In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Item I won won't be held for payment?

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Ever get this from a seller? I won a long rifle at a pretty good price, not a deal just the going rate or abouts pre sandy hook.

I planned to send a check but the site of the seller says inventory is NOT held while payment is waiting to be sent via the mail. So that leaves no other choice but to pay with credit card.

I just don't think that is Kosher.

I was going to just pay with a card but it required I create an account. OK so I try and the system will not allow it since the user name is already in use. The kicker is I was never asked to input a user name just a pass word and a confirmation pass word entered twice.

So I asked the seller to advise.

Inventory will not be held while payment is in the mail?

This will all get worked out and there is no support issue opened so no need to lock the topic.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The guy is in such a big hurry for payment that he can't even wait for it to be mailed? That makes me suspicious in general.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in before the lock anyway
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Since when has a "reason" been needed???
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Does not sound right at all. If you win something it should be a done deal, shipped upon payment or check clearing. Auctions are for items in hand.

I'd open a GB Support issue on it.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Does not sound right at all. If you win something it should be a done deal, shipped upon payment or check clearing. Auctions are for items in hand.

That's what I thought too but for all I know the seller may say to ignore it. No need to open an issue. I just wanted to know if anyone's ever heard of that before.

Here is from the email I got after winning.

Other Important Information
    Our pricing reflects a 3% discount for check or money order payments. No other form of payment qualifies for this discount and the 3% will be added to any amount paid via any other method.
    Please note that if you are mailing a payment inventory cannot be reserved until payment is received. If an item is no longer in stock when your payment is received, your money will be returned to you. Please contact us to reserve inventory with a credit card on file.
    If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You may email us by replying to this message.
    Thanks,
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    What the seller describes is not a sale.

I'd for sure attach a link before the lock hammer.

And open a support issue.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If their listing states they accept checks/MO's for payment then they've entered into a binding purchase contract. They sold it, they should hold it.

I would open a support issue and let GB tell them to finalize the sale. Seller will most likely block you from future bidding, but do you really want to buy from them again?
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still see no need for a support issue nor any reason to lock this topic. We are discussing seller's policy nothing else.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    totally dishonest practice. Once the auction has run its course, the high bidder at the end wins it. The rules of GB states a maximum 5 days to just make contact and then whatever time it takes for the mailed payment to arrive to seller. I think the seller is bound to the contract for 14 days to the high bidder to make payment.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They sound like someone I would not want to do business with. I wouldn't even want to complete this transaction with the crazy vibes they are giving off.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't it be easier to call the credit card in? Thats the way I do it.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Send in a check or m.o. And leave an F if its returned.
    Also id send him a copy of gb rules with the payment
    edited November -1
    Still IBTL
    "Contact each other. We have already sent the buyer and the seller an email message containing the other party's contact information. If you have not received your email, you can click on the other party's user name above to send a message. Our User Agreement requires that you contact each other within five (5) calendar days to make payment and shipping arrangements."
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell him that if he has to, go ahead and ship it now and you'll
    get the payment to him in a few days. I mean if he don't want to hold it while waiting [;)]
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BEWARE of this type of sale.. IBTL
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by topdad
    get the payment to him in a few days. I mean if he don't want to hold it while waiting [;)]
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by topdad
    [:D][:D][;)]
  • pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way that I read the email is that they want a c.c. on file to hold the item while they wait for your payment. Sounds reasonable to me. Buds and other online businesses do the same thing.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    EXACTLY WHAT HE MEENS[;)]quote:Originally posted by pistoljim
    The way that I read the email is that they want a c.c. on file to hold the item while they wait for your payment. Sounds reasonable to me. Buds and other online businesses do the same thing.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz

That's what I thought too but for all I know the seller may say to ignore it. No need to open an issue. I just wanted to know if anyone's ever heard of that before.

Our pricing reflects a 3% discount for check or money order payments. No other form of payment qualifies for this discount and the 3% will be added to any amount paid via any other method.
    Please note that if you are mailing a payment inventory cannot be reserved until payment is received. If an item is no longer in stock when your payment is received, your money will be returned to you. Please contact us to reserve inventory with a credit card on file.
    If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You may email us by replying to this message.
    Thanks,

That's cow cookies. Open a support issue and I will toss the seller out the door on his *.
  • 338weatherby338weatherby Member Posts: 427 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pistoljim

I would call them regardless. It does sound like they want a cc to hold it until funds arrive. Still doesn't sound like a fair place to do business with. If they are so worried about not receiving payment via the mail soon enough, then they should state credit card only. If they sell it before the funds get there, you get your refund and leave negative feedback. With this practice it sounds like they should already have a bunch....
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Thanks,

That's cow cookies. Open a support issue and I will toss the seller out the door on his *.
    Can you get a better reply than this? Right on the money CaptFun!
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1

Thanks,

Oh snap, the Capt has spoken [^]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thanks,

Damn, getting where I am not needed here. Don
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    so the only payment method they accept is the one that they get to charge an extra fee for?

thats bs. the good capt is right to toss him out on his *, imnsho.
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seller ad contained:

"Please note that if you are mailing a payment inventory cannot be reserved until payment is received. If an item is no longer in stock when your payment is received, your money will be returned to you. Please contact us to reserve inventory with a credit card on file."

1. Just don't believe this seller should be allowed on any auction site, but he did state his policy in the ad.

2. Bidder should have read the ad before bidding. I think "big mistake" to bid on item.

3. Open an issue.

4. We all live & learn.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears what the seller is trying to say, but won't put it in regular language most of us could understand is he wants your credit card number on file first in case he doesn't receive the check or money order, he can cash your credit card. I still wouldn't do it, but it's not necessarily dishonest.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    Seller ad contained:

"Please note that if you are mailing a payment inventory cannot be reserved until payment is received. If an item is no longer in stock when your payment is received, your money will be returned to you. Please contact us to reserve inventory with a credit card on file."

1. Just don't believe this seller should be allowed on any auction site, but he did state his policy in the ad.

2. Bidder should have read the ad before bidding. I think "big mistake" to bid on item.

3. Open an issue.

4. We all live & learn.

No, the Seller is making a mistake here. He offered a item for auction and if he does not deliver, he is breaking the rules. The powers that be tend to frown on this. It is the same as offering a gun from your store and before the auction is up you sell it in the store first. You have once again broken the rules.
  • booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Seems very simple, the item was bought off an auction, not off a dealer inventory that is up for sell anywhere, when an item is listed, it has to be dedicated for the auction site only. This is what gives GB the integrity it has earned.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would PREFER the credit card over a MO or check. That way if he fails to ship or ships a damaged product to me, I call the credit card company and put a stop payment on him. [:)]
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Like the Capt's Idea [:o)][:D][^]
    Woody
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like if You pay with a Credit Card You could end up buying more than a Gun,Maybe a Stereo or other things.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Handled & settled by CaptFun.

The good CaptnFun instructed the OP experiencing this issue to open a support issue and the Capt would personally SEE to it the seller woould be dealt with.

So, without any further ado, this puppy needs to be shut down before it gets even more convaluted...padlock.gif