In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spartan guns... any comments

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Was looking at the Spartan guns SP94 (formerly Baikal) on the web last night. Particularly the combo gun in 12/.308. MSRP a bit over $500 so I'm guessing they could be had for around $350. Not sure I like the rifle barrel under the shotgun but.... Thought it would make a good gun for deer hunting in CRP where there are plenty of birds to be had also. Any first hand experiences with or comments on. Saw they also had some single shot rifles for around $200 MSRP.

Comments

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most cases their worth the money,as far as the Rifle/shotgun combo I have a Savage .222 over a 12GA and its about the same price.I put a scope on mine several yrs ago and I have used it a good bit when Turkey hunting.If you can find a dealer with one in stock you should feel it and see if you like the feel and how well the gun shoulders then compare it to the Savage.Best of Luck!!

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    couple friends of mine bought O/Us , less than 1000 rounds, and they have loosened up as far as beginning to wobble on the pivot pin..They are looking into where to send em for WARRANTY repair..[:0]

Those who can make you believe absurdities
    can make you commit atrocities.

Do I give my friends advice? NO, . They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I have considered the savage but the rifle calibers are not quite what I am looking for. I'm sure what FCD said about the barrel being on the bottom is why they were able to use higher pressure rounds than the savage (rifle barrel on top). Spartans also have choke tubes which is a plus. In my area it is unlikely I will "see one on the shelf" or even at a dealer. Classic's comment on warrantee is what worries me. Guess i'll just wait till I can handle one and go from there.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    couple friends of mine bought O/Us , less than 1000 rounds, and they have loosened up as far as beginning to wobble on the pivot pin..They are looking into where to send em for WARRANTY repair..[:0]

Do I give my friends advice? NO, . They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Lay the shotgun flat on anvil(piece of railroad track works great) strike end of pivot pin with ball-peen hammer several times. Be sure to use round(peening) end of BP hammer. Turn gun over on anvil. Strike other end of pivot pin several times with ball peen hammer. Shotgun should be tighter.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality went in the dumper when they got the Spartan name compared to the Baikals.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for...
  • Options
    John ZoellickJohn Zoellick Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that shure doesnt sound to good.[:(]
    I was thinking about about buying a SXS 30-06,sounds unique but if its gonna fall apart after a 1000 rounds.[:(!]

"* ER DONE"
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    American gun companies are caught in the same nut cracker that the American automobile companies are caught. Higher labor and benefit costs and cheap foreign imports. They are beginning to try to survive by importing the cheaper goods themselves to turn a profit. I'm not all tht sure that it will work out to their staying alive but at least they are trying. Russian equipment(Spartan) has always been robust and simple but very reliable.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am not going to hit anyones shotgun with a Hammer..[:D][:0]Besides its not the pin that is wearing that bad,, its the locking lug under the barrels