In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TAXES !! Lots of discussion,, still gripes me

droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
When I get too happy about this time of year,, helps to think about the taxes and "maintenance" costs in this great country.

Social Security. 6.2% you,, 6.2% employer
Medicare 1.45% you,, 1.45% employer
Income 20.4% and up.

Other:
Property Tax, Sales Tax, School Tax, License fees, Phone, Utility, Gasoline and some people pay a "state tax".

Misc. Business
These taxes are passed along to the consumers.
Signs. yes, in Houston they tax the signs displayed at businesses.
Garbage Dumpster behind your business, yep,,, in case it catches fire,,, you pay the county for the "potential" fire department call.
License(s). Food, liquor, you name it
Inspection(s) Oh,,, someone needs to pay those inspectors
Fines Yep,,, that helps pay for the inspections, their job is to find problems,, not help fix them. Like speeding tickets,, helps pay the bills.

HIDDEN:
Results in higher costs for goods and services. ??? who knows?

I believe this results in a 50% total tax on the higher middle income earnings,, say $80,000 year. Lots of ways to figure this but bottom line,,, expensive.

Throw in the necessities,, Rent / House payments, car, car insurance, HEALTH insurance, OH,, don't forget food and heaven help you if you pay collage books and tuition for you kids. This is when a family outing at McDonalds costing $25.00 gets expensive.
Any other "taxes" in the US similar to the Houston "dumpster" tax ?

When only the best will do.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Then there is the most stupid tax of all, the INVENTORY TAX , I had a store in KY and one day a dude in a suit came in and started counting all the Radios I had in the store, I ask him what he was doing, and he said "you havent paid your inventory tax yet" and I then ask him for his credentials, which indeed was a state tax agent, so I told him to leave and come back tomorrow, at which time I proceeded to take everything to my home, and left one register and one radio on the shelf.. He came the next day , looked in, shook his head and left..[^]Also people dont know that businesses pay an anual tax on all the cash registers and machines they use in their business.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif