In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm not dead!!! Hope to be back soon....

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
My little dreamy wonderful country house has ONE very major drawback....internet is nearly impossible to get in my area. I have tried getting DSL....no way...not gonna happen anytime soon. There is no cable available....and from what I hear, satellite connection is unreliable so I didn't want to go that route. I want to give the cell phone card a chance but I may from Verizon to Cingular....who knows.

I'll be back soon!!!!
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to see a post.

Its wierd, ive never seen you without something for sale!
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Sattelite unreliable? They are pretty reliable! I think that is your best bet!
  • divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a ranch in the middle of central idaho, The only internet I could get was satalite.
    It was spendy to get into, but was just as good as cable or dsl, in terms of speed.
    It is like sat tv though in that in really really bad snow storms it would not work, unless you constantly cleand the dish off, which after about one time is futile, its better to just go sit in the hot tub.

Like the lady says if you got a clear view of the western sky you can get it. And it really is a good sevice.

I dont have it now cause I dont need it, but if I ever did, I would not hesitate to use it again.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:in really really bad snow storms it would not work, unless you constantly cleand the dish off,

Lady at Direct told us to spray PAM cooking spray on our dish and the snow would shed better. Don't know if it works or not. Hasn't snowed enough to find out in the two winters since she told us about it!
    edited November -1
    after thought.
    Maybe sat net gets bad reviews where you are cause you cant get a good signal, if thats the case Id stay clear.
    If you can get good signal, Id definatly consider it. :)
    my property had lots of mtns in the way trees ect, but did have one good west shot that hooked up with the sat link good.
    something to consider
    db
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Sattelite unreliable? They are pretty reliable! I think that is your best bet!
    Trouble w/sat. conn. is the same as sat. tv. A thick cloud and it goes out.Big problem here, in Florida, as we have some of the tallest cloud formations.

Jeff
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went yesterday to swap to dishnetwork for both my TV and internet,,,I was informed that at this time they were not accepting new customers for the internet service,,,who else does dish internet ???
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Go back to work...you have internet there dont you?...[:D]
    edited November -1
    I thinnk hughs net does,

It used to be direcWay which also was direct tv,
    but the split and sold

now I think the only provider is Hughes net. (spelling wrong im sure)
    and maybe more,

thats the only provider i know of here in idaho.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Just get dial up until you can get DSL.
    Or get one of those treo or blackberry phones with internet service.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At work.....IMPOSSIBLE to do anything but what is there to be done. Paperwork, customers, distributors and all....internet would be a cost that isn't worth adding here. I have a friend that has a portable laptop with an internet card that I "borrow" when I can right now.

I MISS THIS PLACE
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Satellite $50 per month, couple hundred to start.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm not dead!!! Hope to be back soon....

Glad to hear it.[:)]
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9.99 month old telephone jack and im in. whats the big deal? it works at its cheap.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Well, LF...We miss you, too. Generally, if you go a day or two without posting, the boys are ready to whistle up the dogs and send out a search party...but new house, school, ect...knew you would be super busy.
    By the way..whilst you were absent..you were nominated for the Gun Brokers Gun Women calender...January...So you are late with your portfolio of pictures...[:D]
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hurry back, we miss having you around.[:(]
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    quote:in really really bad snow storms it would not work, unless you constantly cleand the dish off,

Lady at Direct told us to spray PAM cooking spray on our dish and the snow would shed better. Don't know if it works or not. Hasn't snowed enough to find out in the two winters since she told us about it!

better than pam, use armor all spray! i use it on my ski boots and even the ice that builds up on a long run just pops right off
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:whilst you were absent..you were nominated for the Gun Brokers Gun Women calender...January...So you are late with your portfolio of pictures...

And Jacob requested that your daughter send her portfolio to his house. Said he needed some new "date night" pics. [}:)][:D]
    edited November -1
    I'm up and running again.....decided on the internet cell phone addition to the laptop (again.) After all of the digging into everything and hearing what people deal with in this area there is NO perfect solution to my situation. I do too much on line to just do without at this point and my kids need to be on line for school from time to time also....so the added price is worth it....at least I am telling myself that. I plan to list a pile of penny auctions as a celebratory gesture of sorts. Whooooo-hooooo!!! I just added to my monthly bills!!! Penny auction time![:D]

(What did I miss?)
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I'm up and running again.....decided on the internet cell phone addition to the laptop (again.) After all of the digging into everything and hearing what people deal with in this area there is NO perfect solution to my situation. I do too much on line to just do without at this point and my kids need to be on line for school from time to time also....so the added price is worth it....at least I am telling myself that. I plan to list a pile of penny auctions as a celebratory gesture of sorts. Whooooo-hooooo!!! I just added to my monthly bills!!! Penny auction time![:D]

(What did I miss?)

Me getting into a huge fight.

Again.

[:)]

Lots of stuff! Email me! WE ALL MISS YOU!
    edited November -1
    I was suprised to have more "bars" on my laptop than my cellphone. I typically have only one bar on the phone and that is one reason I put this decision off so long.....the computer has better reception than my phone (thank you for that little break.....now I will probobly have the charger chewed up by my dog or something for having that little bit of good karma.)