In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

60's colt python

Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
In original box,6", barely has a turn ring on the cylinder for 1200.00. Is that a decent price, or should I stay away? TIA

Comments

• KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the box numbered to the gun? If so thats a big plus. $1200 would be a bit on the high side but still within range. Would be a decent investment. Look it over closely and if all is correct pay the man.[:)]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    In original box,6", barely has a turn ring on the cylinder for 1200.00. Is that a decent price, or should I stay away? TIAYou are kidding, right [?][:0]

If the box is the correct original box serial numbered to the gun, original grips, and there is no other wear on the Python than slight evidence of a turn ring; then yes, $1200 is a very good price for a 60's Python!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUY IT. One went for this with deep cyclinder turn marks about a year ago and no box. Had a low ser.# however. Might be able to find it in the "Smart Search" page.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, Old-Colts is right. A 1960s Python in top condition with the correct box would likely sell for $1600-$2000 today. A run of the mill Python without the box will easily bring $1000-$1200.

And yet Colt can't figure out a way to make new ones at a profit. Sheeesh.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    BUY, BUY, BUY!!!pythons keep going up in price. last year that gun would max at $1K, but $1200 isn't bad nowadays. youl be able to sell it for what you paid, or more, down the road if you ever decide to.
    just make sure it locks up tight and the timing is good.
    at that price you could even afford to send it to colt for a "tune-up if needed.
    just be careful, Pythons can be addictive!
    just my 2c
    tom
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    are you buying it to shoot, collect or invest in? 6 inch barrels are bringing less than 4 inch, 4 inch less than 2 1/2 and none of them bring as much as a 3 inch.
    If I were looking for a shooter there are plenty of 95% guns that go thru the auction for under $1000 and I would buy a stainless gun they are much easier to keep clean and new looking. JMHO