In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Heritage Rough Rider

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I pick one up for 100.00 never been shot from a guy that just got laid off I know nothing about these revolvers it does come with both cylinder 22lr and magnum was just wondering if they are decent revolvers

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well worth the 100.00 asking price.
    I believe they retail close to 200.00 for the dual cylinder 22 now.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one off of GB for my nephews a couple of years back. Pretty good starter .22 single action pistol.

The one I got had a pretty long barrel. The Academy (sporting goods store) had one for 99 bucks on special at around Christmas. They usually have it for like $169 or something like that. I think you got a pretty good deal.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought one 2 weeks ago and havent shot mine yet. Came with both cylinders, and mine was $169, $185 after tax. I think you got a good deal.

I just wish they offered a 9 round .22 cyclinder. I use mine to shoot aguila super quite .22's in the garage on rainy days.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought it yet didn't have a 100.00 avaiable today hopefully he'll have it yet Saturday
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice revolvers and will shoot well and last if cared for. They are not the indestructable bricks like the Rugers but then your not paying the two or three hundred dollars extra.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    they make a great turtle popper [:D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    Nice revolvers and will shoot well and last if cared for. They are not the indestructable bricks like the Rugers but then your not paying the two or three hundred dollars extra.

Kinda pot metal looking, but I had one for a little while, not bad, a .17HMR.

Traded it when the Ruger became available[;)]

IIRc these are one of the few revolvers with a safety on them.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a old ruger 22 made in 1957. I was talking to a gunsmith about getting it blued and putting it up and buying a heritage rough rider he talked junk about it. My friend has one and likes his. I have never shot hisso i can not comment. The gunsmith says that the frames are alloy and not steel. I would buy it for 100 if i was you. In NC they are 180 bucks including tax. If you get it tell us if you like it.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Barrels on the Heritage tend to work loose. Worth the $100, but I wouldn't give more, or expect to shoot a lot with it.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are 2 models, one with a alloy frame and 1 with a steel frame...steel was about $50.00 more IIRC..Mine is a lot of fun...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Basically the same as the old FIE E-15 Buffalo Scouts. Which were Herbert Schmidt's.
    If you take care of it, shold last a long time.
    Does yours have a rear sight, or just groove milled in top strap?
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought mine new a couple years ago, have put god knows how many rounds though it without any problems. I like having the option of switching cylinders to 22 mag, it ain't no beauty queen compared to some on the market but it will get the job done if you take care of it.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Barrels on the Heritage tend to work loose. Worth the $100, but I wouldn't give more, or expect to shoot a lot with it.

Barrels in a lot of pot metal guns work loose eventually, but there is an easy fix. Just drill and pin it like the old S&W's were. If it's pinned already and works loose, go to the next oversize pin.

The Heritage revolvers are functional as long as you don't abuse them.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have a couple but have not seen steel frame yet..like the other similar imports i have had to set barrel back to close up cylinder gap otherwise a good affordable plinker...seems wrong to have to kick out $450+ for a brand name 22 revolver nowadays
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootlow
    they make a great turtle popper [:D]

+1 and the hammer block safety is nice if kids are involved.

AT
  • chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have started all my kids pistol shooting with these. Have had no problems with any of them. Really like the safety for the kids. Have one thats about five yrs old, cant tell you how many rds shot but has to be hundreds and no problems.
  • texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never bought one or shot one for a single reason,distance between barrel and cylinder. My experience says powder flassh both sides of the cylinder However,think about it,$100.00. I can think of one or 2 brands that started off made cheap and now are quality firearms. Hell I used to spend that on a knife to hang on the wall.
  • rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've sold a lot of them, mostly to farmers whom wanted a truck gun to shoot rabbits or varmits, while they were out. Never had anyone come back to me saying they got took on them. I never got around to shooting one myself, and as someone said, they're not a Ruger or H&R, but seem to be good functial guns. I mentioned H&R to go into one I had owned of that make. It was a 929 convertable. It shot great, but with the magnum cylinder in it, the shells seemed to drag going past the loading gate and into the cylinder. Maybe they didn't hone it well enough to fit the .22 mag rounds. I sold it down the road when I had a chance for something I liked better.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I traded one off a few months ago for a shotgun. It was a well made little gun for what it is. As someone said, don't expect Ruger quality with it. $100 you did good.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one and it's fun to shoot. I don't put many 22lr through it because I have another 22lr handgun. It's a good shooting gun with the 22 mag wheel.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Basically the same as the old FIE E-15 Buffalo Scouts. Which were Herbert Schmidt's.
    If you take care of it, shold last a long time.
    Does yours have a rear sight, or just groove milled in top strap?

Just a follow up here. Didn't have time on previous post to go into it.
    I've never owned a Heritage, but I've owned several of this "type" of gun. Very similiar Herbert Schmidts, FIE and Excam revolvers. Some of which I found needed a little modifying to achieve point of aim accuracy at my desired range of approx 25-30 yrds.
    If pistol shot high @ this range, I would replace the front sight w/a ramp type for a Ruger NM Single Six. Barrel OD contour is the same (at least on the old imports).
    Simply pull the blade out of it's slot, and CAREFULLY drill and tap a screw hole for the ramp sight. (or have gunsmith do it). Then (usually) file down top of sight to desired POA range.
    I generally like having a better rear sight than the groove in top-strap type. Especially if gun tended to shoot to right or left of POA. So I would often add one by cutting a doveail in top rear of top strap. And adding a dovetail windage adjustible rear. (Again CAFEFULLY or have gunsmith do it).
    Then you can "fine tune" your pistol sights and POA to whatever your desired range is.
    You can buy both the Ruger front sights, and the dovetail rear @ Numrich Arms. I use the dovetail rears that were standard on some of the FIE models.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heritage pistols are made in the USA...
    http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=50
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say, they are a step above the pot-metal FIE and Excam revolvers guns. I've had those in the past and were not impressed at all with them. They shoot, but that's about it. They are in the class of the RG revolvers. I've never given more than about $50 tops for the FIE and Excam revolvers.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rob223
    I would have to say, they are a step above the pot-metal FIE and Excam revolvers guns. I've had those in the past and were not impressed at all with them. They shoot, but that's about it. They are in the class of the RG revolvers. I've never given more than about $50 tops for the FIE and Excam revolvers.

I disagree. Both the FIE and Excam revolvers were better than the RG revolvers.
    No one is claiming they were top quality. But classing them w/RG is IMO unfair.
    The Heritage revolvers are based on the same Herbert Schmidt design and are merely an American made continueation of the same product.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody I will go get it tomorrow plus it will help the guy keep his eletric on
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Thanks everybody I will go get it tomorrow plus it will help the guy keep his eletric on

IMO you can't go wrong for $100.
    Just treat it like an expensive gun and keep it clean. And you should get many years use from it. These guns are easy to disassemble/reassemble/repair. Basically just a scaled down Colt SA.
    Most of the old imports I've owned, I bought broken and repaired them. And IMO the #1. cause of problems was neglect.
    People considered them a cheap gun and disregarded any attempt at upkeep/maintence. Some of them were so filthy they couldn't function. But worked fine after being cleaned.
    As for accuracy, they aren't any worse than any other fixed sight handgun. You can either learn how it shoots and learn to to shoot it. Or mod it to shoot like you want it to. Just like they did 100 years ago. Have fun.