "You been drinkin', boy?" I just sighed and said, "No sir. I just left work and am heading home."

1.5 hours later, after a field sobriety test, and the entire contents of my vehicle on the side of the road from the search, they left me there to load it back up. His parting words to me "Boy, if I ever find out you were lying to me I will come back to haunt you." Ummm...okay.

I felt like I was in a Dukes of Hazzard episode with Roscoe P Coltrane and Enos shakin' me down.

My dad (a lifelong LEO) was pissed as hell and he figured I had been out drinking as well. Once I got him to listen to what happened, he laid off me for a bit and said he would speak with the guys later. I never knew what, if anything, came of that, but my dad never asked me where I was that night again.

Anytime I have dealt with officers since that day, they have been professional, courteous, and even when I deserved a ticket, calm and not professing to be the "law", just enforcing it (for my own safety, of course).

I can understand where the attitude comes from for some of these officers. You deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis. Some officers, IMO, have trouble separating the scum from the law abiding citizens. Some see anyone not carrying a badge as scum, or maybe just not as worthy. I think that is where the "brotherhood" comes in and gives some guys pause when faced with the situation of arresting a fellow officer for breaking the law.

Keep up the good work, Nunn. I have seen your posts and opinions here many times and I think you are one of the good guys. I hope guys like you always outnumber the bad seeds on the force.
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drive a truck for a living and would like to make this analogy. Us like cops (my job just doesn't suck as bad as theirs) do good things most of the time, but the only time you ever read anything about "us", cops included, is when one of the small minority of bad apples does anything wrong. Which makes it look like all of us are bad.
  • Options
    bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do the good police tell on the bad police?
    if the good ones condone what the bad ones do by turning a blind eye does the that make them as guilty as the bad ones?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's almost comical how a handful here are somehow compelled to regularly post bad cop news stories - the majority of which tend to be about them being nailed by their fellow cops - when there are somewhere around 1,000,000 more out there just plugging away every day.

What's funny about this is that these few don't seem to notice how only a relative handful of regulars even bother to comment one way or another.

They obviously don't realize the huge majority here just sits back and views them as so pathetic they don't warrant comment. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like these guys handled the situation pretty well.

http://tinyurl.com/yanr2v2
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Police departments are quickly losing the respect of the public. Their authority is one of respect, without it they are rendered ineffective. Police are not powerful enough to control the public unless the public allows it. It's something that needs real evaluation in this country. I personally have had to deal with our local police departments on several occasions the past few years. Not for issues concerning my behavior, rather for events that have happened and other's behavior that has got me involved. I can't list the lies and deception put forth by our local police in this note. It has caused me to lose respect for the police departments involved. I still hold some respect for a few individual officers. It was a sad day for me to admit the very people my community relies on for protection and service are dishonest.

I would say this remark needs to be qualified....there are far more Communities in this Country that have very well respected, effective Police Depts...I suppose in higher population density, lower socioeconomic areas there is a tension. But in the portion of the State that I live in the majority of the Community appreciate the Police, they don't fear them
  • Options
    bafishybafishy Member Posts: 590 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That video is pretty sad. I didn't even want to watch anymore after the one about the guy that got burned.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah that was some very upsetting images...

Some of those incidents are directly related to poor training...some related to people that should NOT be Police officers...that entire section of stills where they describe using the Tasers...those Officers apparently had very poor training in deploying a Taser. They should have gotten control of the subject while he was being Tased the first time...you DON'T Tase someone and stand there while they are incapacitated and wait for the 5 second deployment to stop...you take advantage of the incapacitation and control them at that point...rediculous
  • Options
    tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    editing tricks? is that what you really think? same with 9/11 too? Come on now! Lets face it, there are good people & there are others who are varying degrees of not good....forget some good ole boys network BS finally, isnt it apparant by now that bs like that got us where we are today?
  • Options
    bafishybafishy Member Posts: 590 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No kidding. I understand that LEO's dont have an easy job but there is no excuse for the actions shown in those clips. Let's not lower the perception of law enforcement any more then it already has.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Someone is taking lessons from the Michael Moore school of film editing.
    Maybe yes, maybe no, but the underlying issue is simply that we are living in an ever increasing police-state and many of those who wear the badge and take the Oath to support and defend our Constitution, are simply thugs who have zero allegiance to America's Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or our founding principles.

Each and every 'officer of the law' who acts thus, should be hounded out of policing and subsequently fired and/or prosecuted to the full extent of the law, where appropriate.

Sometimes I hate what my profession is becoming/has become.

Another good illustration of the approach & mindset of "Peace Officer" vs. "Law Enforcement Officer".

A final point, collectivism inevitably leads to totalitarianism.

It would pay to take heed this simple truth.
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    I couldn't even finish the video after listening to the behavior
    of the guy that was covered in burns, and the cops tazzing him.
    I hope they we're fired. My God that is horrible. What a
    couple of imbeciles. The cops on this video give all a bad name.
    Just sad.[:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mouse
    Mouse, you really should force yourself to finish it. It makes an important point, overall.

Most of the rest does not involved killing, but, rather, other equally reprehensible acts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Mouse, you really should force yourself to finish it. It makes an important point, overall.

Most of the rest does not involved killing, but, rather, other equally reprehensible acts.

The responses from the officers when asked for a complaint form is the type of behavior I have come to expect for our local police departments. But I posted earlier.

I have admitted for years I would not have made a good police officer when I was young, not enough patience. When I got past 30, maybe I could have done it but had no interest. I think one of the issues is simply people going into this line of work too young with not enough life experience. Then they mature in that role, never having lived another. This has to affect their outlook. Then they eventually train the new guy, young with not much life experience. Someone who knows no other way of life, training another that will know no other way of life. You see this in a lot of areas, but Police, Politicians, Judges and others in public service effect people's lives directly.
  • Options
    edited November -1

+1. When i first saw the video, i didnt want to watch the whole thing, i turned it off shortly after i started it, then i watched the video in its entirety, and im glad i did. The people asking for the complaint forms and then not being able to leave was the scariest part for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

The responses from the officers when asked for a complaint form is the type of behavior I have come to expect for our local police departments. But I posted earlier.

I have admitted for years I would not have made a good police officer when I was young, not enough patience. When I got past 30, maybe I could have done it but had no interest. I think one of the issues is simply people going into this line of work too young with not enough life experience. Then they mature in that role, never having lived another. This has to affect their outlook. Then they eventually train the new guy, young with not much life experience. Someone who knows no other way of life, training another that will know no other way of life. You see this in a lot of areas, but Police, Politicians, Judges and others in public service effect people's lives directly.
    Clearly, there is an entitlement and 'rules do not apply to me' mentality that develops in many cops.

This is far too often accompanied by an 'us vs. them' mentality.

This manifests in the desire to shield bad police actions from public scrutiny and to excuse bad acts by cops, because mere civilians 'just can't/don't understand' and other such rationalizing and justifying crap.

Add those to the modern militaristic 'LEO' mindset, tactics and training and viola, you have a budding JBT and a budding JB-thug culture.

This often develops into some bizarre 'warrior' culture and some 'elite force' attitude.

There is a crystal clear distinction between the 'Peace Officer' and the 'Law Enforcement Officer' mindset, despite the protestations that I have seen here previously, from, you guessed it, the 'LEO' crowd.

It is what it is.