In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Your home town and it's name

2»

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Day, Oregon.
    Named after a paid hunter for the Astor expedition.
    Still only one stoplight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Day_(trapper)
    http://gesswhoto.com/theman.html
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kulpmont, PA, A hard coal town where just about everyone worked in the mines.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Rose Hill, Virginia and I still live there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Hill,_Lee_County,_Virginia

Great history in SW VA and NC during Martin's days!
    What's next?
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Rose Hill, Virginia and I still live there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Hill,_Lee_County,_Virginia

Great history in SW VA and NC during Martin's days!
    The rebuilt fort and the annual re-enactment is something to see. The fort was built using tools like it was originally built as every part was built by hand.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    I was born in Knoxville, TN at the Forks of the River where the Tennessee River begins. I lived at my Great Grandfathers house that was built on an old Indian mound there at the mouth of the Holston and French Broad Rivers. The house was named the Mecklenburg and was built in 1790 formerly known as Gilliam's Station.

Below is a letter published in the Knoxville Register on April 6, 1862 with some history of the house by a reporter who was visiting from the Mobile Advertiser.

One of the early residents of the house was a well known historian of Tenn., Dr. J. G. M. Ramsey who wrote the first volume of the History of Tennessee while he lived there. Governor John Sevier, the first Governor of Tennessee, used to visit there often and attended the old Presbyterian Church that stood at the edge of the property.

I've still got some of the old leather bound day legers from the time the house was known as Gilliam Station where flat boats coming up the Tennessee River used to unload their goods onto wagons. They couldn't go any further upstream since there were shoals on past the forks. Those ledgers show people's orders of supplies dating back in the 1700's. They are written in quill and the handwriting is beautiful.

Anyway here is the letter.

A Visit to Mecklenburg

by "Ora"
    From Heiskell, S. G. Andrew Jackson and Early Tennessee History, vol. 2, pp. 117-118.

The following account of a visit to the venerable residence of Dr. Ramsey, is from "Ora," the Correspondent of the Mobile Advertiser, and was republished in the Knoxville Register of April 6, 1862.

"I enjoyed a most delightful visit, a few evenings ago, in company with the talented and witty editor of the Knoxville Register, Col. J. A. Sperry, at the house of the celebrated historian of Tenn., Dr. J. G. M. Ramsey, who resides at the junction of the Holston and French Broad Rivers, about four miles northeast of Knoxville. The road to the Doctor's house is a most delightful one, presenting some charming views of mountain and valley scenery. At the junction of the rivers, the Holston winds around a beautiful, undulating country, forming a picturesque, indented shore running from the north to the south; while some hundred yards above, it falls over a rocky bed making a pleasant murmuring sound and reminds one of the dark-rolling waters of the Danube. On the right is presented the mouth of the French Broad, running from east to west, with its high, rocky cliffs on the north side, jutting over some sixty-five feet. About three hundred yards from the mouth, under the cliff, gushes a clear, cool spring, which is approached by a small boat, the scene by moonlight is very exquisite.

"Crossing the Holston, you ascend a graded bank, and near a high Indian mound stands an ancient looking building, once called Gilliam's Station built in 1790, and now the residence of the venerable historian, surrounded by primitive forest trees. Near the main building is a small cottage, over which is still to be seen the Doctor's original "shingle," on a plain board about four feet long and one wide, which was once painted white, but now faded, with black letters still plainly visible, Doctor Ramsey.

"This was once the doctor's office and laboratory, and is still in its primitive state, while in an adjoining room is his library and museum. It was here he wrote his first volume of the history of Tennessee. The second volume which comes down to the times of the Mexican War, under Mr. Polk's administration, I learn is completed, the publication of which was prevented by the revolution. His museum contains many old Indian relics, and two pieces of Indian sculpture resembling very much the Indian style.

"About 100 yards from the house is the ruins of the old Presbyterian Church of Lebanon, rebuilt in 1807, the first built in Tennessee, whose pastor was the Rev. Samuel Carrick, whose daughter married in 1798, the Hon. Hugh L. White, formerly United States Senator. The old high backed pew is still to be seen, where Gov. Sevier, the first Governor of Tennessee, was want to sit with his friends Capts. Crosby and Reynold Ramsey (the grandfather of Dr. Ramsey), both soldiers in the old revolutionary army, who at that day wore powdered hair and cues, with cocked hats, shorts and ruffled bosoms and cuffs.

"In the old churchyard which contains the dust of a generation of over a century ago, is the tomb of Elizabeth Carrick, consort of the Rev. Samuel Carrick, who died in September 1783, at the time of the invasion of Knoxville by the Indians. The remains of both the grandparents of Dr. Ramsey also lie there, with Capt. Gillespie, the celebrated Indian fighter, and the old Indian chief Oconostota.

"But I must close this already long letter, expecting to write you the next time from the old stamping ground of Chattanooga."

Ora

I just love the history in your part of the country.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forgemonkey and m88, ya'll come from damn fine places as do many others on here. forgemonkey lives in one of the finest towns in the west but its growin. myself I was born on the Sunset ranch,2 miles northwest of Austin, Tx pop 26 people 6784 crossbred bovine and an endless amount of whitetails and good fishin
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My home town of Hillsborough, was established in 1754 with a land grant from Lord Granville, and named for the Earl of Hillsborough, on the Eno River where an Indian trading path that was in use. An Indian village was near by. Daniel Boone blazed a trail thru here on his way to Kentucky. Settlers had been in the area however from the late 1600s-early 1700s, before the town was founded.
    There are still over a hundred late 18th and 19th century buildings, homes, churches and other structures.
    From 1766-1771 people here fought British rule and taxes, called the War of the Regulation.
    A signer of the Declaration of Independence lived here, William Hooper.
    Revolutionary War General Francis Nash lived here, one of Washington's favorites. The City of Nashville was named in his honor.
    The Constitutional Convention was held here, which demanded a Bill of Rights be included.
    Was almost made the Capital of NC, but lost out to Wake Co. Probably a good thing.
    An Inn established here in 1759 ran continuously until a few years ago. Cornwallis headquartered here before going west to chase Gen. Gates, who also HQ'd in Hillsborough, and lost much of his army before heading back to surrender at Yorktown. He paved the mud street with cobble stones to save his dainty feet. I have seen those cobble stones, now buried deep under the pavement. The Inn was owned by my wife's family during the 1860s, and was saved from Sherman's bummers by her GGGmother when she hung her husband's Masonic apron from the balcony.
    Much more to this little town than I can list here. Now pretty much over run with Yankees, not many of the good kind unfortunately.
    It was a good place to live up to the 1960s. Changed too much since then, but the Historic downtown is listed in the National Register of Historic places, and not changed a lot from the past 100 years.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prairie Center...... Not sure where the name came from. Wild Bill Hickok was from Troy Grve just west. Live just outsude of Wedron. Named because WEEDRUN didn't fit when painted on the railroad sign.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I cannot claim a "Home Town". Moved and traveled too much for that. Have been through all 48 of these places, don't mean flying over or driving through without stopping either:

usmap.gif

Have spent most of my decades in Arizona. Also periods of years in Colorado, California and New York. Periods of months in Texas and Alabama. Nearly a year out of the country, at sea mostly.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Born in Mobile ,Alabama home of the second largest Delta in the United States....Great hunting and fishing when growing up! The CSA Hunley was first built in a machine shop next to the downtown Warf. First City to celebrate Mardi Gras! Scene of the Battle of Mobile Bay during the war of Northern Aggression!History starts around 1702...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile,_Alabama....I now live on the Eastern Shore...Great place to live if your a sportsman..within in a hundred mile radius, you can catch a Blue Marlin ,Kill a mature whitetail buck or play championship golf on the states Golf courses.Beachs and lakes....Fresh and Salt water fishing! Conservative area...[:o)]
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odessa, TX named by migrant railroad workers who claimed it reminded them of Odessa, Ukraine.