In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why do Turkey loads have

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
to be so hot? I see guys on TV killin'em at 10-20 yds, Looks to me like plain-old hi-brass 6's would do the job for a lot less money...Not to mention the beatin a 3.5" Mag. #2's put on a shooters shoulder.[B)]

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    They are tough birds...and you definitely need to take a head shot. I've seen their feathers stop shot.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    They are tough birds...and you definitely need to take a head shot. I've seen their feathers stop shot.

+1 their feathers are akin to armor plating.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Yea, I think the 3 1/2" magnum stuff is a bunch of hooey. All it does is lengthen the shot string, thus making the pelets in the rear disperse the shot at the front of the string. You can only push a #4 pellet so fast, and after 50 or so yards it looses energy no matter how much powder you put behind it. I will stick with 3" shells for turkey and am perfectly happy if I have to use 2 3/4"! The key is to just get one pelet in the neck or head![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use a 20 gauge. 2 3/4 inch, number 5 shot on turkey, works fine..
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years back I got 12 turkeys in one shot. Shopping cart was damn near full.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Here in Fl, it is legal to use rifles for turkey. Should I have a chance to do it, I'll take my Savage in 22 magnum. Should be good for headshots out to about 100 yards...
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not that hard to kill. But you do have to put the shot in the neck or head. The tighter the pattern the better your chance of doing so. More shot generally equals a tighter pattern at longer ranges when coupled with the right barrel and choke combo. The shell of course is only as good as your gun will pattern them.

You are correct, regular #6 shot will work fine within the range of the shot and gun it's coming out of. If you get close enough #9 shot will kill them. Most people do not have the time to hunt enough to know they will get that close to one. So they want all the advantage they can get in case the opportunity they get to kill one is at a longer range. Remember they can still kill the close ones too.

Most deer are killed within 100 yards, many inside 50 yards. So why carry a 300-400 yards rifle? Just in case that's why. That is the same reason people invest in long range turkey set ups and the ammo to shoot through them, just in case.

Besides all that, it's an ammo marketers dream, they have to make a living too.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 3.5" shells at turkeys, and it it gives me any more of an advantage then so be it. You need every little bit with these crazy birds.

The 10 to 20 yard shots you see on TV are not the norm. I have hunted turkeys for over 30 years, and I have rairly taken a bird at less then 20 yards. I have taken some 50 yard plus shots, and I contibute the 3.5 with success at these ranges.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    I use a 20 gauge. 2 3/4 inch, number 5 shot on turkey, works fine..

Where do you turkey hunt in FL?

I tried turkey hunting a couple times when I was going to school in PA, was not too good at it, but for never having done it before I guess it was to be expected.

I definitley want to get out and try again soon, but around Vero there aren't many places to hunt.

Chris
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    I shoot 3.5" shells at turkeys, and it it gives me any more of an advantage then so be it. You need every little bit with these crazy birds.

The 10 to 20 yard shots you see on TV are not the norm. I have hunted turkeys for over 30 years, and I have rairly taken a bird at less then 20 yards. I have taken some 50 yard plus shots, and I contibute the 3.5 with success at these ranges.

Trinity +++
    So you think the size of the shell gives you more distance?
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    to be so hot? I see guys on TV killin'em at 10-20 yds, Looks to me like plain-old hi-brass 6's would do the job for a lot less money...Not to mention the beatin a 3.5" Mag. #2's put on a shooters shoulder.[B)]

hollow bones. you can hit them with whatever you want but it will bounce off if you dont hit them just right..

amazingly strong birds
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chazahowitska game preserve tht surrounds our shooting club is around 8 thousand acres just full of turkey. Hell ya can find all ya want in most large houseing developments aroud here. Turkey everwhere you look.. I have one place that I can go and I know I will have my turkey in less than an hour.[:D]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Watched a guy out in Okeechobee use a 10ga. muzzle loader to turkey hunt, says he can throw more lead in one shot, than 2-3 shots of 12ga. shell loads.I didn't see him kill it, but saw the bird and the shotgun. The bird's head was mashed-up to a pulp![:D]Said he blasted'em at about 30yds.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like the super ultra mag rounds that people have to have for deer. Some people have to have the newest and biggest. I've killed plenty of turkeys with an old Model 12 and #6 shot.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've killed plenty of turkeys with an old Model 12 and #6 shot.

i have too, but i have also killed many a turkey at 80 steps with a 3.5" #4 shot with my mossberg
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I use 3" 4s. Killed a bird a couple of years ago at 65yds.[:I] I would have told you it was 45 when I pulled the trigger. I think I got lucky.