In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Ebay Scam/Spoof ???

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
Just received this email that appeared to be from a ebay member, it looked VERY legit. Clicking on the item no. or description takes you to a phony sign it page. If this is old news sorry, its the first I've heard of it, and maybe theres someone out there that hasn't seen it yet.

eBay sent this message to you
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Question about Item -- Respond Now
eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Click the Respond Now button below to send your response via My Messages (your email address will not be included).

Question from harrymurphy
Item: (6436472319)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
barnsley1105 is a potential buyer.

Hey, I have tired twice to pay you through paypal but the transaction is not working its keeps giving an error message (This recipient is currently unable to receive money) is there anything wrong with your paypal??

Respond to this question in My Messages.

Item number: 6436472319
End date: 29-Oct-05 18:56:12 BST

View item description:
htps://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6436472319&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1

Thank you for using eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Ben

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Comments

• Options
    morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...got one tonight. Also from UK address. Fortunately, I haven't had anything listed for a while so I didn't click on the link. I forwarded it to ebay.

Just noticed your sender is the same as mine.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Scam....could be from Nigeria. The Nigerians are trying to scam ebay sellers now.

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Figured it was, this was just a new twist I've never seen before. Man, their pretty crafty.

Ben

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
    - Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E-fart did not even recognize the item #6436472319. It did not even say item sold or was removed for whatever reason. ITS A SCAM.

If you canceled your account cause of this it is understandable, but I found some interesting stuff about the users in question. Read below.

The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.
    This person's no longer a registered eBay user.
    User ID Effective Date End Date
    barnsley1105 Sep-08-05 Not a registered user

The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.
    This person's no longer a registered eBay user.
    User ID Effective Date End Date
    harrymurphy Jan-25-00 Not a registered user

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...SCAM. I rec. just last week the "old" scam email that was the one w/flea-bay logo and saying that my account may be terminated if I didnt respond (click a link). Something about I was maybe involved in some fraud or some such crap. Looked REAL! I had alresdy heard about this em, and I have just re-registered a few weeks ago,have not used the account! And,...the e-add they sent it to me thru was my "real" email add. not the "throw away" add. I had used to rgister with,so....did not "click", and deleted before I thought about sending on to flea-bay...[:0]

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"