In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Got Wiplash !!!!!

shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
Went to the track (dragstrip) with my bud, Mike, on Sunday.

As some of you know, he has a 8.90 second 1/4 car.

Well, anyway, we were parked out by the top end so it was a long walk from the trailer to the staging lanes.

So, Mike says jump in, I'll take you there (my job is to take care of the rear tires pressure in the lanes as well as watch the tires as he leaves for any spin).

Anyway, we do this for 2 time runs and one win.

Then the car starts acting funny, won't idle good.

So, after we go over everything, it still don't idle good. (We found the problem, but not that day).

So, it's time to race, we get in the car and head for the lanes.

I'm sittin in the passenger seat looking around trying to be cool, and because the carb ain't working right, Mikie decides to crack it a couple of times heading to the lanes.

Well, with those big tires and my head not resting on anything, I guess my head did a couple of whacks.

Didn't bother me Sunday or Monday. Tuesday morning I could not move my head. Hurt like hech all day. Motrin and Anacin couldn't touch it, as a matter of fact, not even the hot shower.

Today it's gettin a little better, a little...........

See the car at http://www.hotrodmechanic.net

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Go to the dr....could be serious damage that is not noticable right away....damage that could last for years..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Serves ya right! Old man like you shouldn't be playing with kid's toys, LOL. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgamericana_logo.art

Charlie
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    That's our gang...[;)]
    Beth worries about damage,
    Charlie chews your butt out,
    no sympathy from here either...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    outdoor...

I have been there...when the drunk driver hit me and killed my niece, I suffered whiplash...was in physical therapy for over a year...still get wicked headaches every once in a while from it....

worry bout damage?...yes I do, and not seeing a dr when one is needed to me is just plain dumb....

I know, I know, beth the preachy one...awwwwwww shuddup....*LOL

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey girl, I really fixed you...[;)]
    Just spoke with Pa on the phone and told him you were worried about him! Made him grin! You two are like a brother and sister, ya fuss, but ya know ya love each other! [:D]

And shooter,
    does this conversation make you feel better? [:D]

I'm feelin' frisky tonight...
    guess I better close the lid on this thing and come back tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DEAD MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a muscle strain, given that it wasn't immediate and that its getting a little better. Give it a few days and take 800mg Motrin 3 times a day (max dose). If it gets better, great. If not, a doc probably won't help you much. Chiropractors may help but you need to find an experienced one and only if you are comfortable with them manipulating your neck. All in all, if it is a little better, it will probably continue to get better.

I've had such an injury to my neck last year. It took 2 weeks to resolve but it eventually did. I had my neck manipulated by a DO which didn't help much, if any.

Keep us informed shooter.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg18car99.gif

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    Don't Mess with Texas / Don't Mess with Poland
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Jerry,

What's going on in Pa with Pa? [:)]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgamericana_logo.art

Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I knew I could count on you folks [:D]

Didn't realize what it was until yesterday. It was cold and very windy out Sunday and at first I figured it was stiff from the cold wind hitting it all day. Then I remembered about our little ride to the lanes. Didn't feel anything when it happened.

Still sore today, but a little better than yesterday. Feels like the top of the muscle on the right side in the back of the neck. Got about 50% of motion back (turning head left and right).

I'm not one to run to the Dr., so I'll give it a couple more days.

Dang race cars [:D]

Told Mikie to let me know when he's gonna crack that thing when I'm in it.

When he races it, he has his head back against a rest and he wears a neck support that wraps around the back of his neck under his helmet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have just gotten me so flippin angry...

quote:I'm not one to run to the Dr., so I'll give it a couple more days.

And the damage is done....ALREADY!!!!!...I was taken care of immediately after my accident and still the damage was there enough for a year of physical therapy....
    Pardon me but you are one dumb as*

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BR,

What can the doc do?

Tell me to take it easy (I am).

Tell me to take Motrin (I'm not hurtin enough to take anything for it now.

What is it anyway, a muscle sprain?

I was not in an accident, just in the seat of a car that has a lot of ponies in it and the driver hit the juice a little. Propably threw my head back a little when I didn't expect it, maybe I had my head turned to the right at the time. Didn't feel anything when it happened.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's our girl!
    Ken, you're a dumb *,
    and I'm dead meat...[:D]

Sure glad that north of yankee land lady is sweet,
    MOST of the time. [;)]

Charlie,
    spoke with Tim again yesterday to make sure it wasn't his health.
    Says he'll go to the doc next week if he's not feeling better...
    (there's your opening Beth [;)])
    Too, he and Chris are busy with the kids and different sports events right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shooter...
    This is br...

It can be anything from a cracked skull to a pinched nerve to torn muscles and ligaments..Cracked skull because you hit your head...etc...yes you are still a dumb as&* for not going to the dr...you dont need to be in a car accident to get whiplash...if you dont get to a dr, you will get whiplash via the internet from someone in florida...got that??????????

Whiplash is a sudden movement of the head that can lead to tearing of muscles, ligaments, and other soft-tissues. The most commonly injured muscles are the longus colli and the sternocledomastoids. These muscles in the front of the neck can become very sore for several weeks. Whiplash can also cause a stretching injury to the neck ligaments. Common symptoms include headaches, stiffness, neck pain, mild dizziness, problems thinking or remembering, numbness and tingling, and jaw pain. Low back pain and hip pain are also common.

http://www.whiplash101.com/default1.htm

another site..

Whiplash-a soft tissue injury to the neck-is also called neck sprain or neck strain. It is characterized by a collection of symptoms that occur following damage to the neck, usually because of sudden extension and flexion. The disorder commonly occurs as the result of an automobile accident and may include injury to intervertebral joints, discs, and ligaments, cervical muscles, and nerve roots. Symptoms such as neck pain may be present directly after the injury or may be delayed for several days. In addition to neck pain, other symptoms may include neck stiffness, injuries to the muscles and ligaments (myofascial injuries), headache, dizziness, abnormal sensations such as burning or gentlemanling (paresthesias), or shoulder or back pain. In addition, some people experience cognitive, somatic, or psychological conditions such as memory loss, concentration impairment, nervousness/irritability, sleep disturbances, fatigue, or depression

Is there any treatment?
    Treatment for individuals with whiplash may include pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, muscle relaxants, and a cervical collar (usually worn for 2 to 3 weeks). Range of motion exercises, physical therapy, and cervical traction may also be prescribed. Supplemental heat application may relieve muscle tension.

What is the prognosis?
    Generally, prognosis for individuals with whiplash is good. The neck and head pain clears within a few days or weeks. Most patients recover within 3 months after the injury, however, some may continue to have residual neck pain and headaches.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/disorders/whiplash.htm

Still want to do your own self dx?....

billy.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif