In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Renaissance Festivals?

dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in General Discussion
Anyone else go to these? this will be our second year.
http://www.michrenfest.com/main.htm
NO we don't dress up.
Don
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep got them here to this time of year. There kinda fun.
    http://www.norcalrenfaire.org/
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been to a couple of SCA events, but kinda the wrong era for me. No BP guns.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Weird stuff, crazy girls...
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I had a great time at the one in KC.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to one once, it was a blast. some of those chicks that dress like they're from the year 1200 or whatever... looked fine. [:)]
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just went to the K.C. festival last week. It has got quite large the last few years. It's amazing how high those wenches can push their chests up without hurting themselves.[:0] It go's on for six weekends through September and October. Lots of fun.[^]

http://www.kcrenfest.com/
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Weird stuff, crazy girls...

They're not girls, they're wenches
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 30 minutes from the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, we go every other year.

http://www.parenfaire.com/
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Used to go every year to the Ren Fest in Serling, NY before the kids, drinking mead and carousing, then with the kids with a little mead but no carousing, til the divorce. We had a great time.
    T'was all in the spirit of good fun.
    Would love to go again.
    One of my constant pieces of jewelry, those which I never take off, is a pendant that I had cast at the Faire. It had a flaming Viking ship on the front with little happy Vikings being taken up to Valhalla, and on the back are dolphins, the mariners symbol of good luck, oh, and because I'm a Miami Dolphins fan.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Southern California. Had a neighbor that claimed that she was having a Renaissance Festival. I thought it was odd that almost everyone was wearing black (some dark gray). Kept a close eye on the kids, pets and property line for a few days. I notice the pictures posted have lots of color. Do they ever have Renaissance Festivals where they mostly wear black?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Never heard of that. But many people who are Wiccans or sort of Wiccans do gravitate toward these things, and society being as it is, one does not generally walk down the streets announcing one is a Wiccan .
    However, I have never been to one where all participants dressed in black or grey.
    Is she a member of a particular branch of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)?
  • Options
    bluecollarbluecollar Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    went there for the second time this year a week back, saw a lifelike joust competetion horseback and all, hot girls in weird outfits, shows so dirty i wouldnt let an 18 year old watch, all the while drinking beer and smoking big cigars. go, they are fun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is she a member of a particular branch of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)?

I don't know. I don't know much about Wiccans but I understand that they are big on collecting plants and herbs. So was this person.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to the Celtic festival a few times.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Used to go every year to the Ren Fest in Serling, NY before the kids, drinking mead and carousing, then with the kids with a little mead but no carousing, til the divorce. We had a great time.
    Would love to go again.
    One of my constant pieces of jewelry, those which I never take off, is a pendant that I had cast at the Faire. It had a flaming Viking ship on the front with little happy Vikings being taken up to Valhalla, and on the back are dolphins, the mariners symbol of good luck, oh, and because I'm a Miami Dolphins fan.

Do you dress in costume for the faire?[:p]
    My wife was thinking about getting a costume one of these years.[:p]
    I like the turkey legs and beer.[:p][:D]

Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    Would love to go again.

Do you dress in costume for the faire?[:p]
    My wife was thinking about getting a costume one of these years.[:p]
    I like the turkey legs and beer.[:p][:D]

Don

Never did the costume, but I would love to.
    With the turkey leg.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chollagardens

I don't know. I don't know much about Wiccans but I understand that they are big on collecting plants and herbs. So was this person.

Being understanding of plants and herbs ( or affecting an understanding of plants and herbs) does not cast you as a Wiccan, but it might. Most Wiccans I have known are, by and large, loath to harm anyone. Be mindful of those misguided fringe believers, like occurs with most mainstream religions.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife went this year, NO costume.
    I didn't go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Wife went this year, NO costume.
    I didn't go.

You should try it, beer, turkey legs,(smoked/roasted?) big pickles, wenches in costume[:p][:p] some of the shows are a little racy, but they also have blacksmith / armors shows/demonstrations that are quite interesting.
    Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wundudnee
    I just went to the K.C. festival last week. It has got quite large the last few years. It's amazing how high those wenches can push their chests up without hurting themselves.[:0] It go's on for six weekends through September and October. Lots of fun.[^]

http://www.kcrenfest.com/
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Being understanding of plants and herbs ( or affecting an understanding of plants and herbs) does not cast you as a Wiccan, but it might. Most Wiccans I have known are, by and large, loath to harm anyone. Be mindful of those misguided fringe believers, like occurs with most mainstream religions.

+1
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't been in several years ... might go to the one in KC this year. Union Station also has a display from the Pixar movie "Robots" that I've heard shouldn't be missed ... regardless if you have kids or not [;)]
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1

I've met numerous Wiccans in my life, the majority being women. There were all very gentle, intellectual, feelings-oriented and friendly. Never felt threatened around them or whenever we were in social situations or engaged in active conversation. It was pretty much a non-issue all the way around.
  • Options
    edited November -1

That is pretty much how I figure it. I am more convinced that she didn't have a Renaissance Festival and don't care if she is a Wiccan as long as she isn't a misguided fringe believer as you said. There was some cult problems about that time and it is possible she didn't want any attention.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to the big Northern Cali Faire for the past 4 years in a row (now located at Casa De Fruta, east of San Jose). In fact, my wife went this weekend, but I decided to pass this year. And yes, we do dress up. I have to say that dressing the part makes it about 1000% more fun. You can get a costume pretty cheap, I recommend this place:

http://www.bytheswordinc.com/

Even if you are a first-timer, I recommend dressing up. Guys can easily buy a few yards of flannel plaid fabric and make a simple Scottish Tartan (ala Braveheart), which is perfectly acceptable for the period. Just be prepared to get a lot of looks and smiles. When you dress up then it is like saying "I'm in!", and you are fair game for being interacted with by other faire folk.

And, yes, you can accessorize with firearms of the period. Remember, Renaissance covers the period from the late 1400s through the 1600s, so you could carry a musket, blunderbus, or period pistol (merely as a stage piece, and within the bounds of local laws).

Be prepared though, Ren folk are a bit odd at times. There are people that make these events the most important things IN THEIR LIVES. There are costume Nazis, people that will critique the "authenticity" of your costume. Just ignore them, they are small-minded idiots that live in their own fantasy world. There are also the Guilds, groups that have organized to sponsor faire activities. If you join a Guild then you are expected to really "play the part", such as volunteer to work at the event, stay in character by all times (like speaking Old English), and wait hand and foot on the officers of the guild. I never cared much for the Guilds because it seems like a big waste of time, money, and effort.

And finally, yes, the Wiccan crowd is definitely drawn to the faire scene (at least in NorCal). Also there are a lot of the angry/frustrated drama students from nearby colleges and high schools, and the "Goth" crowd sometimes attends. There are a lot of Hippies (they are the ones who started the Ren Faires), and a pretty high percentage of Gays and Lesbians attend as well. So if you aren't comfortable around those "types" then maybe the Ren Faire isn't for you.

-Wolf
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ma and I have been to The one in Manheim, Pa several times as well as the one in Sterling, Ny, and one in Wisconsin!!! The Faires are great fun and we really enjoy them. If you haven't been to one ya really ought to try it!!!
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    I went to a great one in PA when i lived in Delaware(dela...where?) lol. It was a great time, i got to see a blacksmith making swords and i played this game Called Drench-a-Wench about 10 times because the wench was fine!

Also, i have a wiccan friend who broke down the whole thing to me one time. She said "Yes i am a witch!" "Im not a dark witch"(evil she meant) she told me she beleived that she could be one with the earth, they set up shrines, and there "spells" are equivalent to prayers. there all about nature. She also said as a Wiccan she could never do a spell that would affect some one else negative. All in all i think theyre just peaceful people, a little weird, but good people.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    In 1993, my friends drug me to the one in Larkspur, CO. It was just days after my wife left me. Best therapy in the world.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    The one in Crownsville, MD is really just a sell-fest. About 90% of the stuff there is just selling food or swords or some other overpriced trinkets. I used to dress as a pirate but they prohibit all weapons, including reproduction ones (ornamental blades, cap guns, etc). That really kind of negates the pirate outfit. BUT you can buy and wear any weapons that you buy in the place. So obviously this is to get you to buy more crap!

Its too bad too because the renfest is a permanent facility with really nice buildings and the grounds are awesome.
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any renaissance festivals in southern alabama or close to the montgomery area.Been here a year.We moved here from virginia we had one close to go to there.Yes my wife and i have the costumes.[:D]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I've been to the Colorado Renaissance Festival a few times. Some of the comedy acts are cute, but for the most part, I've always found it hokey and cheesey. The only reasons that I've gone beyond the first was because someone else who had never gone wanted to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolsforfools
    Any renaissance festivals in southern alabama or close to the montgomery area.Been here a year.We moved here from virginia we had one close to go to there.Yes my wife and i have the costumes.[:D]

[:p][:p] We need pictures (of your wife, not you)[:D]
    Don
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It has been here every year for 10+ years. I have gone 2-3 times as a customer and have worked it in years past as an off-duty job.

There are a whole lot of people marching to a different drummer that attend and staff the events. By and large it is a fun time.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Wife went this year, NO costume.
    I didn't go.

You should have taken off your costume and gone naked too. It would have been fun![:p]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are great down here in Texas. This is opening weekend for the one just North of Houston. $21 to get in seems a little pricey for families.

Watch the "King of the Hill" episode where hank gets the propane contract when they visit Arlen.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Used to go every year or two with my daughters to the one in Sterling Forest, NY. It was easygoing fun, nothing at all like a day at Six Flags Great Adventure. [:0]

The vendors usually had some neat stuff made from leather, silver, pewter, iron and wood. Food was good too. And the ever-so-slightly ample, but well-endowed and friendly wenches were truly lovely as well.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Ma and I have been to The one in Manheim, Pa several times as well as the one in Sterling, Ny, and one in Wisconsin!!! The Faires are great fun and we really enjoy them. If you haven't been to one ya really ought to try it!!!

I used to live in Sterling and Tuxedo Park, NY, and made a few of those festivals.

Now I know who the guy with no shirt on who grabbed my turkey leg and ran off was...
  • Options
    peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a site with links to many festivals.

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/