In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Shops Await New D.C. Rules C&P

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
D.C. resident Anthony Mason walked into Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring on Friday afternoon and asked a question the staff had heard all day: "How can I buy a small handgun?"

"With the overturn of the gun ban," the retired Metrobus driver began to explain to the sales associate behind the counter.

"We're telling everyone to wait 30 days," said Atlantic manager Dale Metta, something he's repeated dozens of times in the past few days. "We can't do anything until the D.C. government says, 'These are the rules.' "

Gun shops in suburban Maryland and Virginia felt an immediate impact from the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling Thursday that the District's handgun ban is unconstitutional. City leaders said it would take about three weeks to iron out the details: Which kinds of guns will be legal, and how will the registration process work?

But with the court clearing the way for D.C. residents to legally arm themselves, many wasted no time.

Mason and about 50 other people called or came into the Atlantic as of Friday after the ruling. The well-stocked gun store next to a tattoo and body-piercing shop is about a half-mile from the District border, making it one of the gun shops closest to the city and among the busiest after the ruling. It's been in the same brick, one-story building since 1955.

"We've had a lot of people inquiring," Metta said. "What's happening now is a huge history maker."

He said his best-selling handguns are Glocks, Berettas and Rugers, which cost $350 to $700. People usually say they want them for self-defense, or sometimes as collector's items, he said.

Mason, 53, who lives in the Brookland area, was looking to buy a gun for his wife, who works at a hair salon that was recently burglarized.

"I would feel more comfortable knowing she can protect herself if I'm not there," Mason said.

Having a gun around his house offers him a measure of security, he said.

"If people looking for trouble know you have protection, they'll usually move on," he said.
Dozens of gun stores are close to the District in Maryland and Virginia, as well as several ranges and training facilities.

Atlantic has another store in Rockville, where owner Stephen Schneider said he's not expecting a windfall once D.C. residents can legally buy handguns.

"It depends on how difficult the District government will make it for people to own handguns," he said. "If they set the bar 10 feet high and no one can jump through it, what's the point in trying to get one?"

His father, George Schneider, opened Atlantic Guns in 1950 on 14th Street NW in the District and relocated several years later. Stephen Schneider said he has no designs to reopen a store in the city, because he's not sure it would be profitable. He said it depends on the red tape involved. He has other concerns, too, including crime.

"At present, we don't plan on it," he said.

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Atlantic guns is about 10 minutes from me. It's where I bought my HK and Baby Eagle (at full price I'll add). They have pretty poor prices but the people there are great.