In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Friend passed away, and I'm confused

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My buddy had been suffering from emphysema for years. He had been as active as possible until the last several months, but he had been bed ridden for a while. His wife (second wife, no kids by her) had been getting more and more distant as his health failed. I had been visiting him every weekend for the last few months, but I talked to him last Friday and told him I wouldn't be coming this weekend because I had to work Saturday and would be taking Sunday off for Mothers Day. He understood. Said he would see me next weekend.

His wife had told me over and over how much of a burden he had become. I went to visit a few weeks ago, and when I walked in, I asked her how he was doing, she said, "I don't know, I haven't been in there today." It was after 3 in the afternoon, and it hit me kind of funny.

She called today to tell me he had passed away. We talked a little and there were several things that bothered me.

1) She told me they had talked last night and she had told him that it was going to be her worst Mothers Day ever because he was too sick for her to have her children over. (Wow, what a thing to say)

2) She told me that he had removed his oxygen line and had died in his sleep. (Suicide)

3) She told me that she didn't find him until after noon. (She didn't check on him before that or get him breakfast?)

4) She told me that if he was trying to help, he didn't because this was now a big mess with the police and coroner all over the place, and now there has to be an inquest and an autopsy before she can bury him and get on with her life. (Did the talk last night mean he needed to "help" with getting things over with?)

5) She told me she needed to get off the phone because she still had to notify his children. (She called me first?)

I know chronic illness can harden you up, but this sure seems like she was too distant and encouraged him to "go" as soon as he could.

He was a good man and a hard worker. Please remember Ronald (Ronnie) Dean's family in your prayers. I guess she'll let me know when the funeral is.

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    My buddy had been suffering from emphysema for years. He had been as active as possible until the last several months, but he had been bed ridden for a while. His wife (second wife, no kids by her) had been getting more and more distant as his health failed. I had been visiting him every weekend for the last few months, but I talked to him last Friday and told him I wouldn't be coming this weekend because I had to work Saturday and would be taking Sunday off for Mothers Day. He understood. Said he would see me next weekend.

His wife had told me over and over how much of a burden he had become. I went to visit a few weeks ago, and when I walked in, I asked her how he was doing, she said, "I don't know, I haven't been in there today." It was after 3 in the afternoon, and it hit me kind of funny.

She called today to tell me he had passed away. We talked a little and there were several things that bothered me.

1) She told me they had talked last night and she had told him that it was going to be her worst Mothers Day ever because he was too sick for her to have her children over. (Wow, what a thing to say)

2) She told me that he had removed his oxygen line and had died in his sleep. (Suicide)

3) She told me that she didn't find him until after noon. (She didn't check on him before that or get him breakfast?)

4) She told me that if he was trying to help, he didn't because this was now a big mess with the police and coroner all over the place, and now there has to be an inquest and an autopsy before she can bury him and get on with her life. (Did the talk last night mean he needed to "help" with getting things over with?)

5) She told me she needed to get off the phone because she still had to notify his children. (She called me first?)

I know chronic illness can harden you up, but this sure seems like she was too distant and encouraged him to "go" as soon as he could.

He was a good man and a hard worker. Please remember Ronald (Ronnie) Dean's family in your prayers. I guess she'll let me know when the funeral is.

She probably put him down.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have my condolences. I lost my best friend of 25 years last January and it is very difficult.

With respect to the man's wife, I would not post anything else here and would share the information you have with the police. I am always a conspiracy theorist but this sounds like she either took off the O2 while he was sleeping or made him feel so guilty he took it off himself.

Best regards
    Regards, MAALOX
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you lost a good friend. God be with you. It also sounds like she was very detached. Serious illness can have differing effects on people. Trust me. I know.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Try not to judge til you know the whole picture. I know the cop in you wants answers, but you have to allow for the human side of things also.
    My condolences to you and your friend's family.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Danny,
    You wont ever know if there was an agreement between them on when the end was near. Let it go and enjoy the memories of your good friend.
    No good will come of it if you dwell on the what ifs.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss Danny....always hard to loose a friend.....
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danny , I'll say a prayer and raise my glass .

Do what you feel you need to do .

His memory will not be " clouded " by the out-come .

Best during these times , SxS
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss hope things get better for you soon.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent...truly sad story.[:(]
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    Sorry about your friend.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, that is sad; I surely wish he could have spent the time he had left in comfort, peace, and happiness! Prayers said for his family.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Try not to judge til you know the whole picture. I know the cop in you wants answers, but you have to allow for the human side of things also.
    My condolences to you and your friend's family.

I'm not a cop, just have a lot of friends who are.
    edited November -1
    I don't know where this uneasy feeling is coming from, but it just won't let go. I think something stinks!
    edited November -1
    I don't know where this uneasy feeling is coming from, but it just won't let go. I think something stinks!

From love of your friend.

He is at peace now.

Let the rest of it fall where it will...
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss
    edited November -1

I know he only had a few more weeks or months left, but I also know he was planning to see me next weekend until they "talked" last night.[V]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

From love of your friend.

He is at peace now.

I agree. If and when it is my day, I hope the wife or true friend by my bedside has the strength to grant me peace. If I am in the hospital I pray the Dr. will grant me more morphine than needed to ease me thru.
    edited November -1

I know he only had a few more weeks or months left, but I also know he was planning to see me next weekend until they "talked" last night.[V]

One of my best friend's father was dying in a hospital. She had a non-stop vigil by his bed. He finally told her she should go to the cafeteria and get something to eat. She questioned him, then, after he reassured her it was okay, she left. While she was gone, he died.

Let the dead bury the dead first.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I know that feeling and it's seldom wrong.

Look at it this way, maybe your friend is actually the winner in this situation. His struggle is over, she gets this as her Mother's Day memory for the rest of her life. No matter how bitter and twisted she is, I can't see that being an easy thing to live with.

R.I.P. Ronnie
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard at a "certain age" autopsy is automatic. As for what conspired that day. I'd wonder if she topped dude (pretty sure the cops are looking in to the insurance) since not checking on dude is odd.
  • big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent for your friend.His suffering has ended.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Danny,
    You wont ever know if there was an agreement between them on when the end was near. Let it go and enjoy the memories of your good friend.
    No good will come of it if you dwell on the what ifs.

sounds like good advice from a friend.

[:)]

b
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm very sorry....sounds like she will get what she deserves.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    This brings back a memory, only difference is your buddy's illness is terminal. My friends was not and he died at 52.
    It was a shock to me, and it stunk, yes indeed, to me anyway.
    I bought it up to a friend who had known him the same amount of time as i had and was told, no,it was just his time, that I should not pry.
    There was no autopsy, not needed I was told for some reason.
    Heff, my sincere condolances, I agree with classic095 on this one, forgive me.
    You know what, I told myself, if I am wrong, what am I doing to his grieving wife?
    Like I said, this brings back and old wound, and when I gather my senses and thoughts, I may post the entire situation of my friend and see what GB thinks.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry for your loss.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "She probably put him down."

I think so too...[V]
    Sorry about your friend, i sure hope it didn't go down that way, but, if it did, i hope she pays for it.My prayers tonight will be with him, his friends and family.
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    Do you plan on speaking to the police/investigator(s)? Considering your suspicions you probably should. They may appreciate hearing from you. You can relate what you know without being accusatory. If she did him it could be tough to prove, however, if the investigator(s) were alerted they might be more conscious of inconsistencies in her account and it would facilitate questioning.

Ron
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. i know that there is a lot going on for her, but in my eyes there is no excuse for a woman to act that way. my theory is if you truly love someone you do everything within your power for them. you dont look at a loved one as a burden. ive seen older folks visiting spouses in nursing homes. they feed them, there was one lady that even insisted on changing her husbands depends when she was there. "he's my husband, and he would do the same for me" she would say.

no offense but it sounds like the wife is a real b---h![:(]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry. He is in a better place. Let it go. I am sorry. Sounds like they may have made the choice together.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,869 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your friends passing, Danny. Prayers for him tonight.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    If I were in that position I would not need another to put me out of my misery, I would handle it myself. Your suspicions are just that, suspicions. For you to come on here and say the things you did is in very poor taste imho, and sounds much like an old hen clucking. You must think very highly of yourself to think that he would put you ahead of his own suffering and situation. Terminal is terminal and perhaps the pain was just that much more than he wanted to continue to bear.

I find your post self serving, rude, inconsiderate and border line libel. Play Sherlock Holmes if you like, but you will get no sympathy from me on your outrageous, unsubstantiated claims.

Oh, I am sorry for your loss, but I am happy your friends suffering is over.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss, may he R.I.P.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    even if she didn't "help" things along,..she sounds like a self centered b!itch[:(!]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    My condolences. I know it is hard to think about right now, but people do fall out of love, and that often leads to falling out of like too. She probably hated him and his illness made it worse for her. Yes she could have and should have showed more compassion, but I suspect that she was filled with rage towards him.