In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's the tastiest, best thing you've ever eaten?

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
I will just have to start with my late mom's Cream Puffs.
It has been nearly 50 years since I ate one![V][:p]

Tastes are memories that you take with you till they plant you![^]

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is so tempting but I can't, I just can't![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Im a steak man. And T bones are my favorite. I could eat one every night. On the grill cooked rare. Nothing better.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher

Yep. Her name was April. [:p] Strawberry * was just becoming popular then. [;)]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Fried rice or Yakisoba from Okinawa.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my best friends wife makes the best apple pie in the world. every year we have a bet on the total number of N.O. Saints win for the season. if she wins i have to buy her a case of the small coke's. if i win i get an apple pie.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love good spaghetti.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Yep. Her name was April. [:p] Strawberry * was just becoming popular then. [;)]

Reminds me of a song!! "I got pieces of April.....it's a morning in bed!"[:D][:D]
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Steaks at Bohanan?s in San Antonio. Best steak I?ve ever had.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my mom's long deceased friends made world famous chicken and dumplings that was worth dieing for...no recipe, just a bunch of things all thrown together, made 1000s of times for wedding meals, funerals, family gatherings..the 1st entre' guaranteed to disappear. always imitated, never duplicated..
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    On the occasion of My Ship, the Pacific Far East Lines S.S. China Bear, making the First Port Call in Incheon, Korea, the Ship's Agent took all the Ship'S Officers to a tiptop Restaraunt. There, the party took over the top floor. There were Serving Girls lining the Walls, each Girl with a different special Dish. Plenty Booze!

Among all the Exotic Dishes served, there was One I have spent the rest of My life trying to duplicate. It was of Small Green Lima Beans, swimming in a Duck Fat and Stock sort of Soup, with rough cut Duck. The pieces of Duck looked like they had been dropped into a lawnmower, with random angles, and sharp broken bones sticking out. The spicing was warm, and unfamiliar.

There was another meal, of Pat? de Fois Gras, near Our Condo on Kauai...

Another, Rack of Lamb, finished and served tableside, with a grace note dessert of Bananas Foster, again tableside, in a Favorite restaraunt of the Andrettis, near Ontario Motor Speedway...

Rainbow Room, top of the Sixes...

Too many to choose from in a wonderful life!
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I'm going to say some very fresh Lobster right off the boat, (like fight the seagulls off fresh.) many (11 years) in a row. Drawn butter, baked potato, butter/sour cream, steamed asparagus, (or a similar fresh veggie.) Side salad, Garlic bread, etc etc. Sitting at a restaurant in Booth Bay, Stonington, or Acadia, or the like, watching fishing boats and various yachts/cruisers/sailboats come and go, as we watched the Sun go down over the ocean.

Mmmnnnn...........mouth watering about now.

Elephant Thai in Richmond, VA. comes to mind also. OMG good. [:D]

Fresh caught Trout at Smoketree Lodge near Banner Elk/Blowing Rock, NC.

And, and.....................
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    I'm going to say some very fresh Lobster right off the boat, (like fight the seagulls off fresh.) many (11 years) in a row. Drawn butter, baked potato, butter/sour cream, steamed asparagus, (or a similar fresh veggie.) Side salad, Garlic bread, etc etc. Sitting at a restaurant in Booth Bay, Stonington, or Acadia, or the like, watching fishing boats and various yachts/cruisers/sailboats come and go, as we watched the Sun go down over the ocean.

Mmmnnnn...........mouth watering about now.

Elephant Thai in Richmond, VA. comes to mind also. OMG good. [:D]

And, and.....................
    Got me thinking of a little Seafood Place in Oceanside Harbor. Never had a bad meal there. Walls were cover in Autographed pictures of stars. None of these new Punks but the Old good ones. It was a place they liked to visit.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Smoked Atlantic salmon from Charlie's Smokehouse in Ellison Bay WI. Best salmon on the planet!
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of things come to mind, if I have to pick one my Grandmother made a chili relish that her daughters have never been able to duplicate try as they may.

Simple things like a beefsteak tomato fresh out of the garden with Dukes Mayo and salt N pepper on Pumpernickel or Rye bread.

Breakfast this morning, Shrimp and Oyster Omelet with a Bacon Bloody Mary. The Bloody Mary bar was literally a meal, they had Kabob skewers and along with all the normal fixins came Applewood smoked bacon, Little Chicken salad sandwiches, Sausage biscuits and Fried Chicken! Go figure, I joked around that I could just get the Bloody Mary and the Breakfast that came with it.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Lots of things come to mind, if I have to pick one my Grandmother made a chili relish that her daughters have never been able to duplicate try as they may.

Simple things like a beefsteak tomato fresh out of the garden with Dukes Mayo and salt N pepper on Pumpernickel or Rye bread.

Breakfast this morning, Shrimp and Oyster Omelet with a Bacon Bloody Mary. The Bloody Mary bar was literally a meal, they had Kabob skewers and along with all the normal fixins came Applewood smoked bacon, Little Chicken salad sandwiches, Sausage biscuits and Fried Chicken! Go figure, I joked around that I could just get the Bloody Mary and the Breakfast that came with it.

Plus one about the fresh Tomato from the garden. Except it needs to be Miracle Whip salt/pepper. [}:)] your Bloody Mary bar, sounds like the Breakfast bar at Redtail Mountain Golf resort in Mtn City, TN on Sundays. I think I OD'd on bacon, last time I was there. [:0][B)][:D]
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what time of the year it is.....now I vote for a rib eye on the grill and fresh picked sweet corn on the cob...
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I liked steak until my wife made Prime Rib, OMG wonderful!! She had taken the recipes from three different TV chefs and came out with a combination that will blow your mind!!
    I used to call the military base and reserve a prime rib for us. Unfortunately we moved too far from the base and it is impracticable to do that now.
    I cannot express just how wonderful the prime rib was. I have gone to restaurants and ordered prime rib and it was just beef, not near on par with the wifes cooking.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife's drunken brisket, with garlic mashed potatoes and cucumber salad.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    ?What's the tastiest, best thing you've ever eaten??
    I have been trying to narrow it down to a top ten, but can?t, for the life of me.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh caught Copper river red salmon still cold from the river, cooked over an alder wood fire at rivers edge with mint leaves picked fresh on top. It is truly a meal from Gods bounty.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh walleye, caught in northern Minnesota in May. Brought to shore, cleaned, wrapped in foil, added a little butter, lemon pepper and salt then thrown in the camp fire. I am not much for fish or seafood, but that is a meal that I will never forget.

Next would be a dry aged prime New York Strip, medium rare at Sullivan's in Omaha Nebraska.

Pizza, I am partial to Lou Malnati's in chicago.

Desert, the tiramisu at McCormick and Schmick's on K St. in Washington DC.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my oldest friend's mom makes a Double Chocolate Cake that is like nothing else. I could eat that cake until I passed out.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use to be a little place in Seward, mind you this was in '82, that catered to the fishermen coming off the fishing charters. they would dress and package the days fresh catch as well as prepare a portion for the patron.

At any rate, I'd spent the morning on one of the boats contracted through morale support and had boated a fairly nice lingcod, as I recall it went 42 something. The boat's captain recommended the restaurant in town, so I took it there.
    That was the best fish and fries meal I have ever had. Was Not overburdened with seasonings, just butter and the slightest hint of garlic. I was literally stuffed to the gills when I left with what remained of my fish.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steak with crab meat in Gulf Shores some years ago- place got washed away I believe- then late moms gooseberry cobbler - then Jenifer, Kelly, Marcia, Cindy, Jervaise, ect.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yellow morel mushrooms, soaked overnight in salt water, then battered with egg and flour fried in corn oil.

I was served something at a restaurant in Korea that I've never found since. They called it Yaki mon doo. No clue what it was made of but it was incredibly yummy.

And I have to agree that lobster and prime rib rate right up there, too.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just a good old bologna , cheese , mayo and fresh lettuce and tomato sandwich .. may not be the best food I have ate but sure is comfort food [:D][^][^]
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    King cut of prime rib at The Cattleman's restaurant in Texarkana, AR. Always the same, and cuts with your fork. Served with a medium sized baked potato and horseradish that will take your breath away. Luckily, I live about 10 miles from there, and try to go at least once a month. [:p]
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    A prime 1+ inch thick Rib-eye (med. rare), saut?ed Portabella Mushrooms, Silver Queen Corn on the Cob , Fresh Green Salad and a good quality Cabernet Sauvignon...hard to beat, IMHO.

Stone Crab Claws best shell fish I ever tasted.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Her name was Amy : I even asked her to marry me ???

Stuff sweet dreams are made of !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    Fresh walleye, caught in northern Minnesota in May. Brought to shore, cleaned, wrapped in foil, added a little butter, lemon pepper and salt then thrown in the camp fire. I am not much for fish or seafood, but that is a meal that I will never forget.

Next would be a dry aged prime New York Strip, medium rare at Sullivan's in Omaha Nebraska.

Pizza, I am partial to Lou Malnati's in chicago.

Desert, the tiramisu at McCormick and Schmick's on K St. in Washington DC.

Every time we visit the wife's family in Minnesota, about all I eat is Walleye.

That said, a thick cut ribeye with a very small amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning rubbed and then briefly introduced to a hot grill is still the best in my book.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of several dishes I had in China.

Fish Heads, Actually Asian Carp.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover
    One of several dishes I had in China.

Fish Heads, Actually Asian Carp.

WOW, that's saying something- would not have guessed that one.[:0]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love just about all food.
    Some of my favorites:
    Halibut Cheeks
    Fresh Canadian Walleye cooked over an open fire with pork n beans, fried potatoes, and canned corn!Shore Lunch!
    Northern Illinois bi-color sweet corn with butter and salt.
    Soft Shell Crab.
    Bohemian Style Roast Duck, Dumplings, and Saur Kraut.
    Svickova. A Bohemian Beef dish with dumplings that is Spectacular! (Kind of a Bohemian Pot Roast)
    Morels, along with all mushrooms!
    Fresh home grown tomatoes. Especially as a Caprese Salad with real good Balsamic vinegar and fresh Basil.
    Oysters prepared any way. From raw to fried to baked to roasted.
    Thick cut Medium Rare Lamb Chops.
    Fresh Elk Tenderloin in butter in a hot cast iron pan in camp.
    Most everything at a fine French Restaurant, Steak House, Italian Restaurant, Chinese Restaurant, Japanese Restaurant, German, Etc!!
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grandmas Chunky Fried apple sauce with some Vanilla Ice cream on the side.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chocolate Lasagna! My wife and I ordered 1 serving figuring it was just standard restaurant fare. Took it home and when we ate it it was just SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! I was ready to break her neck and she was ready to stab me and poke my eyes out as we fought to get the last microscopic sub atomic crumb (LOL). And now they don't sell it............DAMIT DAMIT DAMIT!

When I was stationed in New Mexico the local stores carried a similar treat made by Breyers. It was good enough to convince the kids to do their homework, clean their rooms and show up with bowls in hand and halo's above their heads. And of course Breyer's stopped making it.

Anybody remember Ideal cookies?
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

yes, but not as good as Alaska king crab legs
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a child growing up on a farm we always killed hogs in the winter. Moms would can the tenderloins in gravy . Later in the year we would have tenderloin and gravy in fresh made biscuits . Oh to go back in time for one more meal of them
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wild hog ham smoked on pecan wood in an electric powered Brinkmann smoker. Damn that was good meat.
  • Options
    hulk2hulk2 Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Uncles Lasagna. He was from Italy, a WWII Vet & all around great guy. I really miss him & his great cooking.