In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A-Rod Lifetime Ban from Baseball?

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Looks like that's where they are heading...

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig may be preparing to knock A-Rod out of the park. Selig may also just be using the threat of a lifetime ban to force the New York Yankees' third baseman to the bargaining table.

Citing two unnamed sources with knowledge of the negotiations, Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports reported on Wednesday that Selig was prepared to hit Alex Rodriguez with a lifetime suspension as well as suspend eight other players on either Thursday or Friday.

The 38-year-old could avoid a lifetime ban if he were willing to accept a lengthy suspension without appeal, The Associated Press subsequently reported. Citing someone with knowledge of the discussions, Ronald Blum of The AP indicated that MLB arbitrator Fredric Horowitz could also potentially shorten any lifetime ban levied against Rodriguez and that it even remained unclear if Selig would actually issue such a historic punishment.

Any suspension for Rodriguez would cap weeks of media reports indicating that the three-time AL MVP was among the players who would be suspended by MLB for connections to anti-aging clinic Biogenesis. The shuttered clinic in Miami and its founder, Anthony Bosch, are at the center of MLB's latest scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs. In January 2013, the Miami New Times published documents purportedly chronicling the use of performance-enhancing drugs -- including human growth hormone and anabolic steroids -- by several prominent MLB players, including Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon. Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun was the first player disciplined by MLB following its investigation into the clinic and Bosch.

Although Rodriguez's camp initially denied any connection to Biogenesis or Bosch, his name appeared 16 times in the records obtained by the Miami New Times. Shortly after Braun's suspension on July 22, Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reported that "sources familiar with the investigation" said the evidence connecting A-Rod to Biogenesis is "far beyond" what the league had against the Brewers' slugger. Milwaukee had 65 games remaining on its regular-season schedule when Braun was sidelined for the remainder of the 2013 season

more
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/mlb-alex-rodriguez-lifetime-ban-threat_n_3685403.html

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I want to watch a good ballgame, I watch women's collegiate softball.

I do not watch pro sports at my house, unless you count NASCAR.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    He is gonna fight it so as to stay on suspension and still receive payment on his 100mil. till they finally boot him.

*!
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    PS: It's all fake anyway just like wrestling.

[^]

Don't tell Select Fire wrestling is fake.

He still thinks NASCAR is real.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I never liked any "modern" players anyhow.
    I think they should have to eat 10 hot dogs and drink a 12-pack before every game,like the BAMBINO!![8D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    So most NFL linemen can't stand straight after the age of 50.
    Their knees and hips just don't work right anymore.

And MLB pitchers can't use their throwing arm for playing tennis with their grandkids if they were slinging smoke during their playing years.

Just a thought...

Since they have already compromised their health, screw it.

Let 'em juice all they want.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    PS: It's all fake anyway just like wrestling.

[^]

Don't tell Select Fire wrestling is fake.

He still thinks NASCAR is real.
    [:D][:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc McGwire, Home Run King for St. Louis, broke the Roger Maris record.

Lance Armstrong, greatest bicycle rider in history.

Alexander Rodriguez, five years ago was the greatest baseball player in the game.

All of 'em a bunch of cheaters. Took all the dope they could, and lied about it. And lied, and lied and lied.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Alex Rodriguez was a problem case before he even got to the Mariners. He was drafted by Seattle. He had his manager negotiate his contract which consisted of AR spouting off about how he was the greatest player of all time, etc, before he spent one second on a professional ball diamond. So then he plays out his contract until he gets to free agency- playing by doing what was best for him, not the team or anyone else- strictly for his statistics. He was the biggest choker in the history of the club. He had home runs and hits, but they always occurred when it didn't matter. If he came up with runners on and the game on the line he'd either strike out or hit into a double play. After getting rid of him the teams record took a big turn for the better. Then in Texas and for the first several years in New York anyone with a memory will recall his 0-fers in the playoff games. Appears the only thing that changed his ability to choke was when he resumed the PEDs. So as far as Seattle is concerned we Thank God and Delta Airlines that he's gone.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    baseball_3.jpg

[;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    They get paid way too much money to cheat, if they spent their time in the gym, than party in, don't get me wrong, yes go party, but do your job first. I was a catcher, Little league, senior league, high school, and got to play in Europe on the base team, but if you wanted to throw harder, swing the bat better, run faster, you sweat it out, not drugs, and again, as much money as they get paid. I don't know about you, but I can't go to baseball game, or football, ticket prices are increased, because they get paid so damn much. Little kids look up to these sportsmen, they could get better guidance from our men and women in uniform!
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Being a devoted Yankee fan for years I am aware of the fact that "a lot do, some get caught, some don't juice. Arod is washed up anyway you cut it, who cares anymore , move on.