In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rust spots on stainless barrel...

Turbo72Turbo72 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Need some suggestions. What is the best way to remove light rust spots on a stainless steel rifle barrel?

Comments

• Options
    steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Brasso or Neverdull work great. Also, you can try some automotive chrome polish or turtle wax. As a LAST resort, you could use 0000 steel wool. All of these have worked well for me.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small spot? Try a pencil eraser.
  • Options
    Daddie_TomDaddie_Tom Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Flitz or Simichrome polish. They both work great..
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Little gun oil and XXXX steel wool.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never use steel wool on a stainless steel anything. This will impregnate the stainless with bits of iron, and make the problem worse. Get yourself some white scotch brite scouring pad or use a piece of burlap with some Kroil on it.

Best
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Comet cleanser rubbed on dry or very fine steel wool. Both rubbed WITH the grain.
    Tom
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Get yourself some white scotch brite scouring pad or ise a piece of burlap with some Kroil,*FLITZ, or *HIGH quality gun oil on it.

* My words inserted. Just find the FINEST texture SBP you can, grocery store should have them, the "soapless" ones...and with the "grain" as someone mentioned.

OR you can get a piece of SMOOTH hardwood, round an edge or two, coat wood and spot in oil and rub...Ive tried that and it worked too, all finishes except Bright SS or nickle, I wouldn't touch a BRIGHT finish as I mentioned; may remove the rust/blem but you WILL dull the spot you rub. If a Bright SS, a proffessional w/a buffing wheel and proper rouge, and I do mean a "master" buffer" or your gun will get screwed up.

After you get the spot cleaned, coat your firearm(s) with FLITZ and polish w/a soft cotten rag...like a good towel. FLITZ polish is amazing stuff...the best Ive found for coating and protecting a gun w/o any "oily" feel.

FLITZ your guns twice a year, no matter the finish, and you can about 100% gaurantee them against rust, and even the most acidic of fingers.

I LOVE to fondle & FLITZ my guns, FLITZ them at every opportunity, nothing like a good FLITZ job to relax and make you feel better...treat 'em right...[^][:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    quote:Get yourself some white scotch brite scouring pad or ise a piece of burlap with some Kroil,*FLITZ, or *HIGH quality gun oil on it.

* My words inserted. Just find the FINEST texture SBP you can, grocery store should have them, the "soapless" ones...and with the "grain" as someone mentioned.

OR you can get a piece of SMOOTH hardwood, round an edge or two, coat wood and spot in oil and rub...Ive tried that and it worked too, all finishes except Bright SS or nickle, I wouldn't touch a BRIGHT finish as I mentioned; may remove the rust/blem but you WILL dull the spot you rub. If a Bright SS, a proffessional w/a buffing wheel and proper rouge, and I do mean a "master" buffer" or your gun will get screwed up.

After you get the spot cleaned, coat your firearm(s) with FLITZ and polish w/a soft cotten rag...like a good towel. FLITZ polish is amazing stuff...the best Ive found for coating and protecting a gun w/o any "oily" feel.

FLITZ your guns twice a year, no matter the finish, and you can about 100% gaurantee them against rust, and even the most acidic of fingers.

I LOVE to fondle & FLITZ my guns, FLITZ them at every opportunity, nothing like a good FLITZ job to relax and make you feel better...treat 'em right...[^][:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Thanks for the tip Colt...I'm going to have to look into this FLTIZ stuff.[8D]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mother's Mag and Chrome polish works great, too. You can get it at Advance Auto parts, NAPA, or anywhere. Oh, and it's endorsed by Chip Foose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is Flitz something i will be able to find at the hardware store or am I going to have to order it?
  • Options
    Daddie_TomDaddie_Tom Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Turbo72
    Is Flitz something i will be able to find at the hardware store or am I going to have to order it?
    It's available at most gunshops. http://www.flitz.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Turbo72 Don't know about a hardware store, heck, even halfway hard to find in some gun shops; and have no idea why, old, well known great product.

Kinda like trying to find Tetra Lube oil/grease...seems that a lot of gun shops don't carry that great product either...may be the "distributor" thing, don't know.

You can order on line from the FLITZ site:
    http://www.flitz-polish.com/?leadsource=PS114&s_kwcid=TC-1331-7976671021-

...or you may find it in some gun shops and other places online too.

Ive only used the PASTE...have not tried the liquid or the "wax". The FLITZ metal polish in paste form doesn't hurt your nice wood either!
    Ive used it for years and swear by the stuff.

When I use it I don't worry about it getting on the wood, just wipe it down and polish along with what's on the metal. I don't coat my stocks w/it, but no big deal when it gets on the wood either, no rushing in panic to get it off as it wont melt the finish or harm the wood...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your tips and suggestions. I ended up trying the pencil earaser first and it worked surprisingly well to remove most of the rust spects. I then used some FLITZ metal polish paste that I found at ace hardware to remove what was left of the rust specs. The gun looks almost new now! Thanks again for everyones input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Good deal! That's why I came here to check if you got the rust off. IF it were me, and I admit to "overkill" at times, now that I have the rust spot "gone"...I would put a dab of heavy grease on it for awile and leave it covered to do your best to deprive it of oxygen & moisture it feeds on, to "kill" it.

The FLITZ coating may be enough to accomplish this though...I KNOW FLITZ is great at preventing rust.

I just noticed this....
    quote:Mother's Mag and Chrome polish works great, too.

Be CAREFUL with the Mothers! IF you use mothers long enough, and rub/polish it enough, on matte SS...you WILL turn the matte SS into a BRIGHT SS; Ive done this several times on purpose to matte SS frames.
    One can take Mothers and there is another chrome polish that comes in a can and is impregnated on what looks similar to cotten; this product too will if used enough will turn matte SS into BRIGHT SS, both products are abrassive, a LOT of rubbing...but it works great.

Neat, cheap trick to know but not good if you use either too much on a matte finish gun...and want to keep a matte SS finish...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif