In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gin

tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
What is the best brand of gin?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Guy gave me a large bottle of Gin. The only drink I ever had was a Gin and tonic and it sucked. So, what drinks or uses does Gin work with? The best answer so far is hand sanitizer and he was serious.
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the martini is cold enough, I can't tell much difference. Of course, I drink martinis 3 and 4 at a time.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's a matter of perspective. Tanqueray is good, and so is Bombay saphire. I'm sure there are others that cost a whole lot more. But those are your premium gins that you can buy at any liquor store.

Ben
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tallcharlie

I'm more of a bourban fan but I would have to say Tangeray is the best common gin I've tried.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beefeater
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

After trying it once, I liked Donbit! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is said the Queen Mum drinks Beefeaters. Bombay Saphire is not bad.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    dunno ,if ya can get 'Gordons' mmm & tonic,[:p] ya'll after ask!![:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Read this....

http://damngoodwine.com/Gin7best.htm

course there are some that will disagree with the list....
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

After trying it once, I liked Donbit! [:D]

I don't think I would prefer being bit by Don.[xx(]
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tanquerey
    Pete
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Booth's. It's the spiciest gin that I've found after trying most of the popular brands. And it doesn't hurt that it's distilled in the USA and therefore considerably cheaper than the imported stuff. But, if anyone knows of a spicier gin, I'll try it.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Boodles is also good gin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: If the martini is cold enough, I can't tell much difference. Of course, I drink martinis 3 and 4 at a time.
    I prefer Gibsons. Onions seem to go better with gin, and it's hard to find a bar that serves pitted olives without the pimento stuffing.

Has anyone tried Ten? How about Magellan? Citadel? Magellan is really blue, not like Sapphire that comes in a blue bottle, but is really clear.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    dunno ,if ya can get 'Gordons' mmm & tonic,[:p] ya'll after ask!![:D]

Good god man that is right down there with Safeway's house brand ([xx(]). I like to try out few different brands (when they're on sale) but as for the old stand by I like Bombay Saphire.

Has anyone else tried martinis with "garlic" stuffed olives or "caper berry" stuffed olives? Even picked up a jar of "anchovy" stuffed olives but I wasn't that drunk to use them (yet[:D]). Now these were good in red sauce.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    A fag walks into a bar and says "I want a drink"

Bartender says "What Kind?"

Fag says "Gin"

Bartender (being an sweetie) says "We have thre kinds of gin. NITROgin, HYDROgin, and OXYgin...which kind do you want?"

The fag, knowing he is being kidded says " you know there are three kinds of turds too?"

Bartender says "Oh yeah, what?"

Fag says "MUSturd, CUSturd, and YOU you big sheet"
  • Options
    dogmandogman Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tacking1
    A fag walks into a bar ...

What a great word... fag.

Seriously, never tried a martini - an acquired taste or something those who consume enjoyed immediately?
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I had one once before dinner. Almost didn't make dessert. Was pretty lit on one. Shuttle fuel they are.

Saphire or Tangueray is my fave with 7up or in a gin bloody mary with a spoon of pickle juice. Nice dinner substitute, if the mood strikes you.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seagram's.
    I love the Knotty Head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The best drink of the day is that first sip of an ice-cold, extra-dry martini.

Unfortunately, after that you have to wait until tomorrow for the next first sip.[;)]
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Gin is somethig that I never developed a taste for but Mrs. K enjoys it. Her favorites are Bombay Saphire, Tanqueray (I like the looks of that green bottle) and Hendricks, which is a gin from Scotland and is rather unique (and tastes like it [V]) because it adds infussions of cucumber and rose leaves. I think the stuff tastes like crap, but then plenty of people say the same thing about scotch [:p]. The sweet and fruity martini seems to be the rage at the moment and my oldest daughter drinks apple martinis or those made with Midori, which is a melon liqueur from Mexico. Mrs. K likes traditional martinis: Gin with a splash of dry vermouth. All I want to find in a martini glass is ice cold vodka!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...A gin Bloody Mary with pickle juice?...Thanks alot, Paul. You just took away my craving for a BM for breakfast. I think I'll have a traditional one anyway.

...I've never been able to embrace gin. Just don't like the flavor of juniper berries. To me, it tastes as if I've been sucking on bitter pine needles.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go see the "Best vodka" thread.

Gin is a flavored grain spirit. . .ie its basically a Vodka flavored with Juniper berries, citrus, and/or other natural flavorings.

Historically Gin used to be the "Popov" of its day, cheap booze made quickly for poor people from left over ingredients. Flavorings were added to make it palatable.

Like "Grappa", another crappy cheap booze made from leftovers, give the beverage enough time, distance, and marketing, and a mystique develops.

Anyway, best brands are probably Tanqueray ten, and that Bombay Sapphire stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah,
    Don't confuse gin with synthetic gin.
    Modern gins are far more complex than many people realize. Here are the ingredients in two of my favorite brands:

Magellan
    Juniper Berries Cassia Cinnamon Coriander Grains of Paradise Iris Root Iris Flower Cloves Liquorice Cardamon Orange Peel
    Citadelle
    SavoryNutmegAngelicaCuminCinnamon AlmondIris Root JuniperFennel Violet RootParadise Grain Orange PeelCardamon AniseCubeb CorianderLemon PeelCassiaLicorice
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah,
    Don't confuse gin with synthetic gin.
    Modern gins are far more complex than many people realize. Here are the ingredients in two of my favorite brands:

Your point is good; yes, modern gin isn't the same kind of swill as the 19th century British Gin, or the "bathtub" gin of the American prohibition. There actually are quality "premium" gins now. No doubt about that.

I was just explaining the historical derivation of that drink. 100 years ago if you told someone you like to drink Gin, that would be somewhat equivalent to me telling you I like to drink MD 20-20! So its kind of ironic that now gin is considered a hoighty-toighty beverage of the upper class.

Anyway, your impressive ingredient list doesn't contradict what I said. Gin is still basically vodka (grain spirit) flavored with juniper berries, citrus, and other natural flavorings. Nothing wrong with that. . .different strokes for different folks.

Incidentally "grains of paradise" are the same as peppercorns (ie the black spice you keep next to your salt shaker and grind onto your steak!).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Grains of Paradise? Peppercorns? I always wondered.