In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jim Clark 1911

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
While I was at home this morn waiting for a repairman to fix my heat I started going through some guns I hadn't messed with for a while that I will probably sell soon. I have a 1911 that Jim Clark built back in 1969. A retired Army Colonel I knew walked up to me at our gun club pistol range. and handed me this 1911 and a box of factory Remington 185 gr semi wad cutters and told me to shoot it and let him know if I wanted to buy it. I put a target up at 25 yds. and fired five rounds. This was 20 years ago I could still see pretty good and was shooting a lot. Standing shooting two handed that five round group measured 1 5/8". I shot a second group that was almost exactly the same. I walked over to the rifle range and asked my buddy how much? $1200.00. That was a good bit 20 years ago but the gun was like new and I really wanted it and he wouldn't take a penny less. It's only money and the gun is as good as ever.

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what sort of gun did Jim Clark start with for your gun? A Colt? A Springfield?

I've got a Clark built Colt 38 AMU conversion from the late 50's, early 60's. The story about my Colt is that it cost a case of beer.

Those sure were the good old days. It is said, during that same time frame, that one could go to Perry with a 1911 frame and come home with a National Match pistol for a carton of cigarettes or a pint of whisky.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is a Colt made in 1967. I owned two and both were excellent. I don't know about getting something like that cheap. The Chows, and Swensons, and Clarks I have seen for sale always brought good money.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what's it worth today? Double? more? Do you have documentation that this Clark fella did the work?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    So what's it worth today? Double? more? Do you have documentation that this Clark fella did the work?

Clark signed his work. My 38 AMU is signed on the inside of the slide. Later, Clark signed the outside of the slide(s)
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Heyyyy,let's do a gun of the month swap. You send me that and I'll send you a Taurus PT22 to try out. But only for a month,I'll want it back,,