In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,263 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an incredible story. Green Beret lost in 1968 is found alive, living in Vietnam.

It is the Rambo movie come to life.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobby Garwood (Sp?) was in the same boat I believe. When he got noticed by a foreign diplomat they had to send him back home. Since he was not wanted by Uncle Sam they charged him with desertion or something.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is from Birmingham Alabama.....that is just crazy that our own government "did not want him." This makes me so mad.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know several persons that stayed in country on their own will...[:(]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    After all this time? Something's as fishy as English fish and chips.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the guy was f-ed up in the head from the combat and once he escaped from the POW camp he fell in love with his wife and decided to start a new life. Fishy or not it seems a reasonable story to me.
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Perhaps the guy was f-ed up in the head from the combat and once he escaped from the POW camp he fell in love with his wife and decided to start a new life. Fishy or not it seems a reasonable story to me.

I was thinking along those lines as well...
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,263 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the VC were torturing him and knocking him on the head. He could have escaped from that camp, and not been in his right mind, found a nice Vietnamese girl who took care of him and decided to stay.

We had four or five troops in the Korean War who flat out deserted, lived in N. Korea for decades after the war and married Korean commie girls, I mean, this story from Vietnam is not too far fetched.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Well, there's always (at least) two sides to a story.

NS

JOHN HARLEY ROBERTSON THIS GUY POSING AS ROBERTSON HAS BEEN DETERMINED TO BE A FRAUD BY THE FBI. BE AWARE!

"....This info from SGM (R) Billy Waugh, MACVSOG

Sorry that the information concerning John Hartley Robertson (JHR) flying around the net for the past days, has become confusing.

According to persons in the USG, working in Phnom Phen, the Caucasian depicted in the photo has been proven not to be JHR, but to be a French citizen, long time in Cambodia, with a Vietnamese wife, and several children.

Proof was produced by a DNA sample, more than one year back."

http://www.macvsog.cc/john_hartly_rob.htm

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com