In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever used brake cleaner as a gun cleaner?

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
Just figured I would ask who has or has not used brake cleaner on a firearm before. I used it once the other night, it really got rid of grunge, and didnt seem to hurt the gun or finish. (poly and steel)

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Don't use it if you have any rubber or plastic pasts such as grips, o-rings or washers, or anything else that isn't steel or aluminum. It will either destroy them immediately, or cause them to degrade and destroy them in due time. It has acetone in it.

It will also remove any paint such or non-etched or stamped writing.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So why is it safe to spray on brake parts that have plastics? Am I missing something or what?
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    So why is it safe to spray on brake parts that have plastics? Am I missing something or what?

I'm just telling you I ruined a set of Beretta grips and a recoil buffer using it. I'm not telling you not to use it, go ahead if you wish. You may find out the hard way like I did.

I figure brake parts are made of plactics that are somewhat resistent since they are exposed to brake fluid.

I'll never use the stuff on a gun again.

There is also a spray gun cleaner that will do the same thing and contains acetone, but it says on the back label not to spray it on anything other than metal parts. The brake clearner may say the same thing.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Not allowed but really cut my cleaning time on my M-16. Used it on the 50 and 60 to.
  • Options
    flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    The rubber parts of a brake system are different than run of the mill o-rings,hoses,ect. Drop a old brake cylinder cup in engine oil and see what happens after 48 hours.

Try using ether (starting fluid) for a cleaning agent. It's more forgiving than brake clean.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used brake cleaner, but have used carburetor cleaner on all steel parts only.
    Don't ever let it contact paint, varnish or oil finished wood!
    It is a excelent stripper of the above! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    not all synthetics are created equal. some are specifically designed to be safe for use with certain solvents. thats why plastic parts in brake systems wont be ruined by brake cleaner, but plastics in other things will be.

im a HUGE fan of using the right tool for the job. sure, it usually costs more and increases the effort and aggravation, but you know its going to work. to my eyes, doing it right the first time always makes more sense than half assing it and then trying to fix it later. this was a big problem for me in the deep sea merchant marine where we maybe be weeks away from a port call where we can get the "right" solution and have to make a "good enough" job out of it what we have on hand. ive lost many nights sleep over whether a mickey mouse repair was going to hold out long enough or at least fail in such a way as nobody got hurt. of course, as the safety officer and medic, worrying over my crews safety was sort of my principal job description so i guess thats par for the course.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell a LOT of spray brake cleaner, thousand of cans a month. One customer buys it by the skid and resells it.

Brake cleaner is a awesome degunker for guns, tools, lawn mowers and even brakes; just use caution around SOME plastics and stock finishes. Ours has a hint of orange fragrance in it to reduce the harsh chemical smell.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcolumn
    Try using ether (starting fluid) for a cleaning agent. It's more forgiving than brake clean.
    Makes damn fine battery cleaner too, so I'm told!
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's a dumb move. Don't do it.
  • Options
    flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcolumn
    Makes damn fine battery cleaner too, so I'm told!
    Yeah, well, some times it's not "forgiving"[;)]
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    When my ruger mk. 2 gets dirty I take the grips off and clean it with brake cleaner.
    I will give one warning: never use it on anodized aluminum! It will discolor it.
    I used it on a Browning double auto and found out the hard way!
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    Never used brake cleaner, but have used carburetor cleaner on all steel parts only.
    Don't ever let it contact paint, varnish or oil finished wood!
    It is a excelent stripper of the above! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [;)]

Yep, if you've used paint stripper on a stock and a few little spots still have finish clinging to them after you've scraped, just give them a shot of carb cleaner. Works well, and it's less messy than reapplying the paint stripper.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I use O'Reilly's carb cleaner. It will strip paint, and ruin wood finish. You just have to know that, and take proper precautions. I don't use it on anything but metal parts that have been completely stripped down.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it. It works good. Pissed my team leader off something awful, though, when he would inspect my M4 and not find a flake of carbon deposits in it.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I love the smell of Hoppes, yes, on my stainless items. Works great.
    If you're shy of time it beats a complete breakdown, as it seems to remove every bit of crud.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I've used it. It works good. Pissed my team leader off something awful, though, when he would inspect my M4 and not find a flake of carbon deposits in it.

Rather use brake cleaner than put it in a sonic cleaner. A white M-16 does not look good.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Buy a bottle of blinkerfluid and top up the bottle with it - that will protect the plastics.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as long as you use NON CHLORINATED breal cleaner you will be fine. I have some on my cleaning bench.

I also have the ULTIMATE carbon eater,..GM Top Engine Cleaner (TEC) but they discontinued it[V]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not as a general cleaner for all parts, but it's great for really getting the barrel down to bare metal.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's handy, expecially when complete detail strip cleaning time rolls around (at least annually).

I first clean all parts with with a good gun cleaning solvent (Butch's [^]) and brush, then blast them with GunScrubber or non-chlorinated brake cleaner. At this point - when all residues have been removed from the parts - inspection for wear, cracks,etc. is much easier and thorough.

By using this, when it comes time for reassembly I know that my fresh lube will be working as designed with zero chance of contaminants.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I also have the ULTIMATE carbon eater,..GM Top Engine Cleaner (TEC) but they discontinued it[V]
    The ultimate I've used is carbon tetrachloride.

However, serious precautions must be taken.[B)]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    When my ruger mk. 2 gets dirty I take the grips off and clean it with brake cleaner.

This is exactly how I started using brake/carburetor cleaner on my guns.

That MKII can be ridiculous to clean thoroughly.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunscrubber is brake cleaner, just has a different label and a higher price. It will suck any and all oil out of the pores in the metal, leaving it more exposed to moisture. It's important to use a silicon based gun oil like CLP, right after you use the brake cleaner.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it to clean my bowling balls and it works great for that.
  • Options
    lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For nasty bulk parts, I use gasoline. Brake cleen is ok but just for steel and aluminum. It's also expensive around here. Ever use Gunk Foamy Brite? Get it at the auto parts store. Spray it on, wait 5 mins. hose it off. All clean. Warm soapy water is about the cheapest. Don't throw away those old toothbrushes either. Great for nooks and cranies! Use the wifes toothbrush in a pinch! [:)]
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't uesed it as a gun cleaner, but it makes a great bee and wasp killer, kills them almost instantly!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I use it quite a bit. Two uses-

1. I spray some down the bore before shooting to remove any oil left- I store most of my guns with the bores lightly oiled.

2. When cleaning handguns, after cleaning the bore (and cylinders on a revolver) and disassembling, I spray the whole thing down with brake cleaner to get all the carbon out of the slide, mag well, etc. Remove the grips for this. Let it dry, then I spray down with a light mist of oil and grease any parts that should be greased. Note I don't do this after EVERY shooting, but when I do a thorough takedown and cleaning, it's a must.
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    as long as you use NON CHLORINATED breal cleaner you will be fine. I have some on my cleaning bench.

Bingo! We have a winner. NON CHLORINATED. Comes in a green can. I get it at
    Walmart.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I use a brake cleaner that is marked Safe for Rubber and Plastic, However I do my best to keep it off of wood finishes.. I havent hurt a gun with it yet..

On 1100s I take out the trigger housing and mechanism and spray the heck out of it with Brake Cleaner,, the gook really runs out.. then blow it off with a compressor and it is spotless.. A very light coat or Rem Oil and it is good again for another 1000 rounds....