In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Look, Ma, No Air! Check These Out!

zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Radical New Tire design by Michelin

Thought you might like to see the next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the Philadelphia Car show.

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do and just think of the impact on existing technology:

a.. no more air valves
b.. no more air compressors at gas stations
c.. no more repair kits

ATT3.jpg

ATT2.jpg

ATT1.jpg

BEST1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Talk about low profile. What type of mileage can one expect on these?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a copy of a 1959 popular Mechanics around here, somewhere, that had an article about new revolutionary fiberglass tires that were supposed to get a minimum of 100,000 miles on a set!

Goodrich bought the patent and sat on it - seems the tire manufacturers couldn't stay in business unless folks bought tires MUCH more often that that!
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder how stiff the ride would be in cold weather, and if the ribs would crack if you hit a pothole when it was 20 below? Interesting concept though.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    ReserveWCSOjrwReserveWCSOjrw Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want I want I want I want....those look kool!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Up in Canada, the Canadians don't tell Polak jokes - they tell Newfie jokes - they consider those from Newfoundland to be backwards and they generally like to poke fun at them. Usually the Newfie loses ... but in this case they are poking fun at Americans. Here's one I got from a friend in nova Scotia - it's tire related!

Newfie, a little man, was sitting at a bar in Toronto, when this huge, burly American guy walks in. As he passes the Newfie, he hits him on the neck knocking him to the floor. The big, burly Yankee says, "That's a karate chop from Korea."

Well, the Newfie gets back on his barstool and resumes drinking his beer. The burly American then gets up to go to the bathroom and, as he walks by the Newfie, he hits him on the other side of the neck and knocks him to the floor. "That's a judo chop from Japan", he says.

The Newfie decides he's had enough and leaves. A half hour later he comes back and sees the burly American sitting at the bar. He walks up behind him and smacks him on the head, knocking him out. The Newfie says to the bartender, "When he wakes up, eh, tell him that was a crowbar from Canadian Tire."
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canadian Tire, the K-Mart of the north.[:D]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not drive in mud they'll load up and shake the hell out of you on the road.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ZIP
    quote:b.. no more air compressors at gas stations
    ...and just where do you find a gas station now, that has air for your tires?...[:D]

perfectworld.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: Do not drive in mud they'll load up and shake the hell out of you on the road.

Now there's one to ponder! I wonder if they are selfcleaning - teflonflex- like coated! I'm also wondering how they would do in high speed super flex cornering situations. I know in offroad racing you wouldn't have that sidewall protection for the rims.
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a more conventional note, I was listening toa car show on the radio the other day and they were talking about filling conventional car tires with nitrogen instead of air. Apparently the nitrogen helps the tires run much cooler, extends tread life and enhances performance.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I want mine with white walls.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'd rather walk than run tires like those.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Errr, this was announced over a year ago at the North American International Auto Show in DETROIT, M.I. (January 9, 2005)

It is called the "TWEEL". Sort of old news in the US Auto Industry.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father uses Nitrogen in his tires now, I forget what station he had his service done at last and they installed it.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:hughbetcha
    Advanced Member

USA
    4998 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 : 4:36:28 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    On a more conventional note, I was listening toa car show on the radio the other day and they were talking about filling conventional car tires with nitrogen instead of air. Apparently the nitrogen helps the tires run much cooler, extends tread life and enhances performance

Yep, aircraft use nitrogen as badwrench said, it's also not sensitive to heat change.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    That would real kool with some spinner hub caps!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Ugly. [xx(]

Me no buy. [:(]
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not for me [xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i would not be caught with those in a wisconsin winter (inside joke) lol[:D]