In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fav. Turkey call!

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hi, was just wondering what everyone thought was the best (loudest, and good sounding) turkey call !out there

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wingbone call.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard you can make those yourself? Anyone ever do that before?
    edited November -1
    I have several. They are fairly easy to make. You take the two bones from the wing for a two bone call(I prefer those), and you can take the bone that connects the wing to the body to make a three bone call.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    You don't need to add or remove anything from the bones?
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Fav. Turkey call!
    "Dinner's Ready"! [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey A.Gun You are going to get alot of different oppinions on this matter. If you have family members that also hunt turkey and have been successfull talk to them and maybe they can help you out! Any call is good on the right day. If that gobbler is blank enough, he will come to ya with any call they sell!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My go to call is an old perfection double glass call, with an arcrylic striker. I have shot more turkey using this call than any other I have, and believe me I have a lot. You can really boom the sound out with the friction calls, Second would have to be a raspy hen double reed mouth call. That said, I usally go into the woods with no less than 8 or 9 different calls. Like another poster said, no two days are alike. Also helps to practice with one call till you get really good with it. You can have the best call in the world but it wont do you any good if you cant sing love songs with it.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Who needs a call anymore? Their everywhere!!!!

I have Quaker Boys for the most part, slate stick is what I mainly use

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Agun- Once you remove the bones,you have to cut the ends, then you have to clean out the marrow, using a piece of wire.
    Then you boil them in soapy water for about an hour. Finish cleaning all the meat and marrow. You take the smaller bone and place it in the larger bone-if it does not fit, you might have to do a little more cutting. Now move the smaller bone around inside the larger bone until you find where it sounds best. Then get some 5 minute epoxy and place epoxy in the larger bone, so that the smaller bone is glued into place.
    Some say only hen bones work-I have calls made from the bones of Gobblers, jakes, hens, they all work well.

There is a series of hunting books that they sell in the marts called "The complete hunter". Find the Wild Turkey volume-in it there are very simple directions for making a wingbone call.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Thanks a ton Salzo...I'm going to try that next time I or a family member gets a gobbler!
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lynch box call...My favorite but I don't know if it's the turkeys!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    mines one of them push pull calls by loemans or however ya spell it

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I'm going to try that next time I or a family member gets a gobbler!

That is the hardest part when it comes to making a wingbone call-getting a bird.
    I have made a couple using the wings of turkey carcasses that I find in the woods. A lot of times the predator doesnt eat the wings.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Well ya, I mean I have hunted longbearads 2 years (3 this spring)and still haven't nailed one. They are tought but I think that's why I LOVE to hunt these birds!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Today I received my March Issue of Field and Stream and it has an arcticle in there with pictures included as to how to make a Wingbone Turkey Call.

Sounds almost as if Salzo wrote it.Maybe you can find or borrow that magazine from someone.And then Bag you a Turkey with a wing and you'll be all set.[:p]

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lynch box call would be my favorite and i also like the primos titan 2000 its a titanium crystal call,it has great sound.[:D][:)][:p]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Homemade box calls...along with a wing bone...just my .02

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated