In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Break action revolvers?

Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
These always struck me as sort of neat. Wanted an H&R 999 for a long time but they are crazy high in price for being a relatively low quality piece. I see them selling for $400+ and that's nuts AFAIC.

Picked up this Enfield .38 a couple years ago at a local show. These also sell for too much ($300+) but this one looked good and was tagged at $100. Seller said the action was frozen and the gun wouldn't function. When I got it home I flushed out the congealed grease by pouring solvent through the action and it worked fine. I load .357 bullets which are a bit undersized but they seem to shoot sell at 25 yards.

standard.jpg

Comments

• dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I been looking for a deal on a H&R sportsman myself...[8D]
    This is a friend of mines:
    HPIM3193.jpg
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon, like most of your stuff, that's a nice one. I had a buddy who bought one of those mail order from one of those places that used to advertise on the back of the American Rifleman. I didn't get one and have regretted it ever since.

I don't really know how much I paid for my H&R 999. The tag on it said $119 in 1979. I traded a Remington Model 10 12 gauge and a HAWES Model 644 .44 SA revolver for the H&R 999 and a RUGER Mark I .22LR. I still have the H&R 999 but I traded the RUGER for a Remingtn 1903A3.

I liked to trade guns in the old days. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    My first issue was a Webley .38 cal break action.

Worked just fine shooting rats at the dump on the midnight shift...[:D]

Ron
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG you made me laugh. My Uncle gave me a chrome plated DA only 38 S&W cal. Iver Johnson to carry with me to Nam in 1965. And, a box of ammo. Suffice to say, I had the only one like it. It was functionable and I did carry it. Still have it. He was an M.P. in Berlin, 1948,49, I admired him immensely, Eddie
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a few of the topbreaks. Actually a pretty quick reload compared to a single action!
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    I wonder if they make one in .44 magnum or if there is anyone that makes Aftermarket revolvers like this cause I would LOVE to have one in .44 magnum.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HR.jpg

There's a couple top breaks in this pic, my H&R .22's
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32jpg.jpg
    This is the only topbreak I have. Was given to me by a late aunt whose husband carried it at the gas station he worked at in Watts, CA in the 1950's. It's an Eastern Arms in .32 S&W. I've never shot it because it has a broken trigger return spring and I don't know a gunsmith who would even attempt to work on a gun like this.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon I have one exactly the same as yours.The reason it has a bobbed hammer is because it was supplied to tank crews.They cut the spur of the hammer off so that it wouldnt get caught up when in the confines of a tank.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I absolutely disagree that the H&R 999 Sportsman is a "relatively low quality piece".
    IMO, and obviously that of many others, it's one of the best .22 revolvers ever made.
    Don't get fooled into comparisons of other H&R pistols to the 999. I have myself found some H&R pistols to be of questionable quality. But the 999 was their top of the line. And was of very good quality.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    I absolutely disagree that the H&R 999 Sportsman is a "relatively low quality piece".
    IMO, and obviously that of many others, it's one of the best .22 revolvers ever made.
    Don't get fooled into comparisons of other H&R pistols to the 999. I have myself found some H&R pistols to be of questionable quality. But the 999 was their top of the line. And was of very good quality.

While we're being disagreeable, I disagree that H&R pistols in general are poor quality. Some of them are poorly designed, or ugly, or in a useless caliber, or a pain in the * to load, but all I have had or seen were good quality.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

While we're being disagreeable, I disagree that H&R pistols in general are poor quality. Some of them are poorly designed, or ugly, or in a useless caliber, or a pain in the * to load, but all I have had or seen were good quality.

Yep,
    Had a 999 and sold it when I needed some money but it was a great quality revolver. Accurate and fun as well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

I didn't or wouldn't imply that H&R pistols were in geneal of low quality. But I have encountered several that were. IMO they hit a low point in QC somewhere in the 1980's/90's. I came across a few of the solid frame .22 revolvers that were poorly timed and shaved lead.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own a single break down revolver but have always loved them. I would love to have a 38 special or a 357 magnum in a top break. Yes I know a 357 is a little much for a top break but I can dream can't I. [:)]
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets be realistic. The entire H&R line was mediocre at best in terms of genuine quality. Hold the 999 up to a K22 or a Colt Officers Model and the difference in the metal parts, the fit, and finish become quite apparent.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    Lets be realistic. The entire H&R line was mediocre at best in terms of genuine quality. Hold the 999 up to a K22 or a Colt Officers Model and the difference in the metal parts, the fit, and finish become quite apparent.

Not to be offensive, but IMO that would be realistic in gun snobbish kind of sense. What else would you expect in comparisons of a gun vs. a another that costs 2 to 3 X more? It's like comparing a Chevy to a Rolls Royce.
    H&R was always principly a MFG of field grade guns at afforable prices. But a good condition 999 is certainly a quality pistol that could give even the S&W's and Colts a run for their money on the target range.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, not sure what we are arguing about since you stated exactly my point. When the H&Rs sold for 1/2 of the price of a S&W they were a good buy. Now that they rival the higher grade guns in price I can't bring myself to buy one.

Most 22 caliber guns shoot very well regardless of price.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mango- 4th gun down- 22 Special?
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Grandfather's gun

100_1368.jpg
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day Detonics (while still in Washington Stat) was working on a break top .44 Mag. with a full lug. I would love to get me that[:D].
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    Well, not sure what we are arguing about since you stated exactly my point. When the H&Rs sold for 1/2 of the price of a S&W they were a good buy. Now that they rival the higher grade guns in price I can't bring myself to buy one.

Most 22 caliber guns shoot very well regardless of price.

I understand your point. I wouldn't fork over $400. for a 999 either. And I wouldn't pay $300.+ for a Single Six. Or $250. for High Standard Sentinel.
    Partially because I remember when they went for $100.
    It's like concert tickets. I saw everyone who was big the 1970's for less than $10. When tickets topped $25. in the '90's I quit going. I wouldn't pay more than $25. a head to go to a concert unless it was SRV come back from the dead for one show only. It's not worth it to ME.
    I think the values of handguns, and possibly in particular .22 caliber handguns is overly inflated right now. I've noticed that they are getting hard to find. And when found are bringing IMO over value prices. Last summer Heritge SA .22 were $150. at gun shows. Last show I went to (Wannanmacher) they were $250.
    I think alot of it due to the Obama gun/ammo buying binge. While .22 handgus aren't the best SD weapons, they are popular because ammo is still relatively cheap.
    Last I priced H&R 999's (maybe a year back) they were running $250. for a nice one. And I think some of that was due to increasing collector interest. If they are $400. now, I'd pass as well. Even tho I think they are a quality pistol.