In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Day at the range

yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Had a fun day taking a few of my wifes friends out shooting. They are hooked and all talking over what guns to get. [:D]

100_1882.jpg

100_1849.jpg

100_1875.jpg

100_1872.jpg

100_1865.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Friend and I went to visit my dad and shoot at his backyard (50 yd) range. Friend brought his new (to him, but used) 10/22 w/ 3x9 scope.

I played w/ my Anschutz 54 Match and didn't out shoot the 10/22 w/ irons. It might be time to scope the 54. Blast these old (58yo) eyes.

3/4 inch group @ 50 yards. Ruger had a trigger like pulling on a fence post. 1.5 MOA is better than I thought it could do.

10-22%20target%202_zpsgmmjsztk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a friend to the range yesterday. He brought two of his kids with him. They had a blast until we were out of ammo and it was time to go home and clean the guns. The younger one the boy got yelled at for not listening to instructions on cleaning but playing aroud.

PHOT0009.jpg

The older kid, the daughter listened to all advice and spent an extra 20 minutes trying to get the extra clean.

PHOT0015.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a buddy, his son and the nephew to the range today.

The young men had a grand time chewing up a brick of low cost Win 22.
    I introduced them to revolver shooting with a S&W Model 35 target.
    Another fella showed up with his son in tow. That young man was delighted to shoot "his" stainless chipmunk while dad was breaking in his new Springfield "Tactical" 45. He offered both of our youngsters the chance to shoot the 45. It's a good thing he brought lots of ammo. Teens seemed more then willing to shoot up ALL the ammo in sight.

Next time we are taking the Hi-power "toys".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a young lady that I'm dating and her nine-year-old son out shooting today. I took my dad's old JC Higgins 22 revolver and my 1911 45 ACP with 22 conversion., They were both Fair shots for the first time out And both were very safe. Both of them had to try my 45 ACP. Mama shot one round out of it. The son shot a couple of magazines out of it. They both said it was little bit too heavy for them.

Both of them said that they had more fun today than I have had in years, so it looks like we're going to have to have another Range day in the near future...

I really enjoyed helping Mama shoot. You know, wrapping my arms around her to help her, rubbing my hand down her back to make sure it's straight, running my hands down her legs and bottom to make sure they weren't all tensed (shhhh, I know having tense legs and bottom doesn't matter[:D])...[:p][:p]

Looks like I'm going to have to buy another Centerfire pistol but has less recoil than the 45 ACP so that they can shoot it[:D]... The things we do for women. I need another firearm like I need a hole in my head..[:o)]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Thats what I'm Talkin About.
    Thanks for taking the kids shooting[8D]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    get them into shooting when they are young, great job yawarakai, I love how the girl was more interested in maintanice[:D]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing better than getting kids involved in shooting as far as I'm concerned. Kids ARE the future. Nice pics.

But I'm also going to be the old grump here. Just asking, was there eyes and ears for the shooters? AND, gotta teach that kid to keep his finger off the trigger until he is ready to shoot.
    OK, lecture over. [;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: gotta teach that kid to keep his finger off the trigger until he is ready to shoot.

+1
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Nothing better than getting kids involved in shooting as far as I'm concerned. Kids ARE the future. Nice pics.

But I'm also going to be the old grump here. Just asking, was there eyes and ears for the shooters? AND, gotta teach that kid to keep his finger off the trigger until he is ready to shoot.
    OK, lecture over. [;)][:D][:D][:D]

Yes, the range had eyes and ears. The photo was taken at home when we pulled everything out to clean it. I basically had him firing the .22 rifle, he tried the .38 once and decided it was too powerful for him. The girl (12) tried the .22, .38 and .357 mag. She liked the .38, what got me was how much ammo has gone up at Dicks. I am going to start buying gift cards at the grocery store to get my gas perks there.
    As for the trigger, they were both told to keep fingers off the trigger, don't point at anything you don't want to shoot, no gun is ever unloaded. Like I said the 12 year old girl did a better job of listening. I might let her try the .30-.30 rifle
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree as above, but the first pic. the boy has his finger on the trigger. Rule 1, all firearms are loaded. Do not point the firearm at anything that you do not want to destory and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Safety has not been taught here.

spec.4
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go!!! Great pics. Don't worry no ones perfect and I'm sure you will make sure they learn properly. My son wasn't perfect the first several times at the range either but that's why close supervision is needed.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice job yaw !
    Boys are tough to get a message through their thick skulls. My dad taught me and my 3 brothers gun safety that started when we were very young. My dad was very strict when it came to gun safety. I am still pulling boot leather out of my butt from time to time from getting kicked in the *. I am the same way with my 2 kids. Please take them out again, we need more of that today !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was taught before I pick up an firearm about firearm safey. Safety is no accident and firearm are not toy. I was about 4 when I shot my first 22. And I was reaise with an rifle in my hands. My father still has it to this day But it is great that you take them. I have been teaching my neice about firearm safety and I don't live at their house yet but will in about six months. It starts before they see any firearm and I am making sure an accident does not happen in that house. I am going to get an cricket for her later when she is 5 year old.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yawarakai
    Like I said the 12 year old girl did a better job of listening. I might let her try the .30-.30 rifle
    Glad to hear eyes and ears were used.

Sometimes boys need a 2x4 upside the head to get them to listen. I know I did. [:0]
    JUST KIDDING

Do you have something a little lighter than a 30-30 for the girl to "start" with? Anything like a .223 or SKS or AK? Something that doesn't kick too hard. If she likes that, then (after she sees someone else shoot it first) ask if she wants to try the 30-30.

I think it's GREAT that your friend brought his kids along.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Do you have something a little lighter than a 30-30 for the girl to "start" with? Anything like a .223 or SKS or AK? Something that doesn't kick too hard. If she likes that, then (after she sees someone else shoot it first) ask if she wants to try the 30-30.

I think it's GREAT that your friend brought his kids along.

Actually in rifles the only things I have are a broken .22 and a 30-30 winchester. The .22 I have to get a new magazine for and recoil pad. As for revolbvers I have a .38 and .357 and broken .22 that I bought online (seller said it was in great condition, looked good when I got it, but when i took it to the range no bang. Seller had no clue as to if the gun was single or double action when I asked. It is double. local gunsmith thinks by sound of it it might need hammer replaced or spring tightened. it is a an HR 622)
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great , keep those kids into shooting , and remember the basic gun rules :
    All Guns are Always Loaded .....
    Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger until ready to Shoot ...(1st photo)?
    Never Point any Gun at Anything you do Not wish to Shoot ...
    Be Sure of Your Target ...
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That young man needs to be remindd not place his finger on the trigger until ready to shoot. Form those safe habits while their young.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree with those who say he needs to be reminded of not touching the trigger until ready to fire. I am going to let him use a blue gun for practice before taking him back to the range.