In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I hate days like this.....busy busy

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,673 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I started the day off with the gas company calling. They were on the way to deliver the tank. (I forgot all about this happening today.) So.....jump out of bed and get to work moving the firewood that is in the way!!!! We bought a gas stove and finally we are getting around to installing it.

After we moved the fire wood pile I came in and loaded the dishwasher and made a pot of coffee....I got my glorious cup of coffee just as the gas company was pulling up. The old stove is pulled out onto the back porch, the new stove is stuck in the hole and lines are ran.....a check is written and all is good.

I get a call from someone that wants to fuss at me about a gun that he bought last week because it didn't come with a factory letter. I tell the guy that he is welcome to get his own factory letter and I will refund his money if it does not letter according to my description.....he is still not happy and I am now frustrated.

The gas company guys leave, new stove in place and I pay them $350. I finally get started doing a little actual work done....taking pictures and I hear men's voices. The gas guys are gone....so who can this be??? I look out and my father in law is walking around my side yard with another guy. Its the septic tank guy that has been saying he is coming to look at our fill line situation.

He sees the spot in my yard that is constantly wet and gives me two options....continue on from that area with added fill lines or replace the existing lines. One option is $1000 and the other is $3000!!!! Guess what option I am going with..... So, he says he can come out Friday if the weather is good, but he wants to pump the septic tank before he starts. That is another $350.

At this point I feel like an abused pet with everything that has been happening this week. I tell him to go ahead and get the tank pumped and plan on coming when he can.

We call in a lunch order and just to get a little "clear my head" break I go pick it up. I get back from picking up lunch to find they got our orders wrong....it was still good so I didn't care. (Supposed to be bbq plates, but we got ribs.) I wondered why it was $42 for three plates???

Then.....I look out where the Camaro is parked and my driveway has spots on it. Yep....leaking power steering fluid. Isn't that great.

I am afraid to touch anything at this point. I think I could kill plants by just walking by them at this point. Tomorrow is another day. At least I am getting all the "bad juju" done and over with for this month all at once. [:D]
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make time fly though doesn't it Kasey?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    At least I am getting all the "bad juju" done and over with for this month all at once. [:D]

Today is the last day of the month! Don
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And to think my day was bad standing around for two and a half hours waiting for a crane to do a 20 min Job.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .....what is it with the septic tank guy wanting to SHOW ME inside my tank???? Can't I just eat my lunch and not ever see that ever ever in my life??? I trust that whatever needed to be done was getting done.....no need to show me......really.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Id trade you easily as ive had too much downtime.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    couple weeks ago i sat with a friend at the coffee club and he left for the farm...30 minutes later he was dead from a machinery accident...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oooooo.....so sorry. I can't think of a worse thing to happen. That is not an easy thing to think about.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started the day off with the gas company calling. They were on the way to deliver the tank. (I forgot all about this happening today.) So.....jump out of bed and get to work moving the firewood that is in the way!!!! We bought a gas stove and finally we are getting around to installing it.

After we moved the fire wood pile I came in and loaded the dishwasher and made a pot of coffee....I got my glorious cup of coffee just as the gas company was pulling up. The old stove is pulled out onto the back porch, the new stove is stuck in the hole and lines are ran.....a check is written and all is good.

I get a call from someone that wants to fuss at me about a gun that he bought last week because it didn't come with a factory letter. I tell the guy that he is welcome to get his own factory letter and I will refund his money if it does not letter according to my description.....he is still not happy and I am now frustrated.

The gas company guys leave, new stove in place and I pay them $350. I finally get started doing a little actual work done....taking pictures and I hear men's voices. The gas guys are gone....so who can this be??? I look out and my father in law is walking around my side yard with another guy. Its the septic tank guy that has been saying he is coming to look at our fill line situation.

He sees the spot in my yard that is constantly wet and gives me two options....continue on from that area with added fill lines or replace the existing lines. One option is $1000 and the other is $3000!!!! Guess what option I am going with..... So, he says he can come out Friday if the weather is good, but he wants to pump the septic tank before he starts. That is another $350.

At this point I feel like an abused pet with everything that has been happening this week. I tell him to go ahead and get the tank pumped and plan on coming when he can.

We call in a lunch order and just to get a little "clear my head" break I go pick it up. I get back from picking up lunch to find they got our orders wrong....it was still good so I didn't care. (Supposed to be bbq plates, but we got ribs.) I wondered why it was $42 for three plates???

Then.....I look out where the Camaro is parked and my driveway has spots on it. Yep....leaking power steering fluid. Isn't that great.

I am afraid to touch anything at this point. I think I could kill plants by just walking by them at this point. Tomorrow is another day. At least I am getting all the "bad juju" done and over with for this month all at once. [:D]

Kasey, does the state of Alabama not require a permit from the health dept.to repair a failing septic system??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not that I know of??? We had the plumber come out that put the system in back when we bought the house. He said my problem wasn't the fill lines, but a running toilet. It isn't a constant thing that is going on....but would go away for several months. If it rained a lot this little patch of grass would stay wet. Its about 3' square. We figure whatever is going on it needs fixing.

WHY does everything I touch cost $1000 or better this week!!!???
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that I know of??? We had the plumber come out that put the system in back when we bought the house. He said my problem wasn't the fill lines, but a running toilet. It isn't a constant thing that is going on....but would go away for several months. If it rained a lot this little patch of grass would stay wet. Its about 3' square. We figure whatever is going on it needs fixing.

WHY does everything I touch cost $1000 or better this week!!!???

Kasey, I have installed septics for 25 years. If the toilet was running all the time, I would repair it (the toilet) and wait for the feild lines to dry up. 75% of septic failures are caused by running toilets. I would also check to see if a permit is required by your state.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FCD...I have no idea what you are talking about. Drama??? This is NOT drama...just a bunch of crazy mess that happened and none of it was expected. I will never understand what makes someone think a hectic day is equal to "drama." Some of you must have pretty boring lives if this is drama.

We dig it....the upstairs bathroom ran a little, but we replaced the flapper and it quit. We thought the patch in the yard was fixed, but it came back after a few rains. Then went away....then came back...then went away.....then came back.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    I've been in, literally, a septic tank(shipboard version) while it was in service(as in not empty).

I've had some pretty repugnant experiences in my life, but I'm pretty sure I'll go to my grave with that at the top of the list. The only benefit was it literally didn't matter what direction you puked in. Didn't even have to bother not puking on myself. I burned the clothes anyway.

That's was just down right nasty. I would spontaneously puke for weeks after at just the thought of it. Told my boss never to even ask me to do it again. If the job ever came up again while I was on duty, to just tell me to clean out my locker and go home and I would understand. It never came to that, but it was clear in no uncertain terms that I was never climbing down into that tank again.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    these are the kinda days that build character,,,[;)][;)][8D][8D]
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/C/CRD-0081/CRD-0081.pdf
    Important: Alabama laws
    Alabama state law requires homeowners to get a permit from the local
    health department before putting in
    a new system or before repairing an
    existing system.
    Alabama state law requires
    septic tank installers and pumpers
    to be licensed by the Alabama Onsite
    Wastewater Board.

Kasey, you might want to check with your guy to see if he is going to get the permit for repair, or if you need to get it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He is a pretty big outfit....I'm sure he is going to do whatever he is supposed to. Larry's father (my FIL) has been dealing with him on everything. I think altogether he is going to be doing work at three of our houses. Larry's father had a problem with things backing up....that got fixed last week. My sister in law had their tank pumped and then you have our ordeal. He was supposed to be back tomorrow, but I don't think he will be....it has been raining all afternoon here and the ground is a mess.