In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need a .22 semi auto

lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
for shooting in my local club steel matches. .45 is eating me out of house and home in ammo and I need a .22 to shoot cheap(er). Give you recommendations on brand/model and suggest where I can find one if you know a good place.

Shot in a match today and 3-4 of these matches in .45 ACP and I can afford to pay for a new pistol in .22

thanks for your usual good tips.

looking for pistol guys, sorry, got a Browning rifle for .22, needing a semi auto pistol.

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lindalecowboy
    for shooting in my local club steel matches. .45 is eating me out of house and home in ammo and I need a .22 to shoot cheap(er). Give you recommendations on brand/model and suggest where I can find one if you know a good place.

Shot in a match today and 3-4 of these matches in .45 ACP and I can afford to pay for a new pistol in .22

thanks for your usual good tips.

Not a fan of most things by Ruger, but the 10-22 is a decent rifle...For a Ruger.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My father-in-law uses a 22/45 by Ruger to practice with.

He swears by them.

I've got a MKII, and I love it, but the grip angle is probably too different from your 45, so it might not be a good fit. See if you can borrow a 22/45, or find some way to shoot one to see if you like it.

The MKIII's are cool and all, but a used MKII might be cheaper.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked up Smith 22a for less then 300.00 at basspro that has been good
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170

I just shot one last weekend. Loved it. Great sights. Better than average trigger.

Pertty damn accurate, too.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

I just shot one last weekend. Loved it. Great sights. Better than average trigger.

Not really familiar with it. Mag or tube fed?
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

sort of my front runner right now, that's why I came here to ask for your thoughts...... looks like a great pistol for the money and met a guy today who claims to have put 200,000 rounds through his and it's still tight and shootin great. ??? (his claims, not mine)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

mag fed
    edited November -1

Not bustin' chops. But as a point of clarification from lindalecowboy's original post.

"Shot in a match today and 3-4 of these matches in .45 ACP and I can afford to pay for a new pistol in .22"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Lindale,
    I own a 22A. I like the pistol. My only gripe, is that cheap plastic recoil buffer. I wonder if their is another manufacter that makes a better one?
    It came with a spare, but I don't like them. Breaking it down is a pain IMO, but simple enough.
    DO NOT shoot those damn cheap thunderbolts through them. Ask me how I know.....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lindalecowboy

mag fed

For some reason I was stuck on rifle. My bad.....
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger 22/45 for the money pretty close to the feel of a 1911 IMHO.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my buckmark...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You say you have a Browning rifle and if it is a Buckmark rifle, why not get the pistol and use the same mag? I know the Ruger MKx has a good following but I dont care for them.

Also since you are doing match why not go for a conversion of whatever you .45 is? Most of the major styles of guns have .22 conversions made for them. This way you have the same operation no matter what you shoot.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger 22/45 mark III target. You can find it for around $275.

Here it is: http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10107&return=Y

What you will like about this gun is the familiar feel of the 1911 in a polycarbonate lower and a steel upper. Gun has great balance and a sleek look in stainless or in black. Several styles and prices available. Comes with dual mags and a hardcase.

I think you will find the new S&W to be heavy. However, checkout the older model 422. Ultra light, nice shooting gun. it will cost you as much as a new one, but they are pretty hot guns right now. GB has a few in the $275 range.

Not sure what type of .45 you are shooting, but if it is a 1911, a .22 conversion kit can cost you upwards for $450 right now. Since ammo is scarace, everyone is running to .22. I watch an auction end this past week just over $450 and that was for a conversion kit only.

If you are shooting a Glock, those kits are easier found, while not plentiful, at $250-$300.

Judging by your name, I assume you are in Lindale, tx.? If so, I am not sure if it would be worth the trip or not, but Ammo Depot has the mark III 22/45 for $245 out the door.

Good luck.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all of the RUGER MK Series as well as the 22/45 and I think they cant be beat. They will shoot flawless and are very accurate.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop by the shop. i have a Ruger MK III in stock from davidsons i could make a deal on for you. Not super cheap, but it is a 6 7/8 inch target model.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my recommendation is a cz kadet, factory not conversion....one of the best out of box 22s going...same size as cz 75b in 9mm
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    not cheap, but if you can find a used S&W Mod 41, preferably one with the "A" prefix serial number, that doesn't cost as much as a morgage payment, that's be the ticket.
  • TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Ruger MKIII is one of the most accurate pistols I own. Its just a pain to clean, you have to hit the thing with a hammer!
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think any quality 22 auto pistol (included all of those mentioned so far) would serve you well. I can tell you my personal favorite in accurate 22 pistols is an older Ruger Mark I I snagged a couple years ago for $200. Came with the original black and yellow box and looked like new. Maybe the most accurate pistol I have ever used.

standard.jpg
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bull barrelled Mark III hunter with a leupold scope, I love it!
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrupoBPT
    My Ruger MKIII is one of the most accurate pistols I own. Its just a pain to clean, you have to hit the thing with a hammer!

Main reason why I didn't suggest it the first time I cleaned mine I think I came up some new foul words not a pistol for someone with no patience
  • chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a S&W 622, love it,very accurate. Not too bad a price.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the money, a Smith and Wesson Model 41 is perhaps the pinnacle.

Next on my list would be a used High Standard, they can be had reasonable.

Moving on down would be a used, (no longer made), Colt 6" Cadet, or later called the .22. Don't get a 4". The lack of adjustable sights is the only reason. Striker fired pistols have a longer lock time too.

A Ruger, or a Browning are fine pistols, once you get over the pain in the rear of cleaning them.

There you go....My opinion, for what it is worth. I'm sure many will disagree.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I think the 22/45 is a good piece.
    but if youre shooting target and, if youre using a 1911, i would go with the conversion kit.
    not cheap, but you wont have to "re-learn" your technique for a new gun.
    jmho
    tom
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Ruger Mark II 5 1/2" bull or 6 7/8" Bull government model
    edited November -1
    I asked for it and I got it. Thanks a ton for all the opinions, that's what I'm looking for and learning from.

jeffb, I'll stop by later this week and check out your collection. I'm obviously going to be looking for some ammo too so join the hard search for bricks and let me know if you get some.

thanks everyone. I'm seeing a lot of good info on a few models to check out and choose.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    ive got the ruger 22/45 stainless, it`s worked great for me, and it`s accurate as well...i paid about 3 times what you can get them for...but thats about normal for here these days[:(]
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger MKII bull barrel. Its a great gun. Very accurate.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrupoBPT

Main reason why I didn't suggest it the first time I cleaned mine I think I came up some new foul words not a pistol for someone with no patience

You are not the only one!
    I sold a MKIII SS bull barrel recently simply because of the PIA to fieldstrip.

Mind you,......it can be done fairly easily with practice, but it is not for those lacking patience.

Other than that, a very nice, accurate .22 pistol.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    I was checking out the new SIG mosquito and it has a good feel to it.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    +1BilloinMillion

My father-in-law uses a 22/45 by Ruger to practice with.

He swears by them.

I've got a MKII, and I love it, but the grip angle is probably too different from your 45, so it might not be a good fit. See if you can borrow a 22/45, or find some way to shoot one to see if you like it.

The MKIII's are cool and all, but a used MKII might be cheaper.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    You want the best and most accurate? Browning Buckmark hands down IMHO. I use one to shoot squirrels in the head (head shots only) up to 50 yards easily. Has target barrel and use a Swedish red Dot sight that can be tuned in on a very very fine dot. Golf balls are super easy at the fifty yard range. As accurate as any .22 rifle within the 50 yard range. Try one you will like it. Hope this helps.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    Hey, I almost forgot....
    I have this FANTASTIC 22lr semi I could let you have cheap!
    it's only got 6 rounds thru it, so it should be good for at least another hundred or so![;)][xx(]
    they don't make 'em like this anymore!
    (if they do, they shouldn't!)
    I'll send it to you in pieces so you won't have pay an FFL transfer!
    let me know
    tom

20081107jimenez0037qx0.jpg
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom, i should take you up on that offer in case one of the scum i deal with at work turns out to have a bb gun,,,
    seriously though, for a GOOD .22 auto i would go with;
    1- the Smith 41
    2- the Smith 22A (i have been using the 22A-1 with good effect in the club match)
    3- any of the Ruger MK- models
    all are reasonable in price and will probably be more accurate than what you can shoot
    another option in the $300 range is a .22 conversion for your .45
    a great point in doing this is you are useing the same platform you are used to
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning Challenger
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    I was checking out the new SIG mosquito and it has a good feel to it.

I liked the gun too, but for the price, they could give a guy a second magazine....
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beretta Neos. Very simple to clean and it comes with two of the friendliest mags I've ever used. After a couple hundred rounds with Fed bulk not one failure. X