In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Finally drew a moose tag.

winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I am lucky enough to finally draw one of these tags here in Colorado. I never have hunted Shiras moose.....who makes a good call or what kind of call works the best to call these critters in during the rut?

Comments

• footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Winch- What you gonna shoot Bullwinkle with
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck! Sounds like a lot of fun![8D]

Jon
  • winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be using my .50 Cal. T/C Hawkins. I can't wait! Anyone call these critters in during rut? What kind of call?
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Winch- Some guy on the forum sold his on GB awile back. A real top gun. Twas an early gun. Great wood. Almost bought it. TC s [:D][:D]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a call for you.

https://shop.primos.com/pc-569-24-moose-horn-pak.aspx

Another thing you can try is watching as many moose hunting videos as you could find. Jim Shockey has good ones.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Congrats, Winch!! There sure are a lot of moose now in northern CO and southern WY. Huntin' muleys in WY along the CO border last fall, Dad and I had a young paddle bull walk right through camp and had another nice, mature bull walk by us while hunting along a sagebrush/forest interface.

The most effective call I've used is no call at all. Watchin' guys on the Outdoor Channel hunting moose in Alaska and the Yukon, many use their own nasally mouth tones - sometimes with a simple cone-shaped tube to amplify the tone.

Two Falls ago Dad and I spotted a nice bull north of Walden, CO, walking across open, sagebrush cattle pasture about a quarter mile away. I just cupped my hands and used a nasally moaning tone like the guys on TV, using my hands to help make the tone waver like a guy playing a harmonica. This bull stopped, looked, and then started walking away. I then interspersed the call with my forearms bent upward and head down - looking like bull antlers swaying from side to side. Bull moose not having good vision, he bought it and started towards our truck off the main paved road. Pretty soon I had him jogging wild-eyed towards us across the pasture, splashing through a willow-lined creek, and heading up the hill toward the fenceline and our truck. A Coloradan driving by on the way to Walden from Laramie pulled over, getting his camera out in disbelief. He said to Dad, "Is he calling that moose in?!" Dad said, "Yeah, that's my son. He can call anything in." One of the proudest moments of my life, to call in the first moose Dad's seen - and a wallhanger to boot - to a mere 15 yards in front of us before I shooed him off to avoid damage.

Wish I could tape the tones for you. It works damned well.
    Good luck, you lucky SOB!! I'm envious. [:p]
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    What area did you draw? I might be able to head you in the right direction if it's in our area....Bull
  • winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bull300wsm-Sent you a PM![:D]
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    You don't need a call. Just find some cows and keep an eye on them.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I've seen guys call them with their mouth, thru a rolled-up birch-bark megaphone. They come in like their on a string most times. Also do a lot of banging rubbing in trees and bushes, the noisier the better, by the look of it![;)]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkw_WCpplOw