In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

don't know what to think

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I found out a week ago that my next door neighbor was in a bike wreck and broke his R leg and ankle.
Had been noticing that he hadn't mowed in my last three mows and now I know why.

Now understand, we are not exactly good neighbors, we have had our differences in the last 18 years. However, we do occasionally nod or wave at each other.

Had a carport to get welded, and he is a welder, so I gave him first stab at it. Only because old Mr. Standley down the road said it would be the neighborly thing to do. He declined saying he was retired from that sort of thing. So be it.

While out front mowing by the mailboxs, I decided I would mow his front easement, not much , but the mail man drives through there. Looks much better now.
That didn't take 5 minutes, but his wife came by to get the mail. I told her To keep him in and I would mow his front yard, because I was not sure how he might react, but just thought I would try to help out.
Well, I made about three laps and she came out and said he didn't want me mowing. Ok, was all I said and went back to my place a little steamed.
I got over that and now just wonder what clicks in this guys mind.

Now I read the post by" helicopter pilot" and figure I should have just stayed on my side of the fence.

Never again. (not for this clown)

Comments

• PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what ever happened to neighbors helping neighbors[V]
    You can mow my front yard if you want.... it will make you feel better.[:D]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's always good to make the first attempt to establish a rapport or relationship. Sometimes even a second attempt, but if you are rebluffed by a person, go about your business and make no further attempt.
    Some people are just no damn good and you shouldn't let that bring you down. Piss on 'em.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    I am not saying to be a butt head, but a late night chemical mow with Roundup could be in order.
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye

just wonder what clicks in this guys mind.

Prolly just "clunks".
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I have met a couple like this man .
    Do not want to be indebted to anyone .
    just leave them be .
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let this stop you from befriending and trying to help other people who appear to need help! However, no use wasting time on that neighbor!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    maybe it's your hot pants and tube top he doesn't like.[;)]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I refuse to live in fear of others. Sure the are bad people, there always has been, but there are more good ones..
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a tough one...some people just can't accept help. You tried to be helpful good on you. His loss....
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like others have said,....some don't want any help at all, and some are just pricks.

He might be one of the types where it insults his "manhood" per se, and he might not have liked you talking to his wife about it, and not him.

Heck,.....you got me, as I would be happy to have someone do that in the same situation, and I would repay it later. My neighbor and I seem to rotate on cutting by the road in the back of the 2 properties.

I will do theirs, and then when I go to cut again, my section is done.

Leave the curmudgeon alone would be my suggestion.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I mow my neighbor's yard every week, pull his trash down for him, have gotten up in the middle of the night to drive his wife to the ER while he was in an abulance in front of us. Butch is a good old boy, he watches my house while I'm at work, and my kids after school til I get home. He was a Jaguar mechanic til a car fell on him and crushed his legs. Great neighbor couldn't ask for a better one.

Guy on the other side is a rick with a CAPITOL P. When he wouldn't trim the scrub trees from growing through my fence, I didn't feel guilty about a little dose of Round-up mixed with Crabgrass killer. When he sent his 6'9" son-in-law over to complain about the fact that all his grass and a tree were dying in his yard. I laughed and said they wouldn't have if he wasn't such a .......... guy cut me short and said........yep an Ahole

Takes all kinds I guess Hawk, but you where trying to do right that's all that counts.

just my 2 cents

b
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are the good guy. He lives in the misery he deserves.... If you lived near me I wouldn't be mad if you mowed MY grass! Are you anywhere near Remlap Alabama? (Dangit I just mowed too...)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com