In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Next door neighbors A/C went out,

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited May 2008 in General Discussion
the compressor locked-up, and it's 97F out. She's old and won't even open all her windows, because she would need a 6" step-stool to reach them.I took her all my floor fans, and offered to open all her windows, and put them back shut, if it rained.NOPE. I have a 12,000 BTU window-unit in my shed, that works perf. She only has 2 possible windows i could put it in,one has an awning down over it and she has her computer desk in front of the other.She REFUSES to move the desk 8 stinkin INCHES! If it were you, would you move your desk a foot in order to have someone GIVE YOU AN A?C,AND INSTALL IT? FREE!!!
Personally, i would throw my desk out on the GROUND, to have A/C!!
She wants to buy a "PORTABLE A/C. she won't listen/understand that it will need to be vented/drained outside too!!

I guess a body just can't help some one who won't help them selves...[V] I've tried all i know how...

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Sometimes with age, the wisdom doesn't show through as much as the bullheadedness.

You tried, you did your good deed fish.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I commend you for trying, but some things just can't be forced!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Nice try, man.

I'd hate to see her suffer from the heat, but she doesn't seem to want to listen.
    Do you know any of her kids or grandkids that can tlk some sense into her?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell her to get someone to go to Grainger or some such place, and get an SPP-6, or any brand of "hard start" kit.
    Place the two wires across the run capacitor, and it has at least a 50% chance of unlocking.
    Capacitor could also be bad, or a terminal burnt off of the compressor at the ceramic.
    Most locked compressors are locked for a reason.
    But sounds like she doesn't want help anyway!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tell her it doesnt need to be moved. ask her to get you something to drink, throw her desk over 8 inches really fast, throw the AC in and whats she gonna do, pull the desk back over and throw the AC out the window?

Kinda in a hard spot, but you dont want her to die from the heat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    Nice try, man.

I'd hate to see her suffer from the heat, but she doesn't seem to want to listen.

Yes Andy, i know her sister.(somewhat younger, and a very nice lady, not that my neighbor isn't.)She lives in Maine, where their family is from, and lives here in the winter. RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO HER SIS.I asked my neighbor to call her sis and see if it'd be ok for her to stay in her home until the AC thing gets figgered-out.She told my wife that Doris's AC is on the "fritz" too. I offered to troubleshoot/ repair it, if i could, and was told NO to that too...It's not gonna be easy, but i guess i just need to forget about it.
    OH, and get this,,, Her sister has offered to have her come live in Maine in summer, and live w/her, here in winter!! She could sell, and they could live together all year. My neighbor says she CAN'T. BECAUSE OF THE 2 CATS!!!!! OMG! She is letting 2 cats stand in the way of her having a LIFE!!!!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Nice try, man.

Yes Andy, i know her sister.(somewhat younger, and a very nice lady, not that my neighbor isn't.)She lives in Maine, where their family is from, and lives here in the winter. RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO HER SIS.I asked my neighbor to call her sis and see if it'd be ok for her to stay in her home until the AC thing gets figgered-out.She told my wife that Doris's AC is on the "fritz" too. I offered to troubleshoot/ repair it, if i could, and was told NO to that too...It's not gonna be easy, but i guess i just need to forget about it.
    OH, and get this,,, Her sister has offered to have her come live in Maine in summer, and live w/her, here in winter!! She could sell, and they could live together all year. My neighbor says she CAN'T. BECAUSE OF THE 2 CATS!!!!! OMG! She is letting 2 cats stand in the way of her having a LIFE!!!!

That explains her recalcitrance.[8D]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Nice try, man.

Daggone, man.
    I guess you could just keep checking on her...

I'm just hoping you don't have to post a "I tried to tell her" thread.

Good Luck.

***EDIT***
    It just came to me!
    Appeal to her love of her cats. Let her know how much they're suffering in their little fur coats.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Hell, she grew up when there weren't any of those new fangled air coolers!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff,......how old is this woman?
    Also does she have health problems that you know of?

Not your deal man,......but I would feel bad if she dies in there.
    If you suspect she is not right, I would call the police, not 911, and tell them about the situation.
    They may send an officer out for a "check-up" call, and try and convince her to take your offer, or to go to a motel or something.

It is about 90 up here right now bud![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

If you suspect she is not right, I would call the police, not 911, and tell them about the situation.
    They may send an officer out for a "check-up" call, and try and convince her to take your offer, or to go to a motel or something.

She has a bad Diabetes deal. She takes shots of insulin several times a day, and is very unsteady, because of edema (swelling) in her feet/legs.My wife is off doing chores for her mom,(moving 2 loads of wood flooring)i didn't go because her moms BF had to go too, and it's a small truck.That a-hole went and bought a PT Cruiser, and refuses to use it as a truck, because my wife has a Ranger.
    ANYHOW. I'm gonna get Deb to go over there when she gets home, and try to get her to move some stuff around, so i can get that windo-shaker in there.
    If not. i have no idea what to do. Callin the PBSO i'm afrade, would get me more hated than her situation remedied.
    WHAT TO DO[?][?][?]
    BTW; It was 90F here at 0830, it's 97 in the shade at 1340.[xx(]But it looks like rain, may cool it off a bit, but the humidity will SKY-ROCKET to 98%!
  • Options
    edited November -1

She has a bad Diabetes deal. She takes shots of insulin several times a day, and is very unsteady, because of edema (swelling) in her feet/legs.My wife is off doing chores for her mom,(moving 2 loads of wood flooring)i didn't go because her moms BF had to go too, and it's a small truck.That a-hole went and bought a PT Cruiser, and refuses to use it as a truck, because my wife has a Ranger.
    ANYHOW. I'm gonna get Deb to go over there when she gets home, and try to get her to move some stuff around, so i can get that windo-shaker in there.
    If not. i have no idea what to do. Callin the PBSO i'm afrade, would get me more hated than her situation remedied.
    WHAT TO DO[?][?][?]

It's tough when someone seems to not want help,......but sometimes when they reach a certain age, the brain ain't firing correctly.
    I would do the thing with your wife,.......maybe another female that knows about her problems can talk some sense into her.
    I wouldn't know what else to do either? It's not like it is your mother or something, where you would just say too bad,.....I am doing this.
    You have tried to be a good guy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    call the health department or whatever

they will tell her she needs to take your offer or get out
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

State HD's are not open on the weekend to my knowledge.
    He also does not want to cross a certain line which I can understand.
    Jeffs wife may be able to straighten her out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

State HD's are not open on the weekend to my knowledge.
    He also does not want to cross a certain line which I can understand.
    Jeffs wife may be able to straighten her out.
    If Deb can get her to move that damn desk, it'll be a done deal.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:call the health department or whatever

That health department must be from Texas if they tell someone to "get out" if their a/c isn't working! As someone said, she was raised and lived most of her life WITHOUT any a/c. Face it...we are soft. We * and moan when ours goes out, but folks used to live without it period. I wouldn't want to see anything happen to the lady, but it's her life. You can't make her take something she doesn't want.
  • Options
    steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Put a fan in her fridge freezer and sit her * down in a chair in front of it. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NO-DICE... I guess she's gonna just have to go without.
    I know i did my best to help-out, whatever happens now, nobody can say i didn't try to help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    quote:call the health department or whatever

That health department must be from Texas if they tell someone to "get out" if their a/c isn't working! As someone said, she was raised and lived most of her life WITHOUT any a/c. Face it...we are soft. We * and moan when ours goes out, but folks used to live without it period. I wouldn't want to see anything happen to the lady, but it's her life. You can't make her take something she doesn't want.

Sorry, not my problem. They do
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NO-DICE... I guess she's gonna just have to go without.
    I know i did my best to help-out, whatever happens now, nobody can say i didn't try to help.

You tried,....nothing else you can do.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can lead a fish to water, but good luck trying to make the horse swim...or something.

You tried.
    She's exercising her prerogative.
    Let her know you're available if she decides she wants help (assuming you're still willing to provide it) and move on.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    You are to be commended for your efforts to help her. However it is impossible to get the elderly to change their minds. They get set in their ways and simply refuse to change anything that is familiar.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people just want to be left alone. You did your good deed.

Generally when somebody lets me know they don't want to be bothered, I don't bother them.

Your heart is in the right place but I don't think there is anything else you can do.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1