In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BOYS!!! Ugh! Teenagers!!! DAD BURN IT!!!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
My son works as a lifeguard.....his two off days are Tuesdays and Thursdays. So on Tuesday he went off with one of his buddies. I didn't hear anything from him so I thought he was going to spend the night. Then....at 1:30 in the morning he shows up with one of his buddies. The buddy drops him off.

"Where is your Jeep son???"

He tells me it is messing up and will not go over 10 miles an hour for some reason. (Before anyone asks....no, they were not drinking or anything, he was perfectly fine when he got home.)

I wake him up early the next morning and tell him to drive me and his father to where the Jeep is. We drive up and down several roads and look for it, but he cannot quite remember where the house is. He says because it was dark when they went there. He also does NOT have this boys phone number. So.....there ya go. Two pissed parents riding around in a Traverse chewing out a teenage boy first thing this morning is how I started off my day.

I take him to work and drop him off. I tell him to figure out where his Jeep is, get the boys number and figure out how to get home....because I wasn't coming back to get him from work.

I had my daughter's 72 Super Beetle in the shop to get a new ignition put in. Being that we were going to be one car short for a while I thought I would go ahead and pick that up. So, after dropping him off at work I get Larry to take me down to where this bug is. Driving a convertible bug around sounds fun, but it can be a little nerve racking.....so, now I am sun burned a little, hot and sticky from driving that thing home!!!

I get here just in time to see the post lady drop off our mail and leave without my packages (today is shipping day.) I take our boxes to the Locust Fork post office where this little moron runs things. He finds a problem with a box EVERY DANG TIME I have to take them there. Being in the RARE FORM that I'm in.....I tell the guy that he is the ONE AND ONLY PERSON that ever has any problems with any of my boxes. (Making a flat rate label and not using the ACTUAL flat rate box or some such nonsense.) I go on to tell him that he has NEVER in my entire time of dealing with them found that I have paid too much....which I sure I have....but he failed to pass along that precious bit of intel. He starts pounding my boxes on the counter and gets really FRUSTRATED, voice is cracking and says "I'm just doing my job!"

I take my two problem boxes and tell him that I will drive over to another post office where they will just take the dang box....which is exactly what happened.

I get home with Capt D's seafood for everyone. Because you know fried food is the answer to all misery.

Finally....I call it quits and go get a shower. While I'm in the shower I hear Liam yelling that his friend is here to pick him up. I yell back....who....this is when I hear another voice...."Its me Mrs McKay." So....this means two boys are yelling at me while I am in the shower. UGH!!!!

I get out and get dressed so I can follow this boy to see my son's Jeep.

IT IS COVERED IN MUD!!!! Top to bottom.....covered.

I call a tow truck...the one that has saved my entire family several times....and I visit with this boy's family. I am dressed in a black Gun Broker sweatshirt, bright red swirly pajama pants that go a little passed my knees and BRIGHT orange crocs (nasty looking huge shoes) with a giant towel on my head.

The tow truck gets there and gets the jeep.

In talking to the boy's family I figure out that the boy's actually pulled my son's jeep PASSED our house to get it to where it was. What the heck??? My son was thinking that he would just pull it there and "wish" things better....like some fairy god-mother would swoop down and fix everything. Yeah....right.

So....that was my day in a nutshell.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LF I hate to break the news to you, but a high school boy who cannot remember where he left his Jeep was drunk, or stoned.
    Most high school kids play around with booze, pot, and/or pills, and they work overtime to conceal this from their parents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    LF I hate to break the news to you, but a high school boy who cannot remember where he left his Jeep was drunk, or stoned.
    Most high school kids play around with booze, pot, and/or pills, and they work overtime to conceal this from their parents.

No....he knew darn well and good right where it was. He was just not willing to face the music this morning with both of his parents. Nooooo....what he would rather do was try to plan things out all day to see if he could fix this, then when he couldn't he waited until he had his buddy there and all of his family to keep me from really chewing him out when I saw that mud covered monstrosity.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know what they say. Your children are there to punish you for all the fun you had when you were their age. Enjoy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    <sigh> It's everyone else's fault.

...once again.

[?][?][?]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You put up with it,so live with it...If I had done what your son did....I would still be trying to get up off the floor...Shucks, Kasy,he was just "Fun Muddin"....water always kills vehicles...He'll get over it...as long as you pay the bill.. LOL![:D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    So....that was my day in a nutshell.

That, is one damn big nutshell.

[:D]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Jeep was covered in mud? Nice to hear about one in it's natural habitat.[:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a teeneager the muddin (4 wheelin) would not have gotten me in near as much trouble as the lying and sneaking would have.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    being a parent can be interesting. and all the stories your getting practice to write that book some day [:D]
    my youngest son has destroyed or broken so many trucks and cars I have lost count . when he was younger I guess I looked on it a quality time together putting them back together , now he does all his own repairs. cant say much as when I was a kid I did my share
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:.. messing up and will not go over 10 miles an hour for some reason..

If it's more like 25 and the engine will not rev over 2000 rpm. The Jeep most likely went into what is known as "limp mode". It does that when it has something wrong with it that could cause major damage if ran normally.

Things to check first.

Battery... Make sure that it is fully charged and putting out 12 to 14 volts and holding a charge.

Transfer Case. Check to see if he maybe left it in 4-LO.

Transmission... If it has an automatic. Check the fluid level with the engine idling and transmission in park. If the fluid level is ok. Try it again (edit: try driving it). If no change in its operation. Have someone pull the pan and check closely for metal shavings.

The next step he needs to be very honest with you. Ask him if he added transmission fluid lately. If Yes ask him what kind he put in it.Most newer (1990 and up) Jeeps use ATF+4 transmission fluid and using the wrong fluid can damage the transmission. If some was added and the type is unknown. Have the filter changed and the transmission flushed.

Cam Sensor. The timing chain can stretch to a point where the computer can not correct it to keep the engine in perfect timing. Someone can Reindex the camshaft position sensor if they have some knowledge of how the sensor works and is indexed from the factory. I will not go into details. But it involves using a small drill bit or other such piece of round hard metal (about tooth pick size) to align the hole in the oil pump drive shaft the small hole on the magnet inside that indicates camshaft position then turning the housing on the camshaft synchronizer until you can align those two holes and insert the drill bit or the round object that chose to use.

Bet their will be a ton of people researching the subject on Reindexing the camshaft position sensor on a Jeep now..[:D]

Did it many times and it is far cheaper than replacing the sensor. And more fun if you like to tinker with Jeeps like I do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh....he got his first paycheck today....so he gets to pay the tow truck and whatever repairs come of this. I bet this makes him change how he treats his Jeep from now on.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,062 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    The Jeep was covered in mud? Nice to hear about one in it's natural habitat.[:D]
    Heck yes,thats what they are made for,,[;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't count on it my youngest son made friends with several towing services and helps them . also made friends with local and state leo in our area . I heard on the scanner one night , report of some one showing off to say it mildly , came back over a few minutes later from the LEO its Ok its just Kyle[:(!]

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Oh....he got his first paycheck today....so he gets to pay the tow truck and whatever repairs come of this. I bet this makes him change how he treats his Jeep from now on.
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    As a teeneager the muddin (4 wheelin) would not have gotten me in near as much trouble as the lying and sneaking would have.

I'd of been a little proud of the muddin. He would of been paying for the tow for sure, for wasting my time and money. [:D]
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    If the most he did was lie to you about mudding trying not to get in trouble for it your doing something right. Could be doing alot worse at that age.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    P O O R ... L I T T L E ... F E L L A R...........He has such a rough life ... Be good to Liam..Tell him everything is gonna be OK..[^]

ps..l have visited Locust Fork Post Office..A fine example of rural Alabama architecture ..[8D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

Exactly what I was thinking...LMAO going to give a teenager, in the south, a Jeep and not expect him to go rootin'..good luck with that!! Sound slike he should drive the convertible bug!!! [8D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell when i was a teenager I had a Buick Century Station wagon and I took that poor car off roading!!! I beat the hell out of that car doing stupid, reckless crap!! My Dad had a new Cherokee, I got in trouble after he took it in for service and the mechanic had to empty mud and water out of the rear differential!! [:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey, this is to funny. I had posted it before but when chris was 17 I bought him a new expedition to go to college I told him not to take it off the road. We live in the pine barrens. That lasted two months before he sank it up to the roof in water and destroyed the motor. cost me five grand to replace the motor. I never yelled, just told him I was disappointed. That killed him. He paid me part of the money back. What I never told him was, I took the money out of his bank account from all the money he received since he was a kid that we had been saving. He never did anything like that again. Just remember, we were kids once and a jeep is made to go off road. Just be glad he is not smoking pot and drinking. Things could be a lot worse.[;)]
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    P O O R ... L I T T L E ... F E L L A R...........He has such a rough life ... Be good to Liam..Tell him everything is gonna be OK..[^]

ps..l have visited Locust Fork Post Office..A fine example of rural Alabama architecture ..[8D]

An impressive edifice to be sure:
    http://goo.gl/maps/Ff5IT

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any young man with a Jeep will test it's limitations, thus testing the parents too.

Hopefully he has learned something, especially since it hit his paycheck.

Buy him a Prius, he'll test the gas mileage and run out of gas somewhere in the boonies.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup, could be worse. IF he starts humming this tune when he thinks nbody's looking, hide the Jeep keys quick!

meat-loaf-paradise-25.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

That my dear lady will catch his attention. Taking his ENTIRE pay check to pay for the tow and repairs when it could have been brought home instead will hit him with the "stupid tax" way of learning.

Punish him for the DECEPTION, not the mudding.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    just stay in denial....it'll be ok if you do that
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    just stay in denial....it'll be ok if you do that

yup...
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe the jeep is in low range.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah my strong coffee and lack of clean facility story ain't got nothing on youse. Kind a shocked you haven't made the news by going postal. At home and the post office. I reckon you're going for sainthood [:D].
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your rose colored glasses off. If you lie once, you will lie twice. The fact you believe everything he says is to his advantage. Also, I really doubt you made him pay for ant of the cost. It is not in your history. Don
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Chris..Locust Fork P0 is made of sheet masonite siding that is a faded light blue...The 0fficial Post 0ffice vehicle an old white Jeep Cherokee..Two butt kits adorn the entrance...0ne spitter also...[;)]
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    to be honest, the young man, Liam, sounds a lot more grounded than most of us at that age. Its a tight rope between support for his minor escapades and really strong boundries. Seems like she is doing just fine, IMHO
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Chris..Locust Fork P0 is made of sheet masonite siding that is a faded light blue...The 0fficial Post 0ffice vehicle an old white Jeep Cherokee..Two butt kits adorn the entrance...0ne spitter also...[;)]

JEEP CHEROKEE!!

Dang they are way ahead of our local postal package get around ride.

It only has one seat.. But it does have a neat little bungy corded milk crate beside the driver keep the mail of all 8 residents from falling through that hole in the floor board.

728851316_a4028b2f85.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has been a long LONG day....we are getting ready to move my parents. They have been in that same house for over 30 years....downsizing. I went through my father's "play room" today. I swear....I have never seen that many cleaning rods and such!!!

We will not hear what is going on with the Jeep until Monday. Phillip said he thought it was most likely something simple. They actually drove it up onto the wrecker.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not taking the kids side, but I won't say I hadn't been there with my 62 CJ5 with my dad when I was a kid.

He bought the jeep, I bought the parts and we got it running together the summer between my sopsamere and junior year. I was working at a body shop which really helped the project.

Litterally the very first night I had it out after dark my jeep was covreed in mud and stuck in a ditch.

This was pre-cell phones so a late night walk through the Oregon country side was required in order to face the music.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dam cell phone one refuses to spell s-o-p-h-o-m-o-r-e correctly.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Can I come back in my next life as your kid?
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    and you'll probably find out the mud/water got up in the air intake or exhaust and has clogged the air flow at one end or the other.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    he must make a ton of money Lifeguarding...my guess is his check (unless its a months worth) aint gonna cover a tow and repair bill....But guess whos will..

this is funny too.......He tells me it is messing up and will not go over 10 miles an hour for some reason
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    My dam cell phone one refuses to spell s-o-p-h-o-m-o-r-e correctly.

It's the GB Auto Censor at play. There's a word in the middle of s-o-p-h-o-m-o-r-e it doesn't like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We will know tomorrow what shocking lesson the boy will learn. He is everyone's best friend right now. I had boys over here all weekend. Several lifeguards left out this morning. It might cost less to fix the car than to feed the boys he has staying over here to give him rides everywhere!!! [:D]