In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SaveWinchester.com Effort Update

GunGopherGunGopher Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
Hello all,

Just an update for everyone. It looks like we will get our 90 days to save the Winchester manufacturing plant and the legacy it holds. My partern in CT & I will have just this one shot to pull this off so wish us luck. The New Haven Register will likely be the first to cover the story, but it will be released nation wide.

If you haven't visited the site, please do so and keep coming back as our numbers are being watch very carefully.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    ... I'll bet the next Winchesters we see will be manufactured
    in Shanghi, Guangdong Province! Whatdaya bet?[8D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester and Edsel, different product, same outcome.

Let it die.
  • Options
    willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    Link?

SaveWinchester.com
  • Options
    KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off...(as per last shot show) Winchester is still marketing a 22lr (made in RUSSIA).
    2nd...WHY save Winchester (hold your anger kiddies). Ask MOST folks (who still play with guns) and they will tell you Win has not made ANYTHING worth owning in AGES! Further, Winchester is owned by Browning which, in turn, is owned by FN (in Belgium), so exactly WHAT legacy are we trying to preserve?
    Sorry kiddies...I just don't see the point in keeping ole Winchester on life support.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    there are enough winchesters...save our country from the illegal intruding alien meaniezez
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, the same brilliant optimism that allowed the decline in such companies and the rise of liberals. Its also the same optimism that lost us several investors. Turn off the lights and wait for the end eh fellas?

We aren't going to bring Winchester back as part of Browning or FN. USRAC will be removed and an American owner will take their place. FN lost the Winchester license, so nothing they make will be under Winchester unless the new licensee subcontracts to them. Olin owns the naming rights.

Winchester is going to come back with quality as good or better than Cooper, Kimber, Dakota or Pre-64 for that matter. Why would we bother to do it any other way?

Sorry if this is a little abrupt guys, but the worst enemy I've had to fight against in this effort are the pessimists in our own gun community. They don't believe Americans can make anything, generally they have a defeatist attitude, accept things like the decline in hunting, shooting, and rights in general and have done zip to reverse it.

I've put my career on the line here to stop the loss of American brands to foreign competition. All I'm asking for here is a little optimism and faith here guys.

Thanks

Mike

www.SaveWinchester.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe in American brands. I want to see Winchester continue in Hartford. Im sure alot of folks in that community need the jobs.
    Im not sure what my efforts could do to help the situation but you get my best wishes...
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Build me a nice 45-70 in a 1892 configuration and I'll buy it. Cowboy action shooting is at a all time high. Make a gun people want to buy with good quality and different calibers and you may have something. If you think lever guns are dead, explain Henry. Love to have a US made 45-70 Winchester. Buy the company and build it.

Got Guns?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick,

Not trying to do anything other than point out that we've got to be optimistic here. I agree whole heartedly with the military rifles. I can't really say whats in the works due to the non-disclosures in place, but lets just say there is probably going to be something for everyone. Don't mean to be snippy, just please be aware that those that would like to see this not work out have thrown back excerpts of responses back at us.

I'm also putting together a more expansive program to allow intrested parties to do more than vote. I'm looking at full development support for new arms and educational/promotional efforts. I'd like to see this as a chance to reverse the trends, increase hunting, increase shooting, work through the educational system to promote our sport, etc. We've got to go beyond just hunting, shooting, and voting ourselves and make sure we take others out as well. Of course its up to everyone to decide for themselves, but this is how I feel about it.

A little insight here on the finances is that USRAC was selling to Browning at a loss to themselves. So no matter how many they sold they'd still lose money. Ruger is an independent company that doesn't have its internal policies dictated to it by a parent.

Thanks again for all response

Mike

www.SaveWinchester.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quick,

Thats what I'm counting on! I've got a Winchester M1 Garand that I wouldn't mind seeing sitting next to a new one personally.

Thanks

Mike
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by K
    First off...(as per last shot show) Winchester is still marketing a 22lr (made in RUSSIA).
    2nd...WHY save Winchester (hold your anger kiddies). Ask MOST folks (who still play with guns) and they will tell you Win has not made ANYTHING worth owning in AGES! Further, Winchester is owned by Browning which, in turn, is owned by FN (in Belgium), so exactly WHAT legacy are we trying to preserve?
    Sorry kiddies...I just don't see the point in keeping ole Winchester on life support.
    Legacy try these for legacy Model 94 , Model 70 (the Riflemans Rifle)
  • Options
    willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont understand why you want to buy a dead company that lost their customer base years ago. You have the investors and it seems like you have some winning ideas, thats all you really need. It doesnt matter what name you put on the gun, if its a good product at a fair price than people will buy it. I think that you should start a new company, use the money that you would spend on buying Winchester to buy brand new equipment and start your own "American Legacy".
  • Options
    KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take no joy in watching the demise of Winchester. SADLY there is no market base for them any longer.
    With the Mart marts getting out of the gun biz (yes...I HATE seeing guns being sold by UNTRAINED mo mos and the mart marts BUT...), I think we can expect to see Ruger, Savage, Remington and such take MAJOR HITS to their bottom lines.

One question we have been asking at the shop where I work is "WHEN was the last time YOU bought a NEW gun?". You may be a sad and shocked as we have been by the answers.

I, for one, am AS GUILTY AS THE NEXT MONKEY! The MAJORITY of the firearms I OWN are 20 yrs old and OLDER. NONE of those purchases have helped the current gun industry ONE BIT. WHY are most of mine OLD? QUALITY!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    K,

That is an interesting point. My question is what is the average age of your shoppers? The shop I setup was in response to the unfortunate situation I see locally. Most shops aren't too friendly to younger folks and other groups. A local guy I won't mention directly has a shop and if you aren't over 50 or his personal friend he really acts like an * towards you. I've redesigned how the gunshop is marketed and my average customers age is now some where in the low 30's to high 20's. We sell 80-90% new firearms. 25% of our buyers are first time buyers. I can't really add myself into that mix as I buy about 10-20 firearms a year that I keep, probably another 5-10 that I buy play with and trade off. I've got everything from Shiloh Sharps, to 450 Marlins, 460 S&W to Remington 25 pumps and krag actions so I'm about 50/50 on new to used.

With Cowboy action shooting as the fastest growing shooting sport, the Lever Action Silhouette Shooting, and the drive of baby boomers to recapture their youth this brand has exponential potential. This is especially true in the global market. The reaction out of Australia has been incredible.

I agree 100% that quality has to be there, with guys like Doug Turnbull showing interest and the latest CNC equipment combining technology and Craftsmanship I have no doubt that we can make a product that will match or exceed any firearm made before anywhere.

Hopefully I can help this company make a product again that everyone will be proud of. With any lucks some of the new designs I'm putting forth will help further this.

Thanks

Mike
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I see nowhere on the sight that would permit investing. I think you may be surprised at the support that's out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    Build me a nice 45-70 in a 1892 configuration and I'll buy it. Cowboy action shooting is at a all time high. Make a gun people want to buy with good quality and different calibers and you may have something. If you think lever guns are dead, explain Henry. Love to have a US made 45-70 Winchester. Buy the company and build it.

Got Guns?

I dont think thats even possible, try a 1886 winchester...they already made it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    could you wait to resurect it untill I inload this big batch of post 64 model 94's I have in stock...the price has doubled in the past 3 months[:D]