In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Payback

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited September 2006 in General Discussion
For the kids who know no History.

Whispers of "payback" are being directed at Hillary Clinton after she decried as "unprecedented" the surprise FBI revival of its probe of her email scandal.

That's because 24 years ago, as former President George H.W. Bush was surging back against challenger Bill Clinton, a special prosecutor raised new charges against Bush in the Iran-Contra probe, prompting Clinton to claim he was running against a "culture of corruption."

Many Republicans claimed that the indictment made by special prosecutor Lawrence Walsh against former Reagan-era Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger the weekend before the 1992 election cost Bush a second term. The indictment, later thrown out, challenged Bush's claim that he did not know about a controversial arms-for-hostages deal that dogged the Reagan-Bush administration.

Stay abreast of the latest developments from nation's capital and beyond with curated News Alerts from the Washington Examiner news desk and delivered to your inbox.

When it came, Clinton seized on it, saying for example, "Secretary Weinberger's note clearly shows that President Bush has not been telling the truth when he says he was out of the loop." Clinton added, "It demonstrates that President Bush knew and approved of President Reagan's secret deal to swap arms for hostages."

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Election battles spread to polling places

By Joseph Picard | November 1, 2010 12:10 PM EDT

In Houston, Texas, early voting has started and so have complaints of voter intimidation. The King Street Patriots, a local group with tea party affiliations, has sent out contingents of volunteers to monitor polling places for possible fraud. But critics, including U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-TX, contend that the monitors are intimidating voters, with the intention of scaring people away from the polls.

In Hennepin County, Minnesota, the state Secretary of State has ruled that poll watchers and poll workers may not wear campaign buttons or clothing or carry political signs at the polling places. But a group calling itself the Minnesota Majority, with ties to the tea party movement, is suing the state for the right to wear buttons.

They claim their First Amendment right to freedom of expression is being violated. They even say that the tea party is not a political organization. Others say they are trying to intimidate voters.

"From the reports we are hearing so far, I do not recall so much focus being put on poll monitoring as is happening this year," said Elisabeth MacNamara, the League of Women Voters national president.

MacNamara explained that the LWV places observers at polling places every election.

"For the most part, we observe for problems with the voting process - long lines, problems getting the right information, trouble with voting machines - those sorts of things," she said. "We observe and report these problems with the intent of improving the voting process and making voting easier for everyone. That's what the League and other legitimateobservers do."

But some poll monitoring that has been reported thus far this year is of another type, MacNamara said.

"Some of these poll watchers have, apparently, crossed the line and are interfering with voters," she said. "They claim to be monitoring, but they are being obtrusive and opinionated. They appear, according to reports, to be intimidating would-be voters."

The new poll-watching platoons claim they have organized to fight against voter fraud. MacNamara said that, year after year, there is very little voter fraud, and that most of the problems have to do with how the individual voting systems are working.

MacNamara said poll watchers are supposed to be unobtrusive.

"People don't even know we are there," she said. "But for poll watchers to interfere in the process - that is not what they are supposed to be doing. The League is very uncomfortable with this sort of activity, and we are happy to hear that the Department of Justice is taking measures to protect voters."

Last week, the DOJ announced that its Civil Rights Division will deploy more than 400 federal observers and department personnel to 30 jurisdictions in 18 states for the Nov. 2, mid-term election.

Two of those jurisdictions will be Harris County, Texas - that is, Houston - and Hennepin County, Minnesota.

Federal observers will also be on the ground in Dallas , Fort Bend, Galveston and Williamson counties, Texas; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Salem and Passaic counties, New Jersey; Orange County, New York; Apache, Maricopa and Navajo counties , Arizona; Riverside and Alameda counties, California; Cibola and Sandoval counties , New Mexico; Autauga County , Alabama; Bethel, Alaska; Randolph County, Georgia; Kane County, Illinois; Cuyahoga and Lorain counties, Ohio; Shannon, Bennett and Todd counties, South Dakota; Seminole County, Florida; Honolulu, Hawaii; Neshoba County, Mississippi; Colfax County, Nebraska; and Shelby County, Tennessee.

Although state and local governments have primary responsibility for administering elections, under the federal voting rights laws, the Civil Rights Division is charged with protecting the rights of all citizens to access the ballot on Election Day, the Justice Department said.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 prohibits discrimination in the election process on the basis of race, color or membership in a minority language group. In addition, the act requires certain covered jurisdictions to provide language assistance during the election process.

In the days leading up to and throughout Election Day, Civil Rights Division staff members will be available at a special toll-free number to receive complaints related to ballot access -- 1-800-253-3931 and the TTY line 1-877-267-8971 -- including allegations of voter intimidation or coercion targeted at voters because of their race, color, national origin or religion.

In addition, individuals may also report complaints, problems or concerns related to voting via the Internet. Forms may be submitted through a link on the Justice Department web page.

Allegations of voter fraud are handled by the 94 U.S. Attorneys' Offices across the country and the Criminal Division's Public Integrity Section. Complaints may be directed to any of the local U.S. Attorneys' Offices, the local FBI offices or the Public Integrity Section at 202-514-1412.

"We encourage people who have any concerns with matters at their polling places to contact the authorities," MacNamara of the League of Women Voters said. "Report any incidents or suspicions, and vote."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/77654/20101101/voting-rights-election.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was feeling a little raggedy for a coupla weeks so I called the family Doc, and he asked me to come in for a physical. I get in the room, he tells me to strip ALL my clothes off and go stand in front of the window with my butt facing it. I do,.. then he says "Bend over and spread em" . He wallks around, takes a long look, at the sunshine beaming in on my A**, and says "Good... now get dressed" So , while dressing I say " Waddya think Doc?" He says " Oh, your probably just pushing yourself a little too hard, just try to get more rest" " Ok, your probably right" I say " But what was the deal in front of the window about?" "Oh Dont worry bout that," he says... ... "Im just pi**ed off at the guy across the street" !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to sure this is not photo Shopped. But I was always taught that if I catch a thief he had better fall down a few times before he gets to the 1stSgt.

314502_10150489991624832_780739831_11177246_1146298667_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If they had thumbs I would really be worried.

1510707_390885734390383_1893529837_n.jpg
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Are you really bored

---[xx(][xx(]--JIMBO
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1