In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chinese investors betting on Detroit comeback

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Chinese investors betting on Detroit comeback, buy up real estate
RTX11WAW.jpg

interest in the market.

"I have people calling and saying, `I'm serious -- I wanna buy 100, 200 properties,'" Chen said. She added that a colleague had recently sold 30 properties to a single Chinese buyer.

Chinese housing is among the most expensive in the world. Capital controls also make investing big sums in overseas stocks or property a challenge.

Buyers seem to be purchasing purely as investment, and don't plan on moving to Detroit anytime soon. Though Chinese realtors had planned tours of the city in late spring, many were canceled when investors didn't receive visas, according to Chen.

Since there are no plans to live in the homes, shopping remotely from China is not a problem. "They say, `We don't need to see them [the properties], just pick the good ones,'" Chen said.

This may be only the beginning of a buying trend. Wei Kefei, an organizer of a Beijing property fair, told state-run Global Times that Chinese were investing now and expecting Detroit's economy to come back, helped by the city's auto industry. "Some people did rush to buy houses in Detroit, betting on the U.S. economic recovery, which they believe will boost development in the auto industry," Wei told Quartz.

The buying craze was so significant that China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs warned citizens about the risks of investing, and the many hidden costs that buyers take on when they purchase U.S. real estate.

Chen doesn't seem as convinced as the Chinese of the Motor City's recovery. She compared the chances of the city's housing market turning a profit to winning the lottery. "Thirty-five years ago downtown Detroit was like this and it's not getting better."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/chinese-investors-betting-on-detroit-comeback-buy-up-real-estate/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2aZ3dD1tx

Comments

• Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    When the city writes tickets for tall grass, trash in the yard and other fines it could get pricey. Montgomery will knock abandonded buildings down and the put a lein on the property for the costs. Something they shoulda done
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like a real nice fixerupper
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Put a couple of rusty cars on cinder blocks and a pen full of yapping pit bulls in the yard and that house would be typical of what most of the subdivisions south of Metro Atlanta have become.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So.... Detroit is gonna be the "NEW China"... Interesting.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What could possibly go wrong with this idea?
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the same politicians running the city. I think I smell a bailout coming.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    property there is a great deal if you have time on your side. There is no way it will stay that way forever,..so when it gets burned/bulldozed/etc and the land is cleared, you could be sitting on some great property money,..especially if it is zoned commercial.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    property there is a great deal if you have time on your side. There is no way it will stay that way forever,..so when it gets burned/bulldozed/etc and the land is cleared, you could be sitting on some great property money,..especially if it is zoned commercial.
    But I'm all out of yuan (yen)...
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I have heard that Asians will gamble on anything. I have personally witnessed them splitting tens.[:0][:D]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMERICAN taxpayers will be forced to bail out the chinee investors when their gamble goes south...bet me
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chinese base their decisions on decades and centuries...long term, not years as we do so they just might come out on top, again.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sort of like when Japanese investors bought Pebble Beach only to find it was a public golf course and they couldn't get it zoned for condos.